Roster 2024 vs roster 2023

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
It’s the offseason and we’re bored.
I mean, going by Big Dog's logic, why even bother typing on a message board what we think is the right or wrong moves considering we're not the Coaches and have no relation to the Jones Family. At least I don't think I do, never know, Jerry has himself some wild boy nights.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Given the players we lost or cut this year it is obvious that overall we are way down. Armstrong, Biadasz, Pollard, Tyron Smith, LVE, Hankins, and Gilmore were all starters. So was Kearse, but I think with the new defense that may not be so. Gallup was a contributor, as was Dowdle. Even McKeon got in there some when one of the TEs was hurt. And, of course, Fowler got a lot of quality snaps for Dallas.

The Cowboys have signaled very clearly that they are not going to replace these players with players who are better or even equal. Imagine all these player got hurt during the season and were replaced with backups, some of whom were signed off the street. That's what the Cowboys roster will looked like with the exception of a handful of draft picks, maybe 2 of which actual have a chance to start.

I do not think CeeDee, Micah and Diggs will be enough to win games. The same is true for Dak. We are fooling ourselves if we think this team will have a winning record at the end of the season.

And I am still concerned that we have not seen an extension for CeeDee yet. It's as if the Cowboys are deliberately stalling on creating CAP space. In the past, the Cowboys at least made attempts to sign their own players in free agency. This year they have really not even done that, unless you think signing Lewis and Goodwin is anything more than appeasement for the fans.
Even before they decided to be record cheap in Free Agency (which is saying something for them) I felt it would require an all-time draft to get this team better. Not able to find much optimism in the upcoming season, but as our contract challenged QB would say... here we go!

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I think coaching is up. DQ was pretty good against teams with losing records in the regular season but Zimmer will be an upgrade
I think DT is up I'm not as down on Mazi as some and he should see a second year bump in performance. DTs frequently take time to develop in the NFL
Diggs was hurt last season so I think CB is also up
I don't think it was as much DQ's bad coaching as it was lack of personnel so I'm not sure how much improvement we'll see with Zimm.

Can't stress enough how underrated that Fowler/Armstrong loss is if the backups don't produce. Tank is older, and Micah is undersized. They need breathers. And I can think of plenty of gamechanging sacks and pressures made by both Fowler and Armstrong over the years. I would not be surprised if Diggs struggles both physically and in Zimm's defense. Zimm will not like the gambling, and Diggs may not have the physical ability to make up for it.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I really don't get all these posts free agency literally started three days ago you're telling me that all teams are now set and the good ones who acted fast enough are going to the Super bowl because they went and picked through the most expensive free agents at the beginning which by the way there wasn't that many moves as a matter of fact I'd say 80% of the free agents left are good enough to build very good quality teams since when does a team build a roster in the first four days of free agency????

You are comparing last year's roster 6 months before the season starts before the draft and before the real holes start to get filled by very quality players that are still out there a lot and I mean a lot you're probably gonna be more than 100 free agents and maybe 10 of them are gone and a big majority of those were running backs and who really wants to buy expensive used up running backs I know they could probably have somewhat of an impact but that's one of the easiest positions to fill a couple were quarterbacks we don't need quarterbacks so tell me all these positions that are already dried up show me not our roster compared to last year because we're not even close to finishing it why don't you show me all the free agents at every position that we're available and you can rank them and tell me which ones are gone and how many of them are left and I can tell you that your post is way off there's literally hundreds of good players three and every position that we can still pick up and build a very good team we are not gonna be desperate in the draft last year we went ahead and made little trades brought over Gilmore and cooks so we wouldn't have to be desperate those moves can be made undrafted free agent moves can be made and teams are still gonna be willing to trade some players during the draft or right after the draft because they're gonna end up cutting them then they're gonna be cut during cut down there are so many good players still there that these posts are so ridiculous that you act like if you didn't move in the first four days of free agency then it's over and that those teams are all destined for greatness and everyone else is left out in the cold I mean we have no shot nobody has a shot you mean like the words a couple years ago historically bad offseason what happened ohh I'd say twelve wins every offseason we say this and what happened ohh another twelve wins three straight playoffs 2 division titles and you think still that the first four days of free agency is the only thing a team has to guarantee a good season and a good roster????

