Reality TV confrontation takes unexpected twist

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Associated Press

FORT WORTH — The creator of the Dallas-based reality television show Cheaters said his crew didn't know a 40-year-old man had a protective order preventing contact with his estranged wife when they accompanied him to her workplace last week.

In the show, viewers ask Cheaters private investigators to follow their mates around town and prove they're having an affair. Presented with sometimes lurid evidence, the jilted lover is allowed to confront the cad on the air.

Rafeal Gutierrez intended to confront Maria Gutierrez about her relationship with a Fort Worth police captain. Police said he was with a TV crew last week when it approached her at an Arlington fitness center where she works.

Maria Gutierrez told police that Rafeal Gutierrez placed his hands on her, preventing her from escaping the TV crew.

Bobby Goldstein, the show's executive producer and creator, said he has reviewed the taped footage and did not see any crew member touch Maria Gutierrez or prevent her from leaving. He said the show's representatives didn't know a judge had ordered Rafeal Gutierrez to stay away from the woman.

"He never mentioned it to any of our crew," Goldstein said. "The crew found out during the course of the confrontation and immediately withdrew when they learned that was the fact."

Two charges of assault with bodily injury of a family member were filed against Rafeal Gutierrez on March 4, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported. He was accused of assaulting his estranged wife in Grand Prairie twice in February.

After the TV incident, an arrest warrant was issued for Rafeal Gutierrez, and his attorney said he planned to surrender once bail arrangements are made.

"They're going to have to prove their case," attorney Jay Lucas said. "The videotape doesn't show assault, in my opinion."

Meanwhile, police said they have launched an internal investigation into the behavior of Fort Worth police Capt. Duane Paul, who was apparently videotaped in a car with the woman. Paul, who oversees the east patrol division and used to the department spokesman, has declined to comment.

Cheaters is shown on the WB Network.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3179337

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"They're going to have to prove their case," attorney Jay Lucas said. "The videotape doesn't show assault, in my opinion."
However, if there's a protective order, then he shouldn't be anywhere near her. Period. And to me that's all they have to show.

With all the feel-good shows that WB likes to produce, I'm betting that they prolly make more money off this one.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
This is the same show were the host was stabbed during a confrontation I believe.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
This is the same show were the host was stabbed during a confrontation I believe.

Same Show... I hate shows like this

k19

Reaction score
Reality TV sucks. I'd rather watch the flinstones