CFZ Roster Building: Draft and Develop vs the modern cap era method

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most Cowboys fans could probably agree on one thing these days: This has not been a great off-season so far. Yes, we still have the draft and some minor FA moves ahead, but the early report card grade on the Cowboys would have to be an F if we’re being honest. If we’re generous we could possibly say it’s an “I” for incomplete.

Although none of us know for sure, it appears the front office is once again using the roster building philosophy known as “Draft and Develop”. This is a model we started using in the Garrett era. It centers on teams being stingy in FA and put almost all of their emphasis on the draft, expecting the players drafted in the first 3 rounds to have immediate impact and later to develop the other players for depth and STs. It’s not a completely crazy model.

But the best NFL GMs would consider the “Draft and Develop” model only partially effective and a bit outdated. The more modern cap era approach is to build a better roster through 3 ways:
  1. Acquire a few impactful starters in FA and/or in a trade. Target guys that will have immediate impact and not guys that are over the hill. A one or two year deal is ideal because this is about winning now- this year.
  2. A strong draft with at least 1-2 starters and at least 2 decent depth and STs players.
  3. Quality cap management. Making sure the long term guys you have committed to have good amount of flexibility in the terms of the contract. (Unlike what the team did with Dak’s deal in 2021, where all the advantages were given to Dak) And also not being afraid to admit a mistake and moving on from a guy you made a mistake with.
So how have the Cowboys done using the “Draft and Develop“ model since 2011 when Garrett took over? (2011 was when the D&D model was started here- a total of 13 seasons)
  • The Cowboys regular season record since 2011 is 123-88. That’s pretty good over 13 seasons. (that’s 58% winning%)
  • BUT…The Cowboys have made the playoffs 6 times in the last 13 seasons. That’s 46% of the time we have made the playoffs.
  • The Cowboys have only won 3 wild card playoff games in the six times they have made the playoffs since 2011.
That last bullet is the one that is the most frustrating. In essence, the “Draft and Develop” model we are seemingly following again this off-season has given 3 wild card wins in 13 years. The regular season wins are only as good as the playoff wins that follow.

The most frustrating thing to me in all this is watching this FO do the same roster building philosophy again that has yielded us 3 wild card wins in 13 years. Why would anyone expect the 14th time we do this strategy this year to somehow be the magic bullet?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They need to look into coaches that can game plan in the playoffs.

The FO has put talent on the field. They need a coach that knows how to scheme and scheme on the fly.
Jerry has hired 6 head coaches since our last divisional playoff win in 1995. Either he isn’t good at hiring HCs or Jerry just can’t get it done without a lot of help from a strong HC like Jimmy. The FO has put talent on the field. But it has been incapable of stringing multiple playoff wins together in 28 seasons.

Is it just the head coach?

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Jerry has hired 6 head coaches since our last divisional playoff win in 1995. Either he isn’t good at hiring HCs or Jerry just can’t get it done without a lot of help from a strong HC like Jimmy. The FO has put talent on the field. But it has been incapable of stringing multiple playoff wins together in 28 seasons.

Is it just the head coach?
I think its by design, personally.

Was there a cap during Jimmy's Era? Not discrediting him at all...just asking. Google is telling me is started in 1994.

Always seems to be something.

I think coaching is the big deal here. Without getting into all the Dak or Romo hate...I think the team has lacked suitable playoff planning...not lack of QB play. Notice how Romo and Dak both have the Playoff "yips"...I dont believe in coincidence.

I would like to see what Bill Belicheck could do with this defense and also see what his 50+ years of knowledge can do to iron out the kinks in our offense. There would be no excuses left if we hired Bill.

plymkr

Reaction score

The FO has put talent on the field. They need a coach that knows how to scheme and scheme on the fly.
Not that I’m disagreeing with you because you’re right. What I don’t get is how does a coaching staff effectively game plan during the season but don’t game plan for the playoffs? So it could be a couple things:
1. Our team talent is good enough to beat up on average or below average teams in the regular season but come playoff time we struggle with equal talent or more talented teams.
2. Our coaches “coached scared” in the playoffs and forget all Xs and Os and just wing it.
3. Our players and coaches care more about self promotion than football. Football is just a means to an end and not the priority.

I think it’s all 3. I think playing in the NFC East inflates our record and our talent isn’t as good as we hope it is. I feel we as fans “like our guys” a little too much as well and overrate them. I feel the coaches can’t effectively coach with Jerry undermining them and I feel Jerry’s marketing of the product instead of fixing the product wears off on the players. They adapt that marketing priority as well.

To sum it up I agree the FO puts talent on the field but that talent is overrated, heartless, and care more about self promotion than winning. Then our coaches can’t coach as well as the big daddies in the league. It’s a destructive cycle that needs to change.