All these posts giving bad grades to the offseason you know free agency and roster building 4 days in is ridiculous it's all overreactions it's all emotional people are all up in their feelings every offseason but this one's even worse let's give the damn front office a chance to build the roster 1st and it does not happen all in the first four days this is just fans trying to be right early and hopes we have a bad season so they can say look I was right well you did that three years in a row and you were wrong....
I posted a stat here not long ago. Top three teams last 10 years in free agency spending averaged 2 extra wins a year, bottom three teams last 10 years in free agency almost averaged 2 extra losses a year. Definitely going to feel an impact from this all-time cheap free agency if they don't get moving on some more bargains that are out there. I'm guessing the release of Gallup and LVE was to do that?

plymkr

Reaction score
I mean, going by Big Dog's logic, why even bother typing on a message board what we think is the right or wrong moves considering we're not the Coaches and have no relation to the Jones Family. At least I don't think I do, never know, Jerry has himself some wild boy nights.
I’d get a DNA test. All this time I’ve been playing the lottery and my winning lottery ticket could be in my blood. My mom was a stewardess at some time…hmmmmm

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This chart is broken. Free agents are marked as in limbo and graded as being the same. The TE group is marked as improved based on assumptions.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
This chart is broken. Free agents are marked as in limbo and graded as being the same. The TE group is marked as improved based on assumptions.
‘In limbo’ means not signed by anyone yet and assumed off the team. Looks like Tyron was the last one we were working with so I don’t think any are coming back. TE is an assumption but a logical assumption. Players grow into jobs just like us. Schoon obviously not as flashy as Fergy’s rookie year but showed enough to give us something. Fergy made Pro Bowl his second year, he’s going to have a great future. If the Jones aren’t too cheap!

morasp

Reaction score
I don't think it was as much DQ's bad coaching as it was lack of personnel so I'm not sure how much improvement we'll see with Zimm.

Can't stress enough how underrated that Fowler/Armstrong loss is if the backups don't produce. Tank is older, and Micah is undersized. They need breathers. And I can think of plenty of gamechanging sacks and pressures made by both Fowler and Armstrong over the years. I would not be surprised if Diggs struggles both physically and in Zimm's defense. Zimm will not like the gambling, and Diggs may not have the physical ability to make up for it.
Our last three drafts have been dominated by defensive picks that were DQ's guys. If anything Zimmer is the one who inherits the hot mess and will have to sift through them and field a credible defense. I looked it up and in the last three drafts 18 of the 29 picks were used on defense including the two picks we used trading up for that day three CB last year, Seven out of the ten first three round picks were used on defense I would argue that Zimmer deserves more than one season to put together a decent unit.

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
I posted a stat here not long ago. Top three teams last 10 years in free agency spending averaged 2 extra wins a year, bottom three teams last 10 years in free agency almost averaged 2 extra losses a year. Definitely going to feel an impact from this all-time cheap free agency if they don't get moving on some more bargains that are out there. I'm guessing the release of Gallup and LVE was to do that?
OK well show me all the teams that finished better than twelve wins three straight years that means all the teams that were ahead of the Cowboys 36 wins two division titles and three straight playoff appearances show me their spending and how it made them better and I'm betting somehow the Kansas City Chiefs and I don't even have to do any research the last two seasons Super Bowl winners were not at the top of the spending window I've seen them win with young players with running back by committee with a seventh round running back and they did the same thing at wide receiver letting most of their good players go and depending on great coaching and of course Patrick mahomes...

So somehow you're putting a curve into your math for the entire 32 teams but I don't remember a whole lot of teams finishing with a record better than twelve wins so how does this relate to the Cowboys you're saying that they had two extra wins that means all the teams you're talking about had fourteen wins so how many of those were there the last three years????? Let's keep this the Dallas Cowboys as it relates to our last three years now we finished in the playoffs he's talking about the regular season guest that is the only way we could really sort this out but again I don't have to look it up I bet the Kansas City Chiefs are in the middle of the pack with the Dallas Cowboys as far as how they handle free agency.... But let's just stick to the top of the league show me all those teams who were better than twelve wins than the Dallas Cowboys and what their free agent spending was.... And how far did they go in the playoffs the last three seasons that should be easy I wanna see it I'm not in the mood or have the time to do it because I don't believe the math you've done the curve with 32 teams they may have got two more wins than the teams below them from like say team 10 the team 32 but when it relates to the top six teams in the league I bet it's far different because Cowboys sure winning their fair share games not being in the top of the spending spree...

You know they're allowed to use all available resources of the way the NFL set up that means that is free agency which lasts pretty much the entire year to October and the draft and undrafted free agents and trades to build a roster nothing happens in the first four days and I'm sorry but dream teams and people who spend the most money are not the ones typically ending up in the Super bowl there has been a couple all in scenarios that's not a blueprint and that is not normal that is not a consistent thing because again how much money the last two seasons did the Kansas City Chiefs actually spend both on their players but really on outside their organization to bring in new guys??? They are the cream of the crop right I mean back-to-back Super Bowl wins so I wanna know in 2022 and 2023 how did they stack up in the free agent spending compared to the Dallas Cowboys??

