Rebuild starts with defense

Reaction score
Although statistics will say our defense was above average, IMO the scheme is the reason we have consistently not won the big games. “Bend but don’t break” may work against lesser QBs and teams that make mistakes, but it will NEVER work against playoff caliber QBs and teams... First, fire Marinelli/Richard and replace with a DC that values big bodies up front, goes multiple fronts depending upon opponent, and bringing pressure from all levels. Second, get big bodies at DT; let Collins, Bennett, Hyder, T Crawford go. Third, trade for Jamal Adams. A decade without a playmaking, enforcer S is enough. Fourth, resign Quinn if price reasonable. Fifth, move Jaylon to WOLB permanently. He is not a MLB. Move LVE to MLB and hope he gets healthy and stronger. Sixth, resign Byron if price not outrageous. Let A Brown go. Draft more CBs and pay no one else at the position. Just keep adding youth to J Adams and B Jones. Thoughts?

b0xZZ

Reaction score
I know our LB's are trash. Jaylon Smith is not good and LVE looked pedestrian before he got hurt. Lee was our best LB and he's as dependable as a wet fart.

chicago JK

Reaction score
Yes, I don't think you can improve that group to elite in one offseason, but they need more talent.

I think one stout Defensive tackle, one defensive tackle who can get penetration, a playmaking safety, and veteran depth who are tough and smart and can also play special teams is needed.

The LB have been poor this year, but I would like to see if they look better with better Defensive tackle play. I think improving Defensive tackle with talent and depth is the quickest way to get improvement in this defense. I would probably shy away from high priced FA too. The last thing this team needs is more high $ guys who don't play to their contract. The scouting staff needs to work some magic this offseason.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Not sure I agree. While the offense looks ok on paper, they aren’t producing on the field.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rebuild starts with the acknowledgement of the FO that a rebuild is necessary.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Defense is going to see a ton of change due to FA.

Pretty much the entire secondary is a reset. Maybe some of this is due to scheme of staying in zone and continually allowing 6-7 yard catches, but Jones is going to be too expensive, Awuzie can’t look back and our safeties are scrap. I would expect this to look vastly different next year.

DL will be adjusted inside as this group is poor. Expect an overhaul between vets and rookies here as well.

Probably too much to solve in one season, but this group has alternated between good and awful to varying degrees.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
Adding a quality DT and safety would be a nice first step.

Defense is going to see a ton of change due to FA.

Pretty much the entire secondary is a reset. Maybe some of this is due to scheme of staying in zone and continually allowing 6-7 yard catches, but Jones is going to be too expensive, Awuzie can’t look back and our safeties are scrap. I would expect this to look vastly different next year.

DL will be adjusted inside as this group is poor. Expect an overhaul between vets and rookies here as well.

Probably too much to solve in one season, but this group has alternated between good and awful to varying degrees.

Need to get couple of DTs like Haloti Nagata