Commanders trade 5th rd pick to Panthers for QB Kyle Allen

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
To be honest, they are not completely sold on Haskins. Comments from Riveria and Doug Williams question his work ethic and maturity.

Not being sold on Haskins is the reason they traded for Allen. Rivera said a few weeks ago the Commanders wouldn’t be opposed to taking a QB with their first pick.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Currently Carolina is listening to trade offers for him so you can’t bank on him being released. After trading Allen Carolina may have to hang on to him.
Its Cam Newton though lol. You wait it out. If he gets traded to someone else....then he gets traded. Anyone want to take on his contract?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Not being sold on Haskins is the reason they traded for Allen. Rivera said a few weeks ago the Commanders wouldn’t be opposed to taking a QB with their first pick.
They must be sold on him if they traded for Allen. Allen isn't someone that's going to push him off the team. Allen is the typical signing you do to keep your franchise qb grounded but don't put pressure on him.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
man how many qbs they go through last year and now another backup..im surprised Carolina let him go..apparently rivera liked him and wanted him there just in case,..
We are going to be dealing with a much improved Commanders team under Rivera..

Watch this...

joseephuss

Reaction score

That is a definite possibility. Plus coaches tend to bring in guys they have some familiarity with to help with the transition(hoping MM doesn't bring in Hundley). He probably also has no faith in Alex Smith or Colt McCoy.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They must be sold on him if they traded for Allen. Allen isn't someone that's going to push him off the team. Allen is the typical signing you do to keep your franchise qb grounded but don't put pressure on him.

You don’t trade for a QB if you’re sold on the QB you have. If they were sold on Haskins, Rivera wouldn’t have made the comment that the Commanders wouldn’t be opposed to taking a QB with their second pick. Allen played very well at the start of last season winning 5 of his first 6 starts but faded the second have of the season. Rivera obviously likes him and thinks he could push Haskins.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Its Cam Newton though lol. You wait it out. If he gets traded to someone else....then he gets traded. Anyone want to take on his contract?

You can’t wait it out if you need a QB. If there’s an opportunity you have to pounce. Carolina may stay with him now that they’ve traded Allen. Don’t think anyone will trade for Cam with his injury history and his contract. Any team that would bring on Cam would need a good backup plan at QB.

Aven8

Reaction score
Allen actually played well for a spell last year. I was surprised as he sucked at UofH.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So no one on here freaking out as to why didn’t Jerry do this? :lmao:
oh wait, thread is still early in development. :muttley:
5th is a bit rich for a backup QB for me tbh, considering how durable Dak is.

I couls see Allen being the new Chase Daniels though. Good work if you can get it

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
Why trade for him though you can wait to get him when he’s cut or his contract is up. That being said, I don’t see Cam in the plans.
I watched a lot of Haskins last year and oh brother, he was flat out terrible. I mean looked like he shouldn't be in the league terrible.

I guess he could make a Jackson-type leap this year, but I just don't see it. Having said that, I don't see them making a Cam move either.

It's good for us because eventually the talent on that d-line will stay healthy and they now have a coach who actually knows defense.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I'm gonna have to give the skins Kudos for this move. Allen isn't getting the credit he deserves. He is getting better IMO and I think needs reps and the right parts around him to thrive. This was the perfect move. I just don't see Haskins panning out. Something about him screams to me he's more hype than anything else. Like a poor mans Byron Leftwich. Allen had a few games where he took command of that team and threw some amazing passes..fit them into some tight windows. In fact, I wanted Dallas to bring him in to back up Dak and compete. It would only make Dak better...with a decent QB pushing him in camp and practice. Competition breeds success. Cooper Rush aint that. We need a solid vet.