Monmouth TE Nalbone hopes to catch on in NFL
By Stephen Edelson • STAFF WRITER • March 24, 2009

Post a CommentRecommend Print this page E-mail this article Share Del.icio.us
Facebook
Digg
Reddit
Newsvine
Buzz up!Twitter

It's a drama that has played out on the West Long Branch campus before.

A receiver with good size, great hands and a proven record of production tries to overcome the many obstacles that lie between the playing fields of the Northeast Conference and the National Football League.

Three years ago it was Miles Austin seeking to get his foot in the door of professional football after re-writing the receiving record book at Monmouth University. And now it's tight end John Nalbone seeking to slip through the door Austin eventually kicked open.

"I think that (Nalbone) has all of the measurables NFL teams are looking for in terms of height, weight, speed, movement and athleticism," said Monmouth coach Kevin Callahan. "They look at him as a guy with a tremendous amount of upside. You look back three years ago with Miles Austin, that's what they saw. A big, physical receiver with great hands, who they thought still had room for development, so they're similar in that regard."

Austin is entering his fourth season with the Dallas Cowboys, having caught three TD passes last season. He made the team as an undrafted free agent in 2006.

While NFL scouts have been picking Nalbone's game film apart, they'll have several opportunities to work him out in person, beginning today when he attends Hofstra University's Pro Day. Monmouth will have scouts in to look at him on Thursday.

At 6-5, 260, Nalbone has been clocked at 4.57-seconds in the 40 yard dash, which makes him very intriguing. He finished with 42 receptions and five TDs as a senior for an offense built around running back David Sinisi. Nalbone finished his career with 100 receptions for 1,273 yards.

"Like a lot of kids, I guess you could say I've wanted to play in the NFL ever since I was young. I just loved playing football," Nalbone said. "But I don't know how realistic that was until I realized I had the size and the ability to make it possible. Coming out of high school I didn't have a lot of big schools interested in me. And while I was frustrated, I had the desire and ended up at a smaller school, and Monmouth was great for me."

Nalbone has been training to improve his speed, strength and agility, with an eye on this opportunity, at the Test Sports Performance in Martinsville since early January.

"We feel very good about where he's at right now," said Brian Martin, the CEO of Test who has been working with Nalbone and other draft-eligible prospects. "He's exceptionally fast for a big guy. At 255, he has run sub-4.6 in the 40-yard dash. He's been doing a lot of work with Billy Ard on his blocking technique.

"He's been compared to an Anthony Fasano-type player. I hear the Dolphins have some interest in him. Bill Parcells loves those Jersey guys, and John is a true Jersey guy. He's got that personality and swagger. He's a very confident kid who believes in his ability."

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2701881 said:
"He's been compared to an Anthony Fasano-type player. I hear the Dolphins have some interest in him. Bill Parcells loves those Jersey guys, and John is a true Jersey guy. He's got that personality and swagger. He's a very confident kid who believes in his ability."

Of course Parcells is interested, Nalbone is a TE, from Jersey, and is Italian (or has an Italian sounding name at least).

Did his father coach? That would be the topping on the cake. In any case, he would be an intriguing UDFA, no more than that.