Remaining camp battles

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Andre Gurode vs. Al Johnson:

What the coaches want to see happen, Al wins the job and Andre is primary backup at C and possibly both guard positions, may not be how it plays out. But I'm not counting Al out yet.

Keith Davis vs. Pat Watkins:

I think the coaches have their fingers crossed Watkins is as good as he looks. It's still very early, but this guy sounds like the basketball equivalent of getting a steal and thinking you've got a dunk only to look up and find Ben Wallace waiting to block your shot. He was my top choice other than Huff at safety and I had him as a 3rd round target for Dallas. The fact that he slipped because he's a physical freak that the league didn't know what to make of could end being to our major benefit. I felt in April that Pat's success or failure was the key to our draft being average to well above average and I still feel that way.

Rob Petitti vs. Marc Columbo:

Ok for starters I admit to being wrong about Fabini. Right now he's a major longshot to make the team and I had him penciled in to start. Rob has a leg up right now on Columbo but this race could go down to the wire.

Terrance Copper vs. Sam Hurd, Jamaica Rector, Miles Austin:

This is a battle for the 5th WR slot. Copper is going to have to show he's got a future as a WR not just as a ST's ace to make this team.

Al Singleton vs. Bobby Carpenter:

Right now Carp isn't even getting reps at SOLB. This puzzles me a bit because even though he's very experienced at SOLB in college, he needs reps at the position in the pro's if he's going to start. But that battle may yet take shape as we go along.

Bubble guys:

Stephen Peterman, Justin Beriault, Oliver Hoyte, Junior Glymph, Lousaka Polite, Sean Ryan, Kenyon Coleman

AbeBeta

Reaction score
i don't think you can count on Gurode at all at center. he'll do better than Al on the 1-1 stuff. But playing as a unit, Al is much better.

I've been hoping for Peterman to show something but he sounds like he's done here. Beriault -- you know, that knee is already not responding well. IR for another year is his best hope.

Ryan makes the team. We have to keep 4 TEs, maybe even 5. With Pierce done, Ryan doesn't have much competition. But that could be one of those positions where we find someone after the final cuts.

As for the others, I'm gonna say Davis beats out Watkins but Watkins takes over by week 6. Petitti wins the RT job cleanly. Singleton/Carpenter are in the same boat as Davis/Watkins. And 5th WR. My bet is we don't carry a 5th but two of those guys make it to the PS.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Johnson has not looked good at much of anything so far. That extra weight might just be causing a lot more trouble then it solved.

wileedog

Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
Andre Gurode vs. Al Johnson:
I think Gurode has gotten most of the snaps because he's better against our 3-4 and Parcells want to get the offense going.

I don't think this battle has really even started yet, but keep in mind we play no 3-4 teams in the regular season.

Keith Davis vs. Pat Watkins:

I think Watkins will get every benefit of the doubt because Parcells never really wanted to start Keith at FS in the first place - remember the debate last camp was did he want to lose KD's effectiveness with STeams.

That said, I'll be shocked if a rookie is our opening day FS. If Watkins continues what he's doing though, I won't be shocked at all if he's our starting FS by November.

Rob Petitti vs. Marc Columbo:

Fabini didn't get starters money. I don't think the plan was ever that he comes in and gets the RT position by default. I'm very encouraged by Columbo and think this is a key battle this year.

I do think people are writing Fabini off as solid depth too soon however. Whatever he looks like in camp, he's still gotta be better than Tucker was.

Terrance Copper vs. Sam Hurd, Jamaica Rector, Miles Austin:

Too close to call right now.

Al Singleton vs. Bobby Carpenter:

Al will start. Bobby will be worked in.

Bubble guys:

Stephen Peterman, Justin Beriault, Oliver Hoyte, Junior Glymph, Lousaka Polite, Sean Ryan, Kenyon Coleman
I think Ryan, Polite and one of Glymph or Hoyte make it. Peterman's a goner IMO.

tunahelper

Reaction score
Even in the 4-3 defense you have a NT and an under tackle.
So Al Johnson will still have to play man up on the NT.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
The way BP has been prasing Lousaka Polite, I don't believe he is a bubble guy as a matter of fact he might be our short yardage and goal line back.

It may be more between Ellis and Singleton, seems Bobby is playing some ILB, which granted may be temporary.

wileedog

Reaction score
boysfanindc said:
It may be more between Ellis and Singleton, seems Bobby is playing some ILB, which granted may be temporary.

Ellis won't be the starting OLB, he will be a nickel pass rusher. They are just trying to get him as much work as they can there.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
wileedog said:
Ellis won't be the starting OLB, he will be a nickel pass rusher. They are just trying to get him as much work as they can there.

I guess that's my point between Singleton & Ellis, depending on Defensive set, does not appear to be a lot of reps for Booby at this point.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Any way you go over the final roster there will be a few guys cut at the end that will raise some eyebrows this year. It can't be helped. Camp injuries can change the equation a lot of course.

CooterBrown

Reaction score
Because there is little chance the 5th WR plays WR during the season, the last WR spot will go to the best specials team player. Based on last year, Copper has a clear advantage. The others are fighting an uphill battle and one of them will have to show some "greatness" potential to unseat Copper.

I would also add, that I'm not sure Green has a lock on the 4th WR spot. I haven't seen him play, but if he doesn't excell in preseason games, I don't think him being drafted will protect him if one of the rookie FAs plays better.

packpitts

Reaction score
Could it be?

Ware, Carpenter, James, Burnett?

Wouldn't think that, but Burnetts doing well in camp and Carpenter is playing WILB on the 2nd team, alot!

DLCassidy

Reaction score
CooterBrown said:
Because there is little chance the 5th WR plays WR during the season, the last WR spot will go to the best specials team player.

I have to disagree. Our starting WR's are both in their 30's. The idea one of them could be injured at some point is fairly high. Green is going to return punts and kicks but he's raw as a WR so the 5th guy could in effect be the 3rd guy in the event of an injury. And the 3rd guy needs to be able to produce as a pass catcher. Also adding Boiman and Watkins takes the pressure off the need for a ST's ace like Copper. It helps him sure but that in itself won't be enough to secure a spot if one of the others shows more as a WR.

Hiero

Reaction score
I think Glymph is gonna make it over hoyte. I got him to sign my tshirt after camp.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
I think Rector is going to be the 5th receiver and Hurd will be one of the last cuts and signed to the practice squad.

Reaction score
tunahelper said:
Even in the 4-3 defense you have a NT and an under tackle.
So Al Johnson will still have to play man up on the NT.

in the 4-3, they do not always have a DT lined up in the gap between the guard and center... they shade in different places...