Big_D

Reaction score
This could be the worst offseason ever. Sure.. there were worse in the Jerry era considering some of the stupidity we've seen from him over the years, but what makes this so pathetic is the team was close and they just took any opportunity they had spit in it's face and tossed it in the garbage. Being frugal in free agency is one thing, but when you spent years overpaying your on players on the flip side of that, it's pretty ridiculous. And here we are 3 12 win seasons in a row and that's when they decide to "reset" or whatever it is we think these morons are up to??

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
The only tweaks I would make are prioritizing the trenches more in RD1...never spend a Top 20 pick on a RB or off ball LB..... and get a real Draft Expert, not the Crypt Keeper.

But TBT, they've done OK.

It's just that...if you have Kirk Cousins as your QB, your team will do Kirk Cousins like things in the big games ...and you will always come up short in the playoffs.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Not that I’m disagreeing with you because you’re right. What I don’t get is how does a coaching staff effectively game plan during the season but don’t game plan for the playoffs? So it could be a couple things:
1. Our team talent is good enough to beat up on average or below average teams in the regular season but come playoff time we struggle with equal talent or more talented teams.
2. Our coaches “coached scared” in the playoffs and forget all Xs and Os and just wing it.
3. Our players and coaches care more about self promotion than football. Football is just a means to an end and not the priority.

I think it’s all 3. I think playing in the NFC East inflates our record and our talent isn’t as good as we hope it is. I feel we as fans “like our guys” a little too much as well and overrate them. I feel the coaches can’t effectively coach with Jerry undermining them and I feel Jerry’s marketing of the product instead of fixing the product wears off on the players. They adapt that marketing priority as well.

To sum it up I agree the FO puts talent on the field but that talent is overrated, heartless, and care more about self promotion than winning. Then our coaches can’t coach as well as the big daddies in the league. It’s a destructive cycle that needs to change.
Seems to me that they built a defense with ballhawking corners and edge rushers that can dominate a team if they have a big lead.

If the offense can’t pull that off, different ballgame.

Probably why Mike took the ball when winning the toss more often than typically recommended.

FanofJerry

Reaction score

Your last paragraph is what I have issues with. It leaves the door open to blame something even if everything player/coaching wise is good.

There has to be blame. Blame turns to hate. If you could turn back time and have Brady and Mahommes play each other in their primes and one QB lost to the other every time...does that mean you are hating and kicking the losing QB to the curb? Some on this board will sell off Michael Jordan if the team isnt winning...just to do something different. I just think there are too many variables in sports to pin losing on one player in team sports.

Brady would all of the sudden be overrated, heartless or caring about something else too much?

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
In this modern day era, a competent GM has to use all avenues in acquiring talent....from the draft, to FA, to trades, to UDFA. But you have to know the type of player you want to get to fit your system. Ay, there's the rub.....Dallas does not know what kind of system they are...a strong HC can dictate what he is gonna run offensively and what he wants defensively. Unfortunately, you got a lame duck everywhere on the coaching staff and among most of the players. This is a recipe for ongoing disaster and a failure by the FO....epic failure. The only constant is the demonic duo in control of this circus.

These two have literally wasted almost 30 years acting like they know what they're doing and got nothing to show for it. Two freaking WC wins? Are you serious....? SMDH..... :thumbdown:

Big_D

Reaction score
It's the quarterback. Does anybody remember what kind of team Cincy was before getting Burrow?

Ask Bengals ex-coach Marvin Lewis and his inability to get a single playoff win in 15 straight years

It's a lot of things. The D line is one of them, the running game is another, throw in the LBs when LVE is the best you got for years, that's a serious problem. Then they draft a backup TE in RD2? Needs all over the place and a blocking TE is the route? lol Now that's something that can be filled by a vet at a quality price in FA. You don't burn a 2nd round pick on it. And there's loads of poor decisions just like that.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

I don’t think McCarthy has been the problem.

Nothing like Garrett who was probably the worst coach in football.

If anything McCarthy is a top 15 coach.

I do however think he or Dak should’ve been let go after the Green Bay debacle. You can’t do what we have done which is carry one with business as usual.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In this modern day era, a competent GM has to use all avenues in acquiring talent....from the draft, to FA, to trades, to UDFA. But you have to know the type of player you want to get to fit your system. Ay, there's the rub.....Dallas does not know what kind of system they are...a strong HC can dictate what he is gonna run offensively and what he wants defensively. Unfortunately, you got a lame duck everywhere on the coaching staff and among most of the players. This is a recipe for ongoing disaster and a failure by the FO....epic failure. The only constant is the demonic duo in control of this circus.

These two have literally wasted almost 30 years acting like they know what they're doing and got nothing to show for it. Two freaking WC wins? Are you serious....? SMDH..... :thumbdown:
Excellent post. The quote below is spot on:
But you have to know the type of player you want to get to fit your system. Ay, there's the rub.....Dallas does not know what kind of system they are

rambo2

Reaction score
Most Cowboys fans could probably agree on one thing these days: This has not been a great off-season so far. Yes, we still have the draft and some minor FA moves ahead, but the early report card grade on the Cowboys would have to be an F if we’re being honest. If we’re generous we could possibly say it’s an “I” for incomplete.

