Refs upset by NBA response to Van Gundy

jacs

I'd Hit It
Reaction score
By RALPH D. RUSSO, AP Sports Writer

NEW YORK (AP) -- Whether Jeff Van Gundy is retained as Houston's coach is up to the Rockets, but the league needs to do a better job of defending its game officials from criticism by coaches, the spokesman for the National Basketball Referees Association said Tuesday.

Lamell McMorris, the lead negotiator for the NBRA, said the NBA's response to Van Gundy's comments about league officials targeting Rockets center Yao Ming was unacceptable. However, McMorris did not call for Van Gundy's job, as he did in a statement Monday night.

``Van Gundy is really not the issue here, per se,'' McMorris said Tuesday in a phone interview with The Associated Press. ``Van Gundy and whether or not he'll be retained is up to the Houston Rockets.

``The real issue is the culture that I feel has been created where referees are the easy scapegoat. Where it is easy to allege, easy to accuse and easy to attack the referees. Even easy and acceptable to question the integrity of the referees publicly.''

The league fined Van Gundy $100,000 -- the largest assessed against a coach -- after the coach said that an official who was not working the playoffs told him that Yao was being targeted following complaints by Mark Cuban, the owner of the Dallas Mavericks, Houston's first-round opponent.

On Monday, Van Gundy clarified his comments, saying when he referred to an NBA official, he was not talking about a game official and was intentionally vague when people inferred he meant a referee.

The NBA said it was satisfied with Van Gundy's explanation and he would not be disciplined further. McMorris then put out a statement saying, ``The matter will truly be closed only when Van Gundy is fired.''

On Tuesday, McMorris shifted his focus from Van Gundy to the league.

``One thing we should observe or note is that at no time during the last week did the NBA or Van Gundy come to the defense of the refs,'' McMorris said.

Commissioner David Stern had said the league would investigate Van Gundy's remarks and he threatened more punishment -- perhaps even banishment -- if Van Gundy did not cooperate.

Speaking Tuesday in Miami, where he watched the Heat-Wizards playoff game, Stern said he considers the issue to be over.

``I was most concerned about the carriage for an entire week of the fact that Jeff had gotten a phone call from a referee,'' Stern said. ``That's what the media said. That's what he didn't take any pains to correct. ... I wanted to give him the opportunity to retract that, because we knew it to be false.''

Stern also had harsh words for McMorris, saying he was ``a little bit over his head in dealing with these difficult issues.''

``If the head of the referees' association was smart, he'd stop issuing press releases,'' Stern said.

Rockets GM Carroll Dawson declined to comment on McMorris' remarks.

``That's behind us. This has gone on too long. We're moving on,'' Dawson told the AP Tuesday.

McMorris said that even though the NBA punished Van Gundy, it did not do enough to defend its refs.

``By his implication that a member of the staff was the source, people implied that it was a fact,'' McMorris said. ``No one publicly challenged that implication. That's not a defense of the referees. That falls quite short.''

McMorris also said that Stern's calls for an investigation amounted to a ``witch hunt.''

``Had they identified whomever this referee was, supposedly, the punishment would have been much stiffer (than Van Gundy's),'' McMorris said. ``There would have been serious repercussions.''

McMorris said the NBRA had no plans to meet with the NBA, Van Gundy or the Rockets to discuss their concerns.

Van Gundy's brother, Miami coach Stan Van Gundy, said the situation is weighing heavily on the family.

``I'm just disturbed by the whole thing,'' Stan Van Gundy said before his team played Washington on Tuesday. ``I really feel bad for him, obviously. It's just been a real tough time. You lose in a series and that's all going on. ... I'm having a difficult time with it. And I feel very, very, very badly for him.''

Emotionally, Stan Van Gundy said his brother is getting along relatively well.

``He always holds up, but it's not an easy time right now,'' the Heat coach said.

Link

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just to counter that, there's one who thinks the Ref union should let it go...
Personally, I do too.
-----------

Anonymous ref: Van's OK, Stern 'overreacted'

BY FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

304-vangundy_110.JPG

[size=-1]Jeff Van Gundy [/size]

While the spokesman for the NBA referees union is calling for Jeff Van Gundy to be fired, one of Lemell McMorris' rank-and-file members is whistling him for a flagrant foul.

"I wish Lemell would be smart enough to say, 'This door is closed,' and let's move forward just like the league said," said one veteran referee, who requested anonymity. "What Jeff said is not out of line, as far as I'm concerned."

On Monday, the NBRA's McMorris told Bloomberg News that some of his members were "furious" that the NBA closed its investigation of Van Gundy and that the Houston Rockets coach would not face further disciplinary action. He later issued a statement calling for Van Gundy to be fired.

"If the head of the referees' association were smart, he would stop issuing press releases," said NBA commissioner David Stern regarding McMorris' calling for Van Gundy's firing before last night's Miami-Washington playoff game.

The referee who spoke to the Daily News said that of the referees he's talked to, none is upset by comments Van Gundy made last week that earned him a record $100,000 fine. In fact, the referee felt that David Stern "over-reacted" and that fine was "excessive."

The controversy began with Van Gundy claiming that a league official informed him that Yao Ming would be watched closely by the referees following complaints made by Mavs owner Mark Cuban regarding Yao setting illegal screens.

Van Gundy never said that it was a referee who called him even though several media accounts assumed that he meant referee. The league, which threatened Van Gundy with a suspension and even a lifetime ban, was satisfied that it wasn't a referee who contacted Van Gundy. Based on that information, the league wrapped up its investigation while leaving open the possibility that a league official did in fact notify Van Gundy that Yao would be targeted.

McMorris has had his own troubles with the league in recent months. Last season, he ordered the referees to wear their shirts inside out to protest Michael Henderson being suspended for blowing a 24-second violation in the final minute of a regular-season game.

The referee called McMorris "a radical" who is good for the referees because he's going to fight the league. But the referee also feels that McMorris is picking the wrong fight since Van Gundy has supported the refs in the past. In fact, following Game 5 of the Rockets-Mavs series, Van Gundy refused to criticize Bennett Salvatore after the official missed a call in the closing seconds with the Rockets trailing by two.

Originally published on May 11, 2005

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/308404p-263877c.html