Ready to move on, but an interesting thought...

Chuck 54

Reaction score
This was about to be buried over in the other forum...I wondered if anyone had any opinions on this thought. Are we so talented the past two years that the offense has come to rely on the big play, losing the determination, patience, and discipline to grind it out (which doesn't mean all running, but also long drives with short passes in tight games), and has the offense been so prolific that the defense has adopted to the extreme the bend-but-don't break philosophy that allows other teams to keep the ball in hopes we stop them for FG's, but maybe losing the mind set and aggression to get a 3 and out on their side of the field to give us good field position. No facts in my opinion; and I wonder if maybe this isn't also true of the coaching staff. This is no answer to why we lost one game or why we haven't won a playoff game...it's always more than one thing. I just found this quote interesting and it made me think.

Thoughts?

Originally Posted by Cbz40;2297284
“We've got to learn,” Thomas said, “nothing is going to be easy.”

Thomas is new to this, but he probably already understood. These Cowboys like things easy.

They like the pace of the early season, and they like stats.

I think there's alot to this quote...Maybe this very talented team likes things easy. We've grown accustomed to big scores, long plays, quick strikes. It's not just the players either...maybe that's also Jason Garrett to an extent. It would certainly explain the lack of patience or determination with the running game...he is a former QB after all.

I hope playing some of the worst teams in the league the next 3 weeks doesn't build on "easy" ... I want the big plays, huge scores, and blowouts, but hopefully the team will learn how to win a grind-it-out game.

What happens to this team when another defense holds us to 17 points...is that an automatic loss? What happens in a close, physical game when you are trying to burn clock or keep the defense off the field or are trapped deep in your own end...will we have the fortitude to run, run, run...can we make 3 and a cloud of dust on our way to first downs? What happens if we have to play part of a game without TO, or without Witten, or without Romo? Teams face that all the time...will we have what it takes to find a way to win by playing better defense? Will we get any 3 and outs that give us good field position? Will we have the determination, will, and discipline to grind out patient drives that require a mix of running and short, take what the defense gives us passes without blowing it up with a stupid penalty?

These are all good questions, I think. We have the makings of a great football team, but maybe we do like things easy because so much of our season is easy due to our talent...I don't know...just thinking about that line. We know we can win some close games with big plays because we did it last year, but can we gut out wins when we have to do it with defense or slow ball control?

Maybe we'll have to learn how to play that type of football to insure success in the post-season...I don't know...just thinking about it.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
That sounds just like my dad when he goes down the "we are mentally weak" road. You are expressing the opinions of many on the board.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
I don't know about the team, but I know I appreciate the easy wins far more. I don't lose 20lbs walking around my front room in the last quarter.

Maybe we are just too damn good

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;2300371 said:
I don't know about the team, but I know I appreciate the easy wins far more. I don't lose 20lbs walking around my front room in the last quarter.

Maybe we are just too damn good
I don't know. I love the cliff hangers. It's the only place where heros and legends of the sport are made.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
ABQcowboyJR;2300362 said:
That sounds just like my dad when he goes down the "we are mentally weak" road. You are expressing the opinions of many on the board.

haha...I would never call guys like Ware, Ellis, Hamlin, Henry, Romo, Barber, etc. weak minded. I just think over the last two years we've come to really rely on the big play, and it's been there much of the time. We're young, and I think maybe...just a maybe...maybe we haven't learned how to win in some of those situations because we haven't had to face some of them...and it seems we lose the close ones or pull off a big play. This team is a little different from the grinding team we had in the 90s...that team would grind the will out of the defense with long, long time consuming drives. And that defense, with Haley, seemed to get more 3 and outs, but that's probably just my old age memory. :)

Daudr

Reaction score
ABQcowboyJR;2300376 said:
I don't know. I love the cliff hangers. It's the only place where heros and legends of the sport are made.

I love cliff hangers for other games. I want the Cowboys to totally dominate their games. There is no fun in heart attacks and short fingernails.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Our current Cowboys are a capable squad but they definitely do not have the patience required to win a World Championship at this point. When things don't go as planned, its almost like they don't "buy" it and repeat the same mistakes.

Our offensive prowess reminds me of the Fouts San Diego Chargers teams in the early 80's, and the recent Bengals squads before their collapse to their current state. Good- but lack heart in times of crisis. I'm not saying we don't have heart, but we definitely aren't used to reaching deep down.