Romo Tradeable/Untradeable

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ive heard here that Romo is both untradable and very tradable because of his contract. Can someone clarify which it is?

Mods: I wasnt sure if this was a Roster Zone or QB Zone kinda thread

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Romo's base salary balloons to $14 million in 2017. Any team who trades for him takes on that cap number, which goes to $19 and $20 million in 2018-19. That doesn't sound very trade able to me.

The Cowboys save $53 million in cap space from 2017-2019 if they cut him after June 1st of 2017.

http://overthecap.com/player/tony-romo/145/

sean10mm

Reaction score
From a Cowboys point of view Romo isn't really tradeable this season, but is in 2017+

From the other team's point of view, it depends on if they can absorb an expensive QB contract or not.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Romo's base salary balloons to $14 million in 2017. Any team who trades for him takes on that cap number, which goes to $19 and $20 million in 2018-19. That doesn't sound very trade able to me.

The Cowboys save $53 million in cap space from 2017-2019 if they cut him after June 1st of 2017.

Yes. Cutting him June 1st is the only logical decision and l would assume that will happen. The Jones are business people first and Romos contract was structured for a good reason.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
If we could get 3 first rd picks for Dez, Romo, and Scandrick. Would you do it.
That gives the Cowboys 4 first rd picks next year. That's crazy.

Not sure that we could get 3 first rd picks for those three but just throwing it out there.

Verdict

Reaction score

I don't think this is how it works. The salary for the year is his cap number to the team who he gets traded to. Our prorated bonus accelerates into OUR cap number, not the team he is traded to. If there is a roster bonus that is unpaid that goes to the new team who pays it to him.

You guys underestimate the cap number for franchise QBS. $20 million per year will be the going rate per year going forward and Romo's salary is below that. He would be a bit of a bargain for his new team. Not so much for is because of his signing bonus that has already been paid.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jerry-jones-chris-christie-hug.gif

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Ive heard here that Romo is both untradable and very tradable because of his contract. Can someone clarify which it is?

Mods: I wasnt sure if this was a Roster Zone or QB Zone kinda thread

The Cowboy save 5M in cap space if they trade him this Spring.

Most teams can clear 14M in cap space to acquire Romo. They could then restructure his contract to lower the 2017 and 2018 cap hits.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I don't know if it works in terms of the salary cap considerations, but it'd be cool to see Romo traded to Denver for a package deal for a high draft pick and say Shane Ray.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score

The Bears gain 14 mil in cap room by simply releasing Jay Cutler and the Chiefs could gain almost ten million by releasing Alex Smith. Romo would be an upgrade over either of those guys. The Broncos have some guys to sign, but are projected to have almost $39 million in cap space to work with. Those three teams alone could fit Romo with just a few moves/restructures.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we could get 3 first rd picks for Dez, Romo, and Scandrick. Would you do it.
That gives the Cowboys 4 first rd picks next year. That's crazy.

Not sure that we could get 3 first rd picks for those three but just throwing it out there.
Sure. But why stop there? Let's get 6 first round picks for them.

Scandrick might bring a 5th round pick, maybe. Romo might bring a courtesy conditional late-round pick from a team so they can get him before we cut him and he's available to everyone. Dez is the only one where a first round pick is possible, but I don't think anyone would give a 1st-rounder for him.