Although none of us know for sure, it appears the front office is once again using the roster building philosophy known as “Draft and Develop”. This is a model we started using in the Garrett era. It centers on teams being stingy in FA and put almost all of their emphasis on the draft, expecting the players drafted in the first 3 rounds to have immediate impact and later to develop the other players for depth and STs. It’s not a completely crazy model.

But the best NFL GMs would consider the “Draft and Develop” model only partially effective and a bit outdated. The more modern cap era approach is to build a better roster through 3 ways:
  1. Acquire a few impactful starters in FA and/or in a trade. Target guys that will have immediate impact and not guys that are over the hill. A one or two year deal is ideal because this is about winning now- this year.
  2. A strong draft with at least 1-2 starters and at least 2 decent depth and STs players.
  3. Quality cap management. Making sure the long term guys you have committed to have good amount of flexibility in the terms of the contract. (Unlike what the team did with Dak’s deal in 2021, where all the advantages were given to Dak) And also not being afraid to admit a mistake and moving on from a guy you made a mistake with.
So how have the Cowboys done using the “Draft and Develop“ model since 2011 when Garrett took over? (2011 was when the D&D model was started here- a total of 13 seasons)
  • The Cowboys regular season record since 2011 is 123-88. That’s pretty good over 13 seasons. (that’s 58% winning%)
  • BUT…The Cowboys have made the playoffs 6 times in the last 13 seasons. That’s 46% of the time we have made the playoffs.
  • The Cowboys have only won 3 wild card playoff games in the six times they have made the playoffs since 2011.
That last bullet is the one that is the most frustrating. In essence, the “Draft and Develop” model we are seemingly following again this off-season has given 3 wild card wins in 13 years. The regular season wins are only as good as the playoff wins that follow.

The most frustrating thing to me in all this is watching this FO do the same roster building philosophy again that has yielded us 3 wild card wins in 13 years. Why would anyone expect the 14th time we do this strategy this year to somehow be the magic bullet?
This is a key year on the evaluation. It will be interesting how it turns out. They need good results from last year's rookie class and they need some big hits in this year's draft. This draft is going to be very interesting. Can you imagine if Byron Murphy and Brian Thomas are available at 24? How about if Jackson Powers-Johnson and Barton are there as well? How about they take Payton Wilson? There are so many ways that they can go.

Then you go to the 2nd round, will they take Benson or Brooks or wait to the 3rd round to get their running back? Do they take Corley over Benson or Brooks. Do they get a center in the 2nd? So many ways to go.

Another thing is that they will sign some key undrafted players as well. They will spend it that regard like the did last year with Aubrey, Bass, Luepke, and Stephens.

75boyz

Reaction score

Nice post.
The only thing I disagree with is the current coaching performance. Undermining is a part of the job. McFraud knew that from day one. He's won a SB and ain't coach in training Garrett we're talking about here.

Honestly. I just think McFraud sucks at playoff football as the Cowboys HC.

jmo

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
This team has had talented players, just not where needed. In the middle of the trenches. That’s why the D breaks down in the playoffs so often (like every time).

And no big guys in the middle of the OL since they lost Frederick, and the RT is worse than a turnstile because a turnstile will at least slow you down.

With big, smart guys in the middle you can control TOP and keep the ball out of the other team’s hands and wear their D down.

It’s what this team did in the 90’s, it’s like the last thing they want to do is follow a winning recipe. Maybe that’s because it was Jimmy’s recipe?

plymkr

Reaction score
Your last paragraph is what I have issues with. It leaves the door open to blame something even if everything player/coaching wise is good.

There has to be blame. Blame turns to hate. If you could turn back time and have Brady and Mahommes play each other in their primes and one QB lost to the other every time...does that mean you are hating and kicking the losing QB to the curb? Some on this board will sell off Michael Jordan if the team isnt winning...just to do something different. I just think there are too many variables in sports to pin losing on one player in team sports.

Brady would all of the sudden be overrated, heartless or caring about something else too much?
Where did I mention anything about a QB?

plymkr

Reaction score
Nice post.
The only thing I disagree with is the current coaching performance. Undermining is a part of the job. McFraud knew that from day one. He's won a SB and ain't coach in training Garrett we're talking about here.

Honestly. I just think McFraud sucks at playoff football as the Cowboys HC.

jmo
I agree with this. I think Aaron Rodgers bailed him out quite a few times. What I don’t understand, and this was the main point of my post, is how does a coach do well in the regular season then forget how to coach in the playoffs? Do the Xs and Os change? No. I think coaches can choke the same way players can. So I feel the big problem in Dallas is we overvalue our own talent and we have chokers in players and coaches. Because I can’t make any sense out of playing and coaching well in the regular season then bombing in the post season. It doesn’t make sense unless we as an organization just choke in the playoffs.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Bob, you’ve really become one of the best posters in this forum.

Well done and presented . You must spend quite a bit of time researching your subject and laying out your OP. Impressive !!