Reminder HBO's ROME on tonight

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
I tivo'd it and I'll have to watch it again before I can say if I liked it or not.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister said:
I tivo'd it and I'll have to watch it again before I can say if I liked it or not.

Not going to give you too much info here.

Just that there are some crazy scenes in it but really just to expect to see a slow episode for the first one IMO.

Think they are just getting some background set up and characters noted before moving into the meat of the story.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Seems like it will be an okay show.

It appears to lack the hook of Six Feet Under and the pazazz of Deadwood, though.

But it is being true to the time period so it will have a lot of sex and violence to make it popular.:D

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
blindzebra said:

It appears to lack the hook of Six Feet Under and the pazazz of Deadwood, though.

But it is being true to the time period so it will have a lot of sex and violence to make it popular.:D

Yes that first episode did not have that feel of deadwood like you said...but I am hopeful that it is just trying to establish the characters and background before getting a little faster in tempo.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
blindzebra said:

I never could get into Six Feet Under. I prefer my soap operas with some mafiaso or gunslingers. :cool:

I freaking love Rome!! It's everything I imagined. I can't wait until some of the big historical events in Rome start to happen. I have a feeling they're going to pull a Deadwood and kill Julius Caesar in season one just like Wild Bill Hickok was killed in his first season on Deadwood.

Titus Pollo and Atia are probably my favorite characters so far. The actress who plays Atia is going to be nominated for something. She plays a great you-know-what. There's a website I read that I usually agree with and they thought the show was boring too, but still well done. I think you have to appreciate ancient history, especially the Roman Empire, to really get into the show. My advice is to watch the featurettes on HBO explaining Roman society, because many of the characters will make more sense, and also to rewatch the first episode because it's hard to keep track of everyone if you're not familiar with some of the people, ranks and places in Roman history.

Did you fellas watch episode two and catch some emergency Roman brain surgery? :eek:

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
I never could get into Six Feet Under. I prefer my soap operas with some mafiaso or gunslingers. :cool:

I freaking love Rome!! It's everything I imagined. I can't wait until some of the big historical events in Rome start to happen. I have a feeling they're going to pull a Deadwood and kill Julius Caesar in season one just like Wild Bill Hickok was killed in his first season on Deadwood.

Titus Pollo and Atia are probably my favorite characters so far. The actress who plays Atia is going to be nominated for something. She plays a great you-know-what. There's a website I read that I usually agree with and they thought the show was boring too, but still well done. I think you have to appreciate ancient history, especially the Roman Empire, to really get into the show. My advice is to watch the featurettes on HBO explaining Roman society, because many of the characters will make more sense, and also to rewatch the first episode because it's hard to keep track of everyone if you're not familiar with some of the people, ranks and places in Roman history.

Did you fellas watch episode two and catch some emergency Roman brain surgery? :eek:

Pullo is a bad arse. It will be interesting to see how they pull off Vorenus' wife, who is a hottie btw, will pull off the story of the baby being his grandson when it's actually not.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I really have enjoyed it so far.

I love historical stuff and read alot of Cicero so it was interesting to say the least.

It was a bit slow but as is usually the case, HBO did an outstanding job with casting.
I can't wait to see where they take the show as the season wears on.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Pullo is a bad arse. It will be interesting to see how they pull off Vorenus' wife, who is a hottie btw, will pull off the story of the baby being his grandson when it's actually not.

At first I was afraid they had ripped the Pullo character from Russell Crowe's Maximus character in Gladiator, but he really is a separate identity. He is one tough mofo.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TruBlueCowboy said:

When I saw that I thought of the scene in Master and Commander. :)

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
I was out of town on a business trip this weekend and caught several episodes of Rome in the hotel. This show is great.

Now I have to get HBO.