Romo plus - what - for Jadeveon Clowney?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As the offseason begins in earnest, I keep looking at the two biggest situations concerning the Cowboys:

What happens with Tony Romo?

And

How does this team acquire a quality pass rusher?

And I keep coming back to two things.

First, the Texans are a playoff team handicapped by not having a capable quarterback. In terms of Romo destinations, they make more sense to me than anywhere else, for a number of reasons.

Second, that same Texans team has tough decisions to make on retaining some good young talents.

They're currently in good bad shape, with the ability to take on Romo's salary while being stuck with another year of Osweiler's deal. The cost of both would be high, but not impossible, and for just one year. They could then keep Romo with no guaranteed money and cut Osweiler with a tolerable cap hit in 2018.

But they've got big money tied up in JJ Watt already and they've extended Whitney Mercilus as well. Clowney will likely cost $14 million to tag for 2018, and more than that on average going forward.

In addition, they've got DeAndre Hopkins coming up for a top 5 receiver contract.

They've got to decide who they can afford to keep and who they have to let go. And to decide if they want to watch another season wasted by poor quarterback play.

In looking at this year's free agency, I see no pass rusher who would be the true difference maker that the Cowboys so desperately need. Most will be tagged or re-signed anyway, and those left won't be worth their price tag. Even the best like JPP have warts and question marks. I just don't see a real option there.

But what Dallas does have, is a proven starting quarterback in Tony Romo. And I believe that the Texans best meet any and all requirements that Romo might have.

Minimal move involved. No team is closer.
A playoff team already.
Good offense in place with RB, TE, WR, and a good OL.
One of the best defense's in the league.

Clowney has some health question marks just like Romo does, so there would shared risk involved for both sides. But both teams would be filling their biggest needs while still having reliable options left after the deal.

And to help make sure to get a deal done, I'd be willing to throw in a draft pick or two, but at this point, I'm wondering what it would take?

Given the injury and financial circumstances, and the players already in place, I can see it as a possibility for the Texans to trade Clowney. In fact, I've seen Texans fans discussing it themselves already. And, given rumors ive already heard regarding their head coach, I can definitely see a sense of urgency within the organization to get something done now rather than wasting another season.

In examining all possible options, this one makes the most sense to me, but I'd be interested in hearing others' thoughts and perspectives?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
They aren't dealing Clowney. I thought it may have been a move we could have made, but I think he played too well. However, he *is not* being utilized best as a 3-4 DE...

batman36

Reaction score
If Houston could land Romo in a deal not including Clowney, I think they'd do it. I don't believe they'll deal him otherwise.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They aren't dealing Clowney. I thought it may have been a move we could have made, but I think he played too well. However, he *is not* being utilized best as a 3-4 DE...

I don't think it's out if the question.

Clowney has missed a lot of time in his career due to injury. And he's already had microfracture on one knee and a scope on the other a month ago. There's risk involved with him.

And he will cost Houston $14 million for his 5th year option in 2018. And likely a contract averaging above that going forward. And they've got other players like Watt and Mercilus - proven pass rushers - under contract for several years.

They need a quarterback badly, and also need to hand out a huge contract to DeAndre Hopkins to keep a top 5 receiver.

I don't see where they simply keep Clowney and are able to pay out that much money to so few players.

They're stuck with Watt's deal for a few more years whether he's ever the same player or not.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Houston could land Romo in a deal not including Clowney, I think they'd do it. I don't believe they'll deal him otherwise.

I think if the Texans got a draft pick to help improve their offensive line they'd do it. I think outside of quarterback, offensive line would be their only other possible shortcoming. A few more picks spent there and that team looks stacked top to bottom.

batman36

Reaction score
I think if the Texans got a draft pick to help improve their offensive line they'd do it. I think outside of quarterback, offensive line would be their only other possible shortcoming. A few more picks spent there and that team looks stacked top to bottom.
Yes, I agree with you. Imagine; the Cowboys could bolster the Texans' roster with players like Tony Romo(trade), Ron Leary(UFA), La'el Collins(trade) or dare I say, Doug Free(release/trade). For the right price, of course.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, I agree with you. Imagine; the Cowboys could bolster the Texans' roster with players like Tony Romo(trade), Ron Leary(UFA), La'el Collins(trade) or dare I say, Doug Free(release/trade). For the right price, of course.

Now who's dreaming?
:laugh:

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
Agreed. He will be released. No GM is trading for him. IF, any club really wants Tony...thay will wait and it benefits the Cowboy bottom line.

Bingo. Teams who might be interested in him know that Dallas is not going to spend $14 million for a backup QB. They will wait.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed. He will be released. No GM is trading for him. IF, any club really wants Tony...thay will wait and it benefits the Cowboy bottom line.

So how does getting absolutely nothing for the toughest position to fill in all of sports "benefit the bottom line"?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bingo. Teams who might be interested in him know that Dallas is not going to spend $14 million for a backup QB. They will wait.

"Wait" for another team to sign him and be stuck with another wasted year of Brock Osweiler? Doesn't sound like a great plan.

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
"Wait" for another team to sign him and be stuck with another wasted year of Brock Osweiler? Doesn't sound like a great plan.

What other teams? San Fran? Cleveland? Chicago? Houston knows that if Tony is released he will not be interested in signing with a team that's in rebuild mode. I'm sorry but the list of teams willing to trade a draft pick for a 37 year old with multiple back surguries and hasn't played in 2 seasons is pretty short.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What other teams? San Fran? Cleveland? Chicago? Houston knows that if Tony is released he will not be interested in signing with a team that's in rebuild mode. I'm sorry but the list of teams willing to trade a draft pick for a 37 year old with multiple back surguries and hasn't played in 2 seasons is pretty short.

Sure it is. But all it needs to be is more than 1.

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
Sure it is. But all it needs to be is more than 1.

I hope you are right. I just feel like this is somewhat similar to the D. Ware situation. Everyone knew we were going to have to release one of the greatest DE to ever play because of cap reasons and injury concerns. No trade offers came and he was released.

Verdict

Reaction score
I don't think this is as far fetched as some think. If you focus on Clowneys youth and draft position and Romos age and injury history then one would assume that it would take Romo plus some to make that trade. That's arguably right.

But if you think outside the box it would probably be a shrewd move for the Texans to trade Clowney straight up for Rome with no other compensation.

The Texans with clowney are a dominant defense. But without Clowney they are still top 2. Without Romo their offense sucks so bad it's not even funny. With Romo they become a super bowl favorite.

I think the Texans will give up a first for Romo if we hold their feet to the fire. They would actually be better off letting Clowney go and saving his cap hit and future contract than giving up the draft pick.