Ring Of Honor

ReturnToGlory

Reaction score
Before we start complaining about Harvey Martin, Drew Pearson etc etc not being in the HoF, can we start complaining about something we have more controll over and that is putting these guys in the Ring of Honor.

Does anyone have the "real" inside scoop why they are not in? If I were a player, I would be more pissed that I am not in my team's "hall of fame".

Does Jerry really want to make it so exclusive that we almost had Bob Hayes make the Hall of Fame and not the Ring of Honor.

sago1

Reaction score
I think most of us want to see more old time Cowboys in the ROH & this is certainly within the power of Cowboy fans. All it will take is a lot of letters, emails, banners in Texas Stadium which all can see, talk-show discussions, etc. to make Jerry Jones aware that many, many Cowboy fans want Martin & a few players in the ROH. Eventually Jones will give in. Now, I've never been to Texas Stadium but to assume there is room to make at least 3-4 additions, so get started campaigning.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I really like that it is very exclusive even if there is no true rhyme or reason. I enjoy the debates and conversations about guys that may be deserving of the RoH. The Cowboys RoH is the best in the NFL. Other teams can be jokes. The Colts have Jim Harbaugh in theirs. Dallas can have a very good discussion on whether Danny White should be in the RoH. Danny was much better than Harbaugh ever was.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
There was a good Op-Ed write-up in the DMN a couple of years back attemped to delve into the reason Pearson was not in the ROH. I can't find this article, but here is a short and succint version from a blog:

Dallas TV legend Dale Hansen tells me that there is a dispute of some sort between Drew Pearson and Jerry Jones, and that maybe it has something to do with Drew's Ring absence. A licensing issue relating to Drew's cap business, maybe? Jerry ducked the question when I asked him, but did say old timers should not think that there is some chronological issue that now

link

I believe the piece in the DMN stated that both sides had to eventually go to court to settle the issue.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
At some point this year they are honoring Crazy Ray in some way. Does anyone know what game?

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
mickgreen58;1737733 said:
There was a good Op-Ed write-up in the DMN a couple of years back attemped to delve into the reason Pearson was not in the ROH. I can't find this article, but here is a short and succint version from a blog:

link

I believe the piece in the DMN stated that both sides had to eventually go to court to settle the issue.

Drew copyrighted the name "Ring of Honor" and it pissed Jerry off. I think Drew has since offered to let Jerry use it or have it but I'm not sure if it helped.

morieeel

Reaction score
joseephuss;1737724 said:
I really like that it is very exclusive even if there is no true rhyme or reason. I enjoy the debates and conversations about guys that may be deserving of the RoH. The Cowboys RoH is the best in the NFL. Other teams can be jokes. The Colts have Jim Harbaugh in theirs. Dallas can have a very good discussion on whether Danny White should be in the RoH. Danny was much better than Harbaugh ever was.

Agree. I like it exclusive. Sets a very high standard for todays players knowing they have to do something pretty special to get that honor.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ReturnToGlory;1737690 said:
Before we start complaining about Harvey Martin, Drew Pearson etc etc not being in the HoF, can we start complaining about something we have more controll over and that is putting these guys in the Ring of Honor.

Does anyone have the "real" inside scoop why they are not in? If I were a player, I would be more pissed that I am not in my team's "hall of fame".

Does Jerry really want to make it so exclusive that we almost had Bob Hayes make the Hall of Fame and not the Ring of Honor.

Bob Hayes is in the Ring of Honor.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hostile;1737789 said:
I can't believe I didn't spot he had claimed that.

I get tired of hearing how it is Jerry fault that more guys are not in the Hall. Guys like Lee Roy Jordan have been in the ROH for years yet he is not in the Hall. Same with Cliff Harris. I do find something wrong with more of our guys not being in it but Jones is not the reason

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I think the writer was trying to provide an example, albeit a poor one, that a situation could occur, where a Cowboy is in the Hall of Fame, but not the Ring of Honor.

- Mike G.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Hostile;1737740 said:
At some point this year they are honoring Crazy Ray in some way. Does anyone know what game?

They already did that Hos. It was like 1st or 2nd home game. They had CR's wife out at mid-field, as well as his friend Zema, the unofficial Commander mascot, for some sort of presentation.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Taps-n-1;1737842 said:
They already did that Hos. It was like 1st or 2nd home game. They had CR's wife out at mid-field, as well as his friend Zema, the unofficial Commander mascot, for some sort of presentation.
Oh man. I'm sorry I didn't see any articles for that. If you find anything on it, please forward it to me. I want to add it to the calendar function here for Cowboys History.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Hostile;1737848 said:
Oh man. I'm sorry I didn't see any articles for that. If you find anything on it, please forward it to me. I want to add it to the calendar function here for Cowboys History.

I think my BIL has some pics. He and his group were the only ones of our bunch that was seated early that game. I'll check with him. It may have been at halftime of that game, I'm not clear on that.

I do remember seeing it mentioned in the DNM Blog. You might check those archives.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Taps-n-1;1737860 said:
I think my BIL has some pics. He and his group were the only ones of our bunch that was seated early that game. I'll check with him. It may have been at halftime of that game, I'm not clear on that.

I do remember seeing it mentioned in the DNM Blog. You might check those archives.
Thanks. I really appreciate it. I've been anticipating this all year. Can't believe I never saw it mentioned.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Hostile;1737886 said:
Thanks. I really appreciate it. I've been anticipating this all year. Can't believe I never saw it mentioned.

Here's a link.

I'm playing 9 w/ the BIL and his boss in a few hours. I'll make myself a note to ask about the pics.

ReturnToGlory

Reaction score
mickgreen58;1737811 said:
I think the writer was trying to provide an example, albeit a poor one, that a situation could occur, where a Cowboy is in the Hall of Fame, but not the Ring of Honor.

- Mike G.

I believe Bob Hayes got into the Ring of Honor after he and Irvin got dinged in the final HoF vote the year prior. Had it not been for Cowboys bias, Hayes would have gotten into the Hall and not the Ring.

I agree about the Ring being exclusive, but wouldn't it be good if we can honor our own like Harvey Martin and Drew Pearson that are kept out of the Hall due to Cowboys bias?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Taps-n-1;1737906 said:
Here's a link.

I'm playing 9 w/ the BIL and his boss in a few hours. I'll make myself a note to ask about the pics.
Thank you. Man I wish Tim McMahon had left that last blurb out. It just seems wrong to add that to a tribute about a great man.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
ReturnToGlory;1737907 said:
I believe Bob Hayes got into the Ring of Honor after he and Irvin got dinged in the final HoF vote the year prior. Had it not been for Cowboys bias, Hayes would have gotten into the Hall and not the Ring.

I agree about the Ring being exclusive, but wouldn't it be good if we can honor our own like Harvey Martin and Drew Pearson that are kept out of the Hall due to Cowboys bias?

Yes.

I spoke to Rick Gosselin about this when Irvin and Aikman were inducted into the ROH. He felt that Jerry was anxious to get some of his Cowboys into the ROH and it didn't neccessarily close the door on Landry's Cowboys.

Some will laugh, but another name that seems to get overlooked is Everson Walls.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
joseephuss;1737724 said:

I agree, but, the Cowboys may have a higher standard for their Ring.