Reason we haven't signed a FB?

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Was just watching the Eagles/Cowboys game from last season (the one on Monday Night). Didn't pay a whole lot of attention to Polite till the end of the game.

The dude was laying people out. Totally annihilated his man 2 plays in a row (on the last drive).

I think the reason we haven't signed a FB is cuz we don't need one.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Rack, Ive been saying this all offseason.

Polite is good young cheap and will get better.

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
Polite is awesome, definately 1 of my favorite players on this team after just 1 season here. there is somn about his name that makes it fun to say when he makes a big play. and he's a descent blocker and a descent reciever, but hes young and learning . . . not to mention that we only have 1 FB, what if he goes down? then we bring hannam in at FB, or Spears like we did last year, or what?

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
The reason is simple. BP does not believe in the FB position. He has said that he came very close to going with NO FB at all last year and the year before so that he coould carry another TE. It is just one more of Parcells quirks.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
The reason is simple. BP does not believe in the FB position. He has said that he came very close to going with NO FB at all last year and the year before so that he coould carry another TE. It is just one more of Parcells quirks.

BP has had a FB on his team every year he has been a head coach, and next season will be no different.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Rack said:
Was just watching the Eagles/Cowboys game from last season (the one on Monday Night). Didn't pay a whole lot of attention to Polite till the end of the game.

The dude was laying people out. Totally annihilated his man 2 plays in a row (on the last drive).

I think the reason we haven't signed a FB is cuz we don't need one.

I agree

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Rack said:
BP has had a FB on his team every year he has been a head coach, and next season will be no different.
Yes but he thinks so little of the position that he has (by his own admision) seriously considered not carrying one. He has gone with only one FB on his team several times and left Polite (his only FB) inactive for at least one game (and I think more) last year. We will have one but my point is that it is simply not a top priorty for him.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Yeah ok whatever.

My point still stands. Polite did just fine, and it was his first full year playing in the NFL. He'll be fine.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
the issue with polite is not blocking. he blocks well. its running and catching and playing special teams.

BP just wants a more versatile guy or else polite will continue to get iffy playing time.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
jterrell said:
the issue with polite is not blocking. he blocks well. its running and catching and playing special teams.

Yet there were a whole bunch of people here complaining about Polite's blocking last season. Not saying you were one of them, just point it out.

sago1

Reaction score
When the Jets cut all those players, must of us just assumed we'd pick up a lot of them--one of whom was FB Sowell--apparently a pretty good FB who in addition to his blocking, can also run & catch. But the only guy we signed was OT Fabini. Just think that Cowboys & Parcells have decided to sign players near 30 & older only as a last, and I mean last resort.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Polite is OK for what we ask of the FB which is very little.

Hannam though will take some of Lou's playing time. We tried Campbell as a lead blocker/H-back type but he was just too tall to get good leverage -- same with Pierce and Ryan -- all are 6'5". Hannam is only 6'2" so he's better (not ideal) as a lead blocker. I actually think that is why Hannam was targeted - so he could take 5-10 snaps a game as a lead blocker

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
Reason we haven't signed a FB?

Because Ryan Hannam could play FB and TE.. so if the Cowboys want to keep Polite deactivated for two games maybe three Hannam knows how to play Fullback.. Hannam is like Chris Cooley...

AbeBeta

Reaction score
RealCowboyfan said:
Hannam is like Chris Cooley...

now hold on here. Cooley is a stud with fantastic hands who caught 71 balls last year and has 13 TDs and 108 catches in his two year career.

Hannam is a backup TE who has 22 career catches and 2 tds in his 4 years in the league.

I like Hannam and think he was a great pickup but these guys aren't in the same class -- there is simply no comparison between them.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
abersonc said:
now hold on here. Cooley is a stud with fantastic hands who caught 71 balls last year and has 13 TDs and 108 catches in his two year career.

Hannam is a backup TE who has 22 career catches and 2 tds in his 4 years in the league.

I like Hannam and think he was a great pickup but these guys aren't in the same class -- there is simply no comparison between them.

Cooley also starts.. Joe Gibbs just put him in a right position to make plays.. that's all.. im not comparing skills just versatility

AbeBeta

Reaction score
RealCowboyfan said:
Cooley also starts.. Joe Gibbs just put him in a right position to make plays.. that's all.. im not comparing skills just versatility

so if Hannam started he would make those plays? come on.