Rex Ryan has reportedly re-entered the conversation with Jerry Jones and Mike McCarthy

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_Allen

Reaction score
I highly doubt Mike McCarthy is standing in the way of anything. The only power he has is calling plays on gameday. That's it. This has something to do with Zimmer balking at something, as someone else said.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I highly doubt Mike McCarthy is standing in the way of anything. The only power he has is calling plays on gameday. That's it. This has something to do with Zimmer balking at something, as someone else said.
Not really true.
MM has some say so in it. If he is the HC, he is involved.
Fans need to get over this Jerry controls everything BS.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Don't blame MM one bit........hell, my a___ is on the line and you wanna force me to work with one of your picked DC? BS and BS again......hell fire me.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Taking new interest in Rex Ryan amounts to lining up to take the logo three point shot and me screaming to the top of my lungs.... OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..... DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON'T.

Let's see if it's just for show.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Taking new interest in Rex Ryan amounts to lining up to take the logo three point shot and me screaming to the top of my lungs.... OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..... DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON'T.

Let's see if it's just for show.
The Cowboys, like most progressive teams in the league today, tend to prefer offensive coaches over defensive coaches. It would be difficult seeing them hand the keys over to Zimmer in 2025 but that doesn’t mean they didn’t dangle the carrot in their sales pitch.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/mike-zimmer-head-coach-in-waiting-cowboys/

Kwyn

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure big Mike wants Rex seeing how Rex reached out directly to him
That’s just a guess really. There may not be a mutiny or riot going on. Someone may have just wanted to do their due diligence.

McCarthy has big respect for Zimm. Not sure where he and Rex crossed paths but it looks like they know each other also.

Since I don’t want any of the three as our head coach in 2025, I guess it doesn’t matter to me. I just want less drama and I have to say, Rex means big drama. He loves cameras and microphones. Has an opinion on everything.

SloMo_Joe

Reaction score
Rex is McCarthys guy and Zimmer is the jones’?
I think its the opposite. Zimmer had high praises for McCarthy since they coached in the same division so there is probably some rapport there. Jerry likes Ryan because he sees him as a more disciplined Buddy Ryan.
Just my .02

Jumbo075

Reaction score
It sound to me like Zimmer is asking for some consideration in his contract, and the Cowboys aren't sure if they want to give it to him. He's told them that he's happy with any decision that the Cowboys make, but he's not budging on his request. If the Cowboys agree, he's happy to come to Dallas. If they don't, he's happy to keep doing what he's been doing. Now the Cowboys have to decide.

If they choose not to agree with Zimmer, they need a fall-back plan. And that is why they reached back out to Ryan. They are weighing their options.

I've got no problem with that. I've negotiated contracts, and had issues that were non-negotiable. If the other party didn't agree, it was not a deal. No hard feelings. Some of the best decisions made were for contracts I missed out on - because I would have lost out if I'd taken the contract without the protection I needed. It's not personal. It's just business.

Status
Not open for further replies.