Rewatched all 3 games, notes on just about everyone.

couchscout

Reaction score
Ok guys, I was so excited last night I sat down and rewatched all 3 games, and took lots of notes. Here is what I have seen.

QB- T. Romo - Seriously, I have nothing to say here, his success so far this season is covered everywhere, he is amazing, and we have our QB now.

RB J. Jones - I have been down on JJ pretty much since his sophomore season, but he hasnt played terrible this season. The team really is trying to get him the ball in space a little more, and for the most part its working. Hes not a feature back, and he still goes down too easily, but hes a vital part of what we do.

M. Barber - This guy is a spark. The offense feeds off him, he looks for someone to hit every play. I dont think Ive ever seen any other RB like him. I'm just glad hes on our team.

Sidenote: The RB situation has both draft and salary cap implications. With both of these guys playing well, they are going to want front line starter money, and Im sure thier agents are going to tell them they can get it somewhere. So keeping both of them might be hard to do, but it would keep us from having to spend an early first on a RB, and allow us to select a player of more need, like a CB, DT, or LT.

FB D. Anderson and O. Hoyte - These guys are both getting it done pretty well when they are in the game. Hoyte is still pretty raw, and sometimes makes the wrong reads, but he typically destroys whoever he decides to block.

WR T. Owens - Its very hard to judge WRs without the ALL-22 camera tape, but Owens is getting it done. He seems to be open all the time, is catching the ball when its thrown to him. And is somehow managing to be a great teammate at the same time.

P. Crayton - The only knock on Crayton so far is the dropped passes in the Bears game, but he didnt drop passes before the broken finger so he gets a partial pass. However, I played WR in a pass happy offense from middle school all the way up, and I played with messed up fingers quite a bit. It is quite a bit harder to catch a football with a broken finger, but with solid concentration it can be done consistently. Crayton needs to focus a little better and realize his finger is hurt, he needs to adjust the way he catches the ball.

TE Jason Witten - Hes blocking well, catching everything thrown at him and completely dominating the middle of the field. Top 3 TE in this league right now.

C Andre Gurode - Is it possible that hes the best C in the NFL right now? If hes not, Id like to know who is, and I can tell you already Im scared of him. Gurode is an absolute beast. Hes playing extremely well.

RG Bigg Davis - Is it possible that we actually underpaid for this guy? This guy jumps off the screen seemingly every play, he gets to the second level very very well. He blows people off the ball, and completely caves in the whole DL on occasion.

RT Marc Columbo - Is it possible that with Gurode and Davis on this line that Columbo is our best OL? Columbo doesnt quite dominate like Gurode or Davis, but it seems he never misses an assignment. He gets his block on every play.

LG Kyle Kozier - Is it possible that with an OL with all these monstrous men, this little guy still manages to stand out? Kozier may not be the biggest (in fact he might be the smallest) OG in the league, but hes a sound technician, makes his blocks on every play. Like Davis, he can get the second level as well as anyone, and his moving targets very well.

LT Flozell Adams - Is it possible that Flozell is our worst OL? Its amazing how much our entire line has improved so much that this man is now the worst one we got. Oh, and by the way, Ill take Flozell as my worst OL any day of the week. Flozell is playing pretty well, he still struggles with certain pass rushers from time to time. And his penalty problems are well documented. But hes so atheletic, and gets to the second level very well still. Flozell needs to become more of a technician, and focus a little more.

Overall: We all know it, this offense is scary. There are so many weapons, teams have to pick thier poison and I love it. I dont know how much longer Flozell has to play, but I know I would not complain one bit if the boys used the Browns 1st next year to select a guy like Sam Baker from USC.

DE Chris Canty - Despite all the talk to the contrary, Canty is playing pretty well. I noticed a definitive and very tangible difference in his game from the NY game, to last nights game. Hes starting to understand what Wade and Stewart want from him, and how this D is different from Parcells. I see Canty making a huge leap forward this year and solidifying his spot on this D.

Marcus Spears - Hes very stout against the run, a major cog in our run defense. He just doesnt get it on the pass rush. He has all the tools, but it seems like he wants to play it like Parcells wanted him to, standing up the OL every play and chopping his feet while watching the QB throw. He needs to start hitting his gap, driving his feet, and using his hands better. I dont think Spears is long for Dallas, but maybe he can turn it around.