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
‘In limbo’ means not signed by anyone yet and assumed off the team. Looks like Tyron was the last one we were working with so I don’t think any are coming back. TE is an assumption but a logical assumption. Players grow into jobs just like us. Schoon obviously not as flashy as Fergy’s rookie year but showed enough to give us something. Fergy made Pro Bowl his second year, he’s going to have a great future. If the Jones aren’t too cheap!
If they are assumed to be off the team and the team hasn't signed anyone else how can it be labeled the same?

TE should be marked the same. Same players coming back
WR should technically be marked down for losing the 4th or 5th best receiver.
CB should absolutely be marked down for losing a starter from last year.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
If they are assumed to be off the team and the team hasn't signed anyone else how can it be labeled the same?

TE should be marked the same. Same players coming back
WR should technically be marked down for losing the 4th or 5th best receiver.
CB should absolutely be marked down for losing a starter from last year.
It's all opinion, but my rationale:

-- TE 1st and 2nd string dominated by 2nd and 3rd year player that are still raw. Have to assume that position will improve as the kids get more experience. Safe bet. 2nd TE also gets plenty of playing time in our offenses.
-- WR, I don't think we'll lose much replacing Gallup with Tolbert and others. Gallup was never the same after his ACL. Thinking we lose much is using the Gallup from several years ago. If anyone helped Dak after CeeDee it was Fergy, not another WR. So I think we'll be more of the same at WR, unless Cooks age catches up.
-- CB, we lost Diggs early. So we're basically replacing Gillmore, Bland, Lewis with Diggs, Bland, Lewis. Assuming no ACL issues, I think that's a draw. Lewis struggled with ACL early in season too. Unlike Diggs, he was rushed back. Bland is entering his 3rd season. Cornerback is as mental as it is physical learning NFL offenses. He'll be even better. Think it's safe to assume we'll be the same ASSUMING no injuries and we have to go beyond the top 3 corners.

Last edited:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
OK well show me all the teams that finished better than twelve wins three straight years that means all the teams that were ahead of the Cowboys 36 wins two division titles and three straight playoff appearances show me their spending and how it made them better and I'm betting somehow the Kansas City Chiefs and I don't even have to do any research the last two seasons Super Bowl winners were not at the top of the spending window I've seen them win with young players with running back by committee with a seventh round running back and they did the same thing at wide receiver letting most of their good players go and depending on great coaching and of course Patrick mahomes...

So somehow you're putting a curve into your math for the entire 32 teams but I don't remember a whole lot of teams finishing with a record better than twelve wins so how does this relate to the Cowboys you're saying that they had two extra wins that means all the teams you're talking about had fourteen wins so how many of those were there the last three years????? Let's keep this the Dallas Cowboys as it relates to our last three years now we finished in the playoffs he's talking about the regular season guest that is the only way we could really sort this out but again I don't have to look it up I bet the Kansas City Chiefs are in the middle of the pack with the Dallas Cowboys as far as how they handle free agency.... But let's just stick to the top of the league show me all those teams who were better than twelve wins than the Dallas Cowboys and what their free agent spending was.... And how far did they go in the playoffs the last three seasons that should be easy I wanna see it I'm not in the mood or have the time to do it because I don't believe the math you've done the curve with 32 teams they may have got two more wins than the teams below them from like say team 10 the team 32 but when it relates to the top six teams in the league I bet it's far different because Cowboys sure winning their fair share games not being in the top of the spending spree...

You know they're allowed to use all available resources of the way the NFL set up that means that is free agency which lasts pretty much the entire year to October and the draft and undrafted free agents and trades to build a roster nothing happens in the first four days and I'm sorry but dream teams and people who spend the most money are not the ones typically ending up in the Super bowl there has been a couple all in scenarios that's not a blueprint and that is not normal that is not a consistent thing because again how much money the last two seasons did the Kansas City Chiefs actually spend both on their players but really on outside their organization to bring in new guys??? They are the cream of the crop right I mean back-to-back Super Bowl wins so I wanna know in 2022 and 2023 how did they stack up in the free agent spending compared to the Dallas Cowboys??
I guess I don't understand what point you're trying to make? Are you defending them just to defend them or do you actually think the team is on a path of improvement right now based on FA results thus far?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's all opinion, but my rationale:

