Report: Barry Bonds Done After '06

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After sitting out most of 2005, Barry Bonds is calling this season his last. The Giants slugger told USA Today that he will retire with or without the all-time home run record. "I'm not playing baseball anymore after this," he said.

www.espn.com current stop story on their front page.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
ESPN has a poll right now asking readers if they want Barry Bonds to beat Hank Aaron's record, and it's something along the lines of 80% who don't want him to beat the record. :eek: I don't think I've ever seen a Hall of Famer more unpopular than Bonds. What a joke baseball has become.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
ESPN has a poll right now asking readers if they want Barry Bonds to beat Hank Aaron's record, and it's something along the lines of 80% who don't want him to beat the record. :eek: I don't think I've ever seen a Hall of Famer more unpopular than Bonds. What a joke baseball has become.
I need to go vote. It isn't that I don't want to see Hank's record fall. I don't want him to get it.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
You want to know the saddest part of all of this for me?

As a kid I loved the Say Hey Kid, Willy Mays. Mays is Barry's godfather and his late father's best friend. I also liked his father Bobby. Hard not to like a guy who plays tough hard nosed baseball like Bobby. The first 30-30 guy if I am not mistaken. (Could be, not a baseball trivia expert by any wild stretch.)

If ever there was a player I wanted to root for it was Barry Bonds. There is no denying his talent. One of the best pure Left Fielders I've ever seen if not the purest.

I met him at Spring Training here several years ago (when he first joined the Giants) and he is just an absolute boor. He's rude, arrogant, and moody. It isn't just a persona on ESPN. It's real. I have a friend who is a valet parking attendant at a local club where all the ball players go. He says Barry regularly stiffs them for tips. FYI, he says the best tipper is Frank Thomas.

I have a friend who is a DJ and he asked Barry to sign a baseball the year he hit 73 to give away for a promotion. You'd have thought he asked for the world. Joe still has that ball but he's keeping it in case it has any monetary value. It holds no sentimental value to him at all.

Sad that someone that blessed with a gift could be so myopic to how much good he could do in a world that would like to love him.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Bonds may be a first class *** right now, but I will say that he was a pretty decent guy in private early in his career with Pittsburgh.

If you look at superstars whose fathers were also in the game, you notice a common thread that their reputations and dealings with the fans and media really take a nosedive as their careers go on. Griffey Jr. had a great rep early in Seattle and now its trash in Cincinatti.

My personal theory on this is they saw what their fathers and others could do growing up and what they can't do now. Mays is on most people's 10 best of all-time lists yet Bonds watched him walk down the street, go out to eat, stop at a store..... without every person is sight hounding him. I hate to sound old, but people had more respect years ago. Bonds can't take his kids for a walk in the park without security. That has to wear on a man.