Rector at PR?

Natedawg44

Reaction score
Green was absolutely electric at LSU. I haven't seen anything even close to that now. Anyone think Rector gets all of the snaps at PR in the final preseason game?

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Cowboy from New York said:
If we see Rector return punts against Minny then I think Green is done.

i think you may be right. however, i'd like to see Green get a few more chances.

BP did say somewhere that, besides T. Glenn, Rector is the only real "quick" guy on this team. Thats a pretty good quality in a PR.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
we only have 4 options at PR:

Green- has to show something in this next game.. he is the very definition of a bubble player.. he literally could go either way at this point..

Rector- it is becoming more and more likely that he will make this team.. if we only keep 5 WRs, Rector very well could push Green out of that last spot, meaning it would be highly likely that he would also be the PR..

Crayton- the returning PR, but i dont think Parcells (or any of us for that matter) want to see him returning punts this year.. not just because he is more likely to get hurt, but because he was below average at PR..

Newman- the best PR of the bunch, and could probably be one of the best in the NFL.. could be very Deionish if we let him.. but he is much too valuable to the defense to use as a PR on a regular basis.. he will probably be used in certain situations..

at this point, if i had to bet.. ugh.. im gonna say that Green doesnt make it and Rector will be our #5 WR and our PR.. i might change my mind tomorrow and say that Green will be our #6 WR and our PR..

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
tomson75 said:
Thats a pretty good quality in a PR.

also for a WR since other than GLenn and TO, none of the other WR prospects offer quickness, and other than Green, but he's very raw as a WR

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
EMMITTnROY said:

Green- has to show something in this next game.. he is the very definition of a bubble player.. he literally could go either way at this point..

Rector- it is becoming more and more likely that he will make this team.. if we only keep 5 WRs, Rector very well could push Green out of that last spot, meaning it would be highly likely that he would also be the PR..

Crayton- the returning PR, but i dont think Parcells (or any of us for that matter) want to see him returning punts this year.. not just because he is more likely to get hurt, but because he was below average at PR..

Newman- the best PR of the bunch, and could probably be one of the best in the NFL.. could be very Deionish if we let him.. but he is much too valuable to the defense to use as a PR on a regular basis.. he will probably be used in certain situations..

at this point, if i had to bet.. ugh.. im gonna say that Green doesnt make it and Rector will be our #5 WR and our PR.. i might change my mind tomorrow and say that Green will be our #6 WR and our PR..

good analysis, I thought Green was a lock despite his deficiencies as a WR, but with Rector providing a PR outlet, as well as being a better WR, I'm not so sure anymore

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
EMMITTnROY said:

There is one more option. BP and company could bring in a veteran receiver not presently on the roster who could be a reserve WR and handle the PR duties. It's not an option I'm in love with because it probably means casting off one of these promising youngsters, but it is an option nonetheless.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Cowboy from New York said:
If we see Rector return punts against Minny then I think Green is done.

Actually, Rector returned the first punt of the night...for about seven yards.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Seams to me that Rector does not have the body type that Parcells talks about for punt returns. Hes kind of slim, not thick in the lower body like a Green. So I would think if he did return punts it would be in emergency situations, say if our regular guy got dinged up?

Jay

Reaction score
EmmittNRoy, you're forgetting Aaron Glenn. Parcells said that he'd trust Glenn to return punts and would put him back there if necessary.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
kiheikiwi said:
Seams to me that Rector does not have the body type that Parcells talks about for punt returns. Hes kind of slim, not thick in the lower body like a Green. So I would think if he did return punts it would be in emergency situations, say if our regular guy got dinged up?
I don't know he's not a whole lot different size wise than T-New plus Parcells did say he's pound for pound the strongest player on the team.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Natedawg44 said:
I don't know he's not a whole lot different size wise than T-New plus Parcells did say he's pound for pound the strongest player on the team.
Your right, but isnt that part of why Newman is not doing full time? Apart from the obvious reasons. I know he did it at college.
Whats the diference between punt returners and kickoff returners? More of a pounding?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
kiheikiwi said:
Your right, but isnt that part of why Newman is not doing full time?

it's because Newman is our #1 CB, they dont' want to risk wearing him down, and worse, an injury

kiheikiwi said:
Apart from the obvious reasons. I know he did it at college.
Whats the diference between punt returners and kickoff returners? More of a pounding?

kickoff returners have to be thicker, that's why alot of RBs play it, that's all I know

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
it's because Newman is our #1 CB, they dont' want to risk wearing him down, and worse, an injury

Thats what I meant by "apart from the Obvious".

kickoff returners have to be thicker, that's why alot of RBs play it, that's all I know
Yeah, I think your right here, I keep remebering Parcells Talking about bodytype for this, thick lower body to take the punishment. Who else besides Thompson has been returning kickoffs?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
kiheikiwi said:
Yeah, I think your right here, I keep remebering Parcells Talking about bodytype for this, thick lower body to take the punishment. Who else besides Thompson has been returning kickoffs?

Abram Elam