Report: Lions call 49ers about Roy Williams

JBS

Reaction score
According to the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, the Lions contacted the 49ers to gauge interest in Roy Williams.
San Francisco reportedly turned them down, but this shows that the Lions are actively pursuing a trade and may ultimately back down from their asking price of a first-round pick. The NFL trading period ends at 4PM Tuesday. Oct. 13 - 4:28 pm et

http://rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=126937

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
you have to watch rotoworld, they are notorious for putting stuff up not true, they just try to make headlines and guess at stuff so you have to be careful,

Don Corleone

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2335030 said:
49er's not interested that's surprising Martz must not like him then.

Who said that other teams actually want the guy? Besides, who made Mike Martz the GM in San Francisco?

JBS

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2335033 said:
you have to watch rotoworld, they are notorious for putting stuff up not true, they just try to make headlines and guess at stuff so you have to be careful,

interesting that you feel this way. From everything I have seen - rotoworld seems to be 100% accurate.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
If Jerry really wants, him he will get him.

Honestly, with Owens, Witten, and Roy Williams, if Brad Johnson cannot score points, he needs to quit today.

I think I could lead us to a TD with those three and Barber running routes.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Don Corleone;2335040 said:
Who said that other teams actually want the guy? Besides, who made Mike Martz the GM in San Francisco?

He is their offensive coodinator right? He was the in Detriot last year with the lions right? He brought JT O Sullivan over right? Roy Williams has experience in his system right? Why would they not want him ???:confused:

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
glorydays trust me, i once was sending some stuff and posting on here what rotorworld was saying and i got burned bythem several times,

i learned to wait and see if some other credible site posts the same thing, you can ask hostile about rotoworld he will tell you the same thing

Don Corleone

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2335054 said:
He is their offensive coodinator right? He was the in Detriot last year with the lions right? He brought JT O Sullivan over right? Roy Williams has experience in his system right? Why would they not want him ???:confused:

The price? Martz can gush all he wants (if that is the case), but he isn't the GM. I'm sure he has input to the coaching staff and GM, but it doesn't mean that the GM will grant his every wish.

Football is a business at the end of the day.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Don Corleone;2335062 said:
The price? Martz can gush all he wants (if that is the case), but he isn't the GM. I'm sure he has input to the coaching staff and GM, but it doesn't mean that the GM will grant his every wish.

Football is a business at the end of the day.

So you're saying the 49er's don't have the cap room or that the don't want to give up to many draft picks?

R8erFan4Ever

Reaction score
It might not be the fact that they don't like him but the fact that the price is too high and like they said, ultimately lions will ask for less.

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score
Maybe SF knows that Roy will walk at the end of the season and feels it's not worth to give up a 1st round pick for 10 games!

Don Corleone

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2335067 said:
So you're saying the 49er's don't have the cap room or that the don't want to give up to many draft picks?

I could be wrong, but I believe the 49ers have the cap room. I don't know if it is true now, but several years ago, they had the lowest payroll in the NFL. It is probably the draft picks.

The asking price is probably too high, though I saw a post from Hostile where it said that the price may have dropped to a 2nd rounder now.

Q_the_man

Reaction score

First of all, what were the Lions asking for....maybe Frisco wanted him but not at that price.....

Also if u trade anything for RW, first thing u want b4 u trade for him especially a high pick, u will need to have RW sign a contract extension, if theirs no contract extension theirs no trade..

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Couldn't we make a conditional trade. Something like..

at least a 3rd round pick that can turn into a

2nd round pick if we make the playoffs that can turn into a

1st round pick if we re-sign him.

If so, how many would be on board to acquire Roy Williams under that kind of scenario??

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Don Corleone;2335080 said:
I could be wrong, but I believe the 49ers have the cap room. I don't know if it is true now, but several years ago, they had the lowest payroll in the NFL. It is probably the draft picks.

The asking price is probably too high, though I saw a post from Hostile where it said that the price may have dropped to a 2nd rounder now.

If he's going for a 2nd and we don't make the trade then I will be disappointed even more in Jerry.

Q_the_man;2335102 said:
First of all, what were the Lions asking for....maybe Frisco wanted him but not at that price.....

Also if u trade anything for RW, first thing u want b4 u trade for him especially a high pick, u will need to have RW sign a contract extension, if theirs no contract extension theirs no trade..

That's true Lions has asked for a lot of stuff when we talked to them. I'm just saying that Martz would likely want to bring him in it doesn't make sense for them not unless they want FRank Gore and a 3rd round pick in return.....

Primetime0201

Benched
Reaction score
He said Roy made little to no attempt to pick up his offense and that he would not deal with him again... Thats what Lions fans say anyway...