Realistic Adjustments to Give Us a Chance

TexasBacon

Reaction score
Even the title of this sounds pathetic. Thanks Jerry and co. Here's what I think this team could actually do (the trades are a stretch unfortunately) to help contend, or at least try to -

Current Roster:

Get Bland back. That's the easiest thing. Hopefully at the latest he's good to go for Detroit. Then we won't have an obvious CB for teams to exploit.

Something has to be done about Guyton. Between the penalties and continuously getting Dak destroyed, he is a downright liability. I think he'll be fine eventually, but let him be swing tackle for now. While Steele has his moments, he's at least somewhat competent. Somewhat. I'm not a fan of moving players but Bass is by far the best lineman not starting but he's only a guard. Slide Tyler to LT and Bass to LG. I suppose you could also start Hoffman at C and put Beebe at LG but I'd continue to let Beebe develop at C. From what I heard from camp, none of the backup tackles are as good of an option as having Tyler at LT and Bass at LG.

Give Bell and Thomas more looks at Safety, if not start one or both of them. I think they are as good, if not better than Hooker and Wilson at this point. We need to figure out who the best two are and play them.

Give Luepke more carries. Treat him like McCaffery. Not just because he's small and white, lol, but because he has that same kind of power, albeit to a lessor extent I'm sure. Also, let the RB's get more momentum before rotating. There were several times Rico strung together good runs last night only to be spelled for the rest of the series. Zeke actually doesn't look bad either, but I think Rico and Luepke need to get the majority of the carries.

Maybe make Turpin WR3? We need a WR besides Lamb to get separation. Tolbert is just a JAG and Cooks is finally showing his age. I'm sure there's a reason Turpin isn't getting any more snaps at WR but something has to give. Which lead me to...

Trades:

I think we are OK on RB. It's not great, but I don't think we should spend draft capital on an RB at this point, nor do I know of one we could acquire for a very late pick that would be better than what we have. So, trade for -

DT - Mazi is showing promise but I would spend even a 2nd on getting a good DT from teams who are still rebuilding. We are going to need that for the next several years anyway, so may as well go for a good player with the cap room we have from signing Dak and Ceedee. Preferably a DT with some pass rush ability too.

WR - This team desperately needs another threat at WR. If Cooks were WR3 we'd be in much better shape. We need a Higgins/Chase or AJ Brown/Smith dynamic that we just don't have, or anywhere close to. Or at least a WR that can get some separation.

I know it's unlikely that Jerry will make one, let alone multiple trades in-season, but I think if he's serious about helping this team those two positions are a must. Unfortunately, I don't know who to suggest for either DT or WR, but there have to be some candidates on Carolina, Jacksonville, Cleveland, etc. Would trading for Amari be too crazy? He obviously still hangs out with the team and has a great rapport with Dak, and I bet he could be had for cheap. I haven't watched him enough to know if he's lost a step like Cooks, but assuming he's the same player as last year I'd definitely do that unless Jerry can find a younger WR with more upside that's available.

I'm sure I'm regurgitating points that have been made elsewhere but this is what I think needs to happen to even have a chance at the division.

John813

Reaction score
Guyton is the left tackle by trial by fire. Hopefully, they'll have more double teams/TE chipping for him. Dexter Lawrence I assume was priority #1.

Front office, publicly, is pushing hopium on their current RBs.
Not sure if they enjoy the farts they are pushing out or are secretly asking teams about a RB.

All for another, better DT, but who?