Right Tackle position

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
Ok this is plainly my own observation and thinking, and I might be naive in thinking about this, but I have been reading ALOT all throughout football that Dan Campbell is probably the best blocking TE in football. Lets say he puts on 20 pounds, could he be the surprise Parcell's is talking about if nothing else works? Like I said I'll probably get bashed for putting this since this is just something I thought to myself and didn't get from a source or anything, but its just an idea....

Reaction score
no but the beauty about campbell is that he can take the right tackle and aid him no matter who it is. talk about an awesome blocking tight end!

HardHittin'Witten

This ain't Madden
Reaction score
who knows? points for being creative, though. at least this isn't a "Ellis is mad and wants out" or "we should trade for Ed Reed and Peyton Manning" thread.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting idea. But I suspect the surprise BP could spring on us is LA moving from LG. That move may or may not happen based on the level of play at RT in preseason and Peterman's development into a possible starter at LG. Taking Campbell out of the TE mix really weakens it's overall effectiveness IMO.

Dallas4ever

Reaction score
daboysin06 said:
Ok this is plainly my own observation and thinking, and I might be naive in thinking about this, but I have been reading ALOT all throughout football that Dan Campbell is probably the best blocking TE in football. Lets say he puts on 20 pounds, could he be the surprise Parcell's is talking about if nothing else works? Like I said I'll probably get bashed for putting this since this is just something I thought to myself and didn't get from a source or anything, but its just an idea....

I seriously doubt it my friend. Bill Parcells is too much of an old school coach to do something like that. I suspect that we will see a lot of two TE sets this season on both running and passing plays. Parcells know's better than anyone that he has to protect Bledsoe in order for him to be effective.

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
Agree with BigDog, Parcells has indicated before he would like to use a lot of more of the 2 TE sets and that plan went down in flames when Campbell got hurt last year. Right now TE position is a strength for us that will create mismatches in both the passing and running game so we shouldnt give that up to put a solid player like campbell out of his element. This is even more important because I think we will have more success running from the 2 TE formations than the traditional set because are FB situation is questionable, hopefully Polite can step up and be a solid blocker because Barnes is not even an average blocker.

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
Theres gotta be a reason they keep drafting TE's and keeping them? (Sean Ryan,etc..) They could use him in two tight end sets while using Campbell's skills every down at RT.

HardHittin'Witten

This ain't Madden
Reaction score
I think Parcells has a thing for tight ends. I'm waiting for Mark Bavaro to come out of retirement and suit up for us.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Well Tackles normally weigh somewhere in the 320-350 range. Campbell would have to put on a lot of weight.

TheHustler

Reaction score
With Riveria on one side of the RT and Campbell on the other side of the RT, whoever ends up winning that spot will have a LOT of help. We'll be just fine with tucker, vollers, rogers or petetti there.

Reaction score
While Campbell may be the best blocking tight end in football, that doesn't change the fact that he is in fact not an offensive tackle. I mean, in theory, it sounds like an alright idea, but you have to realize if he had the skillset to play tackle, he would have probably been doing it all through college at least.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
After adding 20 pounds Campbell would still be lighter by at least 20 pounds then all the other RT in the league.

Aint going to happen.

billknows

Reaction score
TheHustler said:
With Riveria on one side of the RT and Campbell on the other side of the RT, whoever ends up winning that spot will have a LOT of help. We'll be just fine with tucker, vollers, rogers or petetti there.

That is such a true statement. we really can afford to let someone develope at the Rt. tackle. Be it rookie or young vet, trust WE ARE FINE AT RT> Tackle........Bill knows

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
daboysin06 said:

hey, and then we can move Canty to TE and Larry Allen to backup NT, maybe move Roy Williams to OLB..at least you'll be popular with one on here

:rolleyes:

David

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
All im saying is that we have plenty of other tight ends that we could use if this were to happen. From what i've read Sean Ryan is a very capable blocker, (do we still have him?). Would you feel comfortable with Peterman or Gurode at LG, basically taking away 75% from the best left side in the league? You dont HAVE to be 320 pounds to play tackle, especially the right side. if he could be in the 280-290 range IMO thats enough, but I can also see you guy's points about two tight end sets and the fact that the RT will have plenty of help from Campbell any way, even if he doesn't play the positiion directly.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
hey, and then we can move Canty to TE and Larry Allen to backup NT, maybe move Roy Williams to OLB..at least you'll be popular with one on here

:rolleyes:

David

I have to admit I liked the Larry Allen NT thing, I brought that up last year too...I was shot down so many times I can't even count the holes...

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
I dunno why you guys think its such a far-fetched idea for Campbell to play RT one year if and only if one of the young guys (Rogers or Pettiti). Then next year Campbell could move back to TE. BUT ill drop it cause im makin myself look like an idiot