-- TE 1st and 2nd string dominated by 2nd and 3rd year player that are still raw. Have to assume that position will improve as the kids get more experience. Safe bet.
-- WR, I don't think we'll lose much replacing Gallup with Tolbert and others. Gallup was never the same after his ACL. Thinking we lose much is using the Gallup from several years ago. If anyone helped Dak after CeeDee it was Fergy, not another WR. So I think we'll be more of the same at WR, unless Cooks age catches up.
-- CB, we lost Diggs early. So we're basically replacing Gillmore, Bland, Lewis with Diggs, Bland, Lewis. Assuming no ACL issues, I think that's a draw. Lewis struggled with ACL early in season too. Unlike Diggs, he was rushed back. Bland is entering his 3rd season. Cornerback is as mental as it is physical learning NFL offenses. He'll be even better. Think it's safe to assume we'll be the same ASSUMING no injuries and we have to go beyond the top 3 corners.
It would make things so much easier if players only got better each year. But that is not the case. I like Fergy but I can't say he'll get better, he might be the same which is still pretty good and schoon will still be TE2 getting TE2 opportinities.

Gallup is better than tolbert and turpin combined and while i'd have cut him too he was still better than the next 2 guys on the roster. Again the assumption is guys step up but that's not proven yet.

Diggs is coming back off major injury. We do not know what level we can expect his play to be at. I always err on guys having a down year when coming back from an leg injury. Also not a fan of lewis

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
It would make things so much easier if players only got better each year. But that is not the case. I like Fergy but I can't say he'll get better, he might be the same which is still pretty good and schoon will still be TE2 getting TE2 opportinities.

Gallup is better than tolbert and turpin combined and while i'd have cut him too he was still better than the next 2 guys on the roster. Again the assumption is guys step up but that's not proven yet.

Diggs is coming back off major injury. We do not know what level we can expect his play to be at. I always err on guys having a down year when coming back from an leg injury. Also not a fan of lewis
I respect your opinion, and can see some of your points. I definitely thought about all that. But just felt the grade was fair in the end... all things considered... and assuming best case scenarios. Diggs and Overshown are examples. Since the ACLs happened early in the year, I hope it means adjusting won't be as rough, like some of our other guys last year who tore it very late in the previous year and were obviously slow out of the gate.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I guess I don't understand what point you're trying to make? Are you defending them just to defend them or do you actually think the team is on a path of improvement right now based on FA results thus far?
TBD INC

look man I don't know how else to explain it to you you all are so premature,

I hope this isn't your personality in real life they call you Mr. premature lol :lmao:

literally four days into free agency and you're already making comps to last year's roster into what our roster might be in the future y'all are too early,

you're asking that question and I'm telling you to be determined very incomplete,​
we don't have enough information to make that kind of prediction literally there's six months left to get this right and you're four days in thinking you all have the answers and the outlook we've heard it before some of the same people in here use the word historically bad offseason which turned into a second round playoff type year, literally won 12 games three years in a row ,all three years everybody's upset this early in free agency and somehow they put together a good enough roster not only to win 12 games not only to get to the playoffs yes we're all disappointed in the playoffs but literally teams are pillaging our players...​
if we're not bad how is it our players end up on other teams if our players were that bad and our GM could not put enough good talent on the field why is Washington and other teams taking our guys why is Dalton Schultz making $12 million now....????​

I mean how is it that these guys are finding their way onto other teams and we still are winning 12 games, losing guys each year we have to reboot and change about 17% of our players and we keep winning 12 games ,

you all somehow have it in your mind that whatever's happened over the first four days of free agency sets the entire tone for how it's gonna end up for these teams throughout the regular season and I'm telling you you can't be more wrong because we have not had the entire roster building. Even get close to ending....

blueblood70

Reaction score
You cannot judge any free agent results from any team until they see the field and play the entire season that's how we can judge these players in these moves we can talk in February of 2025 how about that how about it's a date let's have some chitchat in February...

All the pre judgments 4 days into free agency is ridiculous it's a waste of time because we don't know how they're gonna fit on teams we don't know if they're gonna stay healthy we don't even know if those in teams that proved themselves or not because they also had to fill giant holes lots of teams lost lots of good players they have to fill that doesn't mean the names they got in the first four days or somehow a prediction for their success during the regular season... We can talk about week to week game to game and at the end of the year how this all works out not four days in you guys are making wholesale judgments on not even knowing how these players are gonna fit in with their new teams.... The paper champion dream team scenarios are just that it's all something for fans to talk about and they seldom been very wrong when it comes to their own team and the Dallas Cowboys all this historically bad offseasons we allegedly were having all turned into twelve win seasons and sure I would love to go further into playoffs but right now we gotta worry about the regular season first and not four days of free agency...