Redzone Struggles, penalties a big issue!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We all know our struggles in the red zone, we march the ball down only to stall to kick field goals. With that said, it seems that most of the time when we have those drives to the red zone, we get flagged for a penalty which ends up killing our momentum. Has anyone noticed this as well, drive drive drive, flag on the play, it pushes us back, and we end up settling for 3 instead of 6. When will the discipline come, when will the attention to detail and the want to score touchdowns be present for the Dallas Cowboys. Please give your thoughts on this......

I'm not a stats guy, i'm sure there's stats somewhere about our drives ending because of penalties

Mr_437

Reaction score
Coog, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I get frustrated when they get into the redzone and don't put Zeke in the game. The sole reason or selling point of having Zeke back, on the team, was his effectiveness in short yardage and goaline yet his use seems limited.

Tell me, I'm tripping for being a bit irritated by this. On topic, the refs are terrible, and this crap happens so much it feels like a mandate to penalize the offense and turn a blind eye when the Cowboys defense is getting mugged constantly.

rambo2

Reaction score
We all know our struggles in the red zone, we march the ball down only to stall to kick field goals. With that said, it seems that most of the time when we have those drives to the red zone, we get flagged for a penalty which ends up killing our momentum. Has anyone noticed this as well, drive drive drive, flag on the play, it pushes us back, and we end up settling for 3 instead of 6. When will the discipline come, when will the attention to detail and the want to score touchdowns be present for the Dallas Cowboys. Please give your thoughts on this......

I'm not a stats guy, i'm sure there's stats somewhere about our drives ending because of penalties
Some of the holding calls were bad calls.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Shooting ourselves in the foot with penalties is one of the reasons we struggle in the redzone. We turn a 2nd and 6 into a 2nd and 16 with a holding call. Penalties have killed a lot of drives in the redzone. Another problem is we can’t run the ball.

rambo2

Reaction score
Shooting ourselves in the foot with penalties is one of the reasons we struggle in the redzone. We turn a 2nd and 6 into a 2nd and 16 with a holding call. Penalties have killed a lot of drives in the redzone. Another problem is we can’t run the ball.
How many times were they in the redzone against the Giants? I thought it was once and Rico scored on a 20 yard td standing up.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Coog, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I get frustrated when they get into the redzone and don't put Zeke in the game. The sole reason or selling point of having Zeke back, on the team, was his effectiveness in short yardage and goaline yet his use seems limited.

Tell me, I'm tripping for being a bit irritated by this. On topic, the refs are terrible, and this crap happens so much it feels like a mandate to penalize the offense and turn a blind eye when the Cowboys defense is getting mugged constantly.

Hear ya man but we have to actually make it down that far to get him in, I mean we try but somehow some way a flag flies out

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Exactly 2 and 16 then it's like all down hill from there

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
How many times were they in the redzone against the Giants? I thought it was once and Rico scored on a 20 yard td standing up.
Once and we were 1-1. I’m not talking about the Giants game, Everything went well in that game, even our run defense.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Once and we were 1-1. I’m not talking about the Giants game, Everything went well in that game, even our run defense.
fans see one half decent game and think there's reason to be proud of that or something, this is a struggle with this team, it's like clock work, get it down there, FLAG oh damn you know it's on Dallas 90+ percent of the time it's on us

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

I have now said this in multiple posts and multiple comments. we are going to struggle in the redzone all year. Aubrey is going to be the highest scorer on this team. why? simple, we can't run. you get inside the redzone, the threat of a running game has to be there. redzone, is tight space. not much room and when you can't run, teams drop 6,7 into coverage and LBs play off the line. with our OL and RB struggles, if we actually try to run, LBs are there to stop it given how long it takes for our run game to develop and RBs to get to LOS. and thus with 6 or 7 in coverage, passing lanes are far and few in between in a tight area like that, so the passing game, even if you are really good, then complete what? about 50% of passes in that area, we will not be able to easily punch it in and end up with field goals. as this happens, it will snow ball, because our defense is the exact opposite, teams will score TDs so after several drives of trading TDs for FGs, our offense becomes one dimentional and then it gets worse.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You can thank McCarthy. You know, the one who should be fired. Epic fail.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Hey coogs it's more like when were we good in the red zone and when were penalties not a problem it seems like it's been that way forever.
It's pretty much our mantra we go over it year after year after year all the way back to when Romo was quarterback.

I'm going to say when Zeke and Dak we're rookies and we had a dominant offensive line we could score in the red zone and weren't penalized as much.

Other than that we seem like we've been the poster child team for pre-snap penalties and stalling in the red zone.

It doesn't matter who the coach is we are always a soft team that's not physical enough in the red zone and for some reason constantly jumping off sides,holding or committing some type of nonsensical penalty that keeps us playing from behind the chains

shabazz

Reaction score

Coogs, nothing has changed since last year.

We were ranked 12th in red zone efficiency last season and we are currently ranked 13th this season

It's not just the refs. It's the PLAYERS and COACHES and they alone bear the responsibility for this ranking......they the ones leaving that meat on the bone

shabazz

Reaction score
You can thank McCarthy. You know, the one who should be fired. Epic fail.
There used to be a day that when a player made a mental mistake they were taken out the game for a few plays to think about it......now they can commit multiple infractions and stay right the hell in