DT Jay Ratliff - This guy just amazes me. I thought we were in big big trouble when we lost Fergie, boy was I wrong. Ratliff can handle the DT spot and actually be a game changer. I knew this guy was a spark plug for the last couple seasons, and had several big plays and sacks. I just didnt think he could do it on an every down basis. I love me some Ratliff.

OLB D. Ware - I have come to a conclusion about Ware finally. Either A.) Our coaching staff is too stupid to teach Ware some type of inside move. B.) Ware is too stupid to use the inside moves he has been taught by the coaching staff, or C.) God himself will not allow him to use the moves for fear of Ware hurting people and dominating the league. If Demarcus would use some kind of inside move, he would be completely dominant. I saw him use an inside spin move once this season, and it worked quite well, but he was held with no flag (big surprise there).

A. Spencer - Spencer is gonna be a factor on this team and in this league in due time. Hes playing extremely well for a rookie. Hes stopping the run consistently, and getting to the QB occasionally. I really think this guy is gonna be huge as the season wears on. He uses his hands better than anyone on the team, which is amazing for a rookie. I love this pick.

ILB A. Ayodele and B. James - Im not gonna lie, I dont really know the assignments of inside linebackers in the 3-4, so its hard for me to say whos doing thier job well or not. However, what I do know, is that it seems neither of these guys are messing up, getting beat or losing thier one on one battles. Our run D has been stout, so they obviously has been doing thier jobs.

CB A. Henry - Henry has taken alot of flack this season, 99% of it has been completely undeserved. Its very obvious that our coaching staff had both corners playing very soft for fear of giving up the big play. Once they finally stopped doing that last night, both Reeves and Henry started making plays. Henry isnt the best corner in the league, hes probably not even top 20, but hes a solid corner who wins his one on one matchups consistently.

J. Reeves - Basically, the same as Henry, took way too much flack for doing what he was asked to do within the defensive scheme. But, as the season has gone on, he has gotten better and better and better. I think he will be a solid 3rd corner by seasons end.

FS Ken Hamlin - Hamlin has been solid. There is nothing great about what he does, but he hasnt been getting abused and that is a welcome change.

SS R. Williams - Roy can amaze you one play and make you mad enough to throw things the next. I think alot of people (RW fanboys) dont understand what really irks the RW haters. Its not that he isnt a good player, he is. Its that hes not a consistent player. Im not talking about him getting beat sometimes, all DBs are gonna get beat. Im talking about missed tackles, failure to weap up, and flat out blown assignments. For a player thats supposed to be of RW elite status, he shouldnt be making those types of mistakes as often as he does. Either way, Im glad hes a Cowboy, and I definately see a little of rookie RW coming back, so maybe thats a good thing.

Overall: If you go back and watch the tapes of all three games, you can see the defense morphing. Little by little, they are getting away from that watch and see defense of Parcells and attacking more like Wade wants. This D has the potential to be scary, and when combined with the offense, well, we need a new word to describe this team.

K & P - Ummmmm, these guys are awesome, that is all.

Jaxonsdaddd

Reaction score
Very good post here...I pretty much agree with your assessment of things three games in.

The only thing that worries or troubles me about the team is the secondary. But when teams are pressing and have fallen behind, we get opportunistic and start getting turnovers in bunches

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:welcome: and thanks for your insight. When I look at The Barbarian I feel the same thing - I'm glad he's on our team!

FCBarca

Reaction score
Anyone got a clue what the average 3rd down yardage is for Romo & Co.?...Seems like it's gotta be close to 8 yards...3rd and long will eventually come back to haunt them if they keep getting into those situations.

sago1

Reaction score
You've spent your time wisely rewatching all 3 games. I do think our defense has improved and they certainly getting more takeaways. I think most of us thought our defense would immediatley understand what Wade wanted done and do it cause they spent all that time during the summer working on it. But I guess after spending 3 years in Parcells 34 2 gap defense, it will take them time to shake it off and automatically play the 34 1 gap like Wade wnts it done. Hope we see more of that as the games progress.

I love Roy Williams but am frustrated when I see him make plays like last night where he throws himself against the opponent rather then tacking the guy and bringing him down. Same goes for use the horsecoller when he not allowed do so. Although I though the Bears did it 1-2 times and they didn't get called. I understand he's been doing it for a while but the coaching staff need to get on him about his arm tackling, bumping instead of tackling and horsecollar tackle.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Solid notes as well. I can add that, I think James is becoming dominant - i'll keep my eyes on him more, but he's all over the place.