CFZ Roster Surprises and Unexpected Cuts from Final 53-man Roster

Pass2Run

Reaction score
It's getting close to that time where people predict the 53. I have no idea at this point of the year. But it should be as interesting, if not more, than years in the past as far as who makes the roster and who doesn't. We have several players who are on the bubble, I think. And several UDFAs and draft picks who may steal spots and maybe even playing time.

I'm only going out on a limb on one player, because I believe that much in his game and attitude as a player: Jalen Moreno-Cropper. I think he makes the team, possibly filling in some as a returner and obviously 4th or 5th WR.

There's also Hunter Luepke, who I think has a real shot at not only making the team, but also carving out a role year 1.

Noah Fant is also interesting. I could see him also finding a role and pushing someone like McKeon off the roster. Players like Fant and Luepke would give us more weapons on offense than someone like McKeon, who hasn't really produced much in the passing game. Both of those guys can run, play TE, and a little WR whether in the slot or backfield.
On defense, I like Isiah Land, for obvious reasons. But it'll also be interesting to see what the other defensive prospects do.

There's also another guy, Dontario Drummond, who the Cowboys hung on to from last year. He had an interesting career at Mississippi.

Although kickers are the most boring to talk about, I'm hoping they figure that out and find someone other than Maher. I still don't trust he wasn't gambling last year. But that's just me.

What's your guess at the 53-man roster?

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Some interesting names in the OP. Will be fun seeing them in camp/pre-season! Most of those will have a hard time cracking the roster.

Moreno-Cropper is a player I want to watch, but he's slightly undersized and has a lot of competition. 14 WR's on the roster right now.

Fant looks like an athletic playmaker. He also seems too small to be a true TE. There is a limit to the number of hybrid/specialty players the team can keep, but I do wonder if Fant gives you more than the 6th WR? Could he play WR in a pinch? No way he makes the final roster as a pure TE. Special teams?

Luepke intrigues me the most. He could potentially do many things, and give the team several plays a game. It's going to be a tough numbers game for him too. Drafted Deuce is a specialty back IMO, and with Pollard coming off injury, the team might want to keep more than one every down back besides Pollard. That makes it tough for Luepke to crack the final roster. I'll admit he's an early pet cat of mine.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Cropper needs to have a breakout game similar to Donovan Wilson in preseason. If not he prob won't make it. The talent is there, just a matter of how he processes the nfl game

ghst187

Reaction score
I think Semi is a surprise cut as will be a few others as I think we pick up another player or two from another team before week 1.
Also wouldn’t surprise me if Joseph has a terrible preseason and gets axed.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think Semi is a surprise cut as will be a few others as I think we pick up another player or two from another team before week 1.
Wouldn’t surprise me if he gets cut he’s done nothing. He has 3 catches for 24 yards in two seasons.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Some interesting names in the OP. Will be fun seeing them in camp/pre-season! Most of those will have a hard time cracking the roster.

Moreno-Cropper is a player I want to watch, but he's slightly undersized and has a lot of competition. 14 WR's on the roster right now.

Fant looks like an athletic playmaker. He also seems too small to be a true TE. There is a limit to the number of hybrid/specialty players the team can keep, but I do wonder if Fant gives you more than the 6th WR? Could he play WR in a pinch? No way he makes the final roster as a pure TE. Special teams?

Luepke intrigues me the most. He could potentially do many things, and give the team several plays a game. It's going to be a tough numbers game for him too. Drafted Deuce is a specialty back IMO, and with Pollard coming off injury, the team might want to keep more than one every down back besides Pollard. That makes it tough for Luepke to crack the final roster. I'll admit he's an early pet cat of mine.
I see Fant as a HB/FB type who can also play TE and perhaps some WR. Some have said that's a crazy idea. But in the right system, I don't think it is. You won't see him lining up outside much, if at all. But if we need a guy to replace Noah Brown, as a blocker, and then someone who can run and play TE, I think he's an interesting prospect. I hate using this word, but he does have so-called NFL pedigree.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think Turpin gets the ax. Like him as a return guy but the league phase out on returns makes him less valuable
Punt returns still have value, and that's what he excels at. Don't see him going anywhere. I see him, Cooks, Lamb, Gallup and Tolbert as the ones making the roster for sure. That's five, and we'll probably keep one more. It could be Cropper, Durden, Houston, Tyron Johnson, Fehoko, Brooks, Stephens Jr. or maybe one of the others or we just go with five and go longer at another position. If we keep a sixth, my bet is Houston. He showed some skills and has had a year of development, while players like Cropper, Durden, Brooks and Stephens Jr. might need a year of development on the practice squad before they are ready.

gimmesix

Reaction score
It's getting close to that time where people predict the 53. I have no idea at this point of the year. But it should be as interesting, if not more, than years in the past as far as who makes the roster and who doesn't. We have several players who are on the bubble, I think. And several UDFAs and draft picks who may steal spots and maybe even playing time.

I'm only going out on a limb on one player, because I believe that much in his game and attitude as a player: Jalen Moreno-Cropper. I think he makes the team, possibly filling in some as a returner and obviously 4th or 5th WR.

There's also Hunter Luepke, who I think has a real shot at not only making the team, but also carving out a role year 1.

Noah Fant is also interesting. I could see him also finding a role and pushing someone like McKeon off the roster. Players like Fant and Luepke would give us more weapons on offense than someone like McKeon, who hasn't really produced much in the passing game. Both of those guys can run, play TE, and a little WR whether in the slot or backfield.
On defense, I like Isiah Land, for obvious reasons. But it'll also be interesting to see what the other defensive prospects do.

There's also another guy, Dontario Drummond, who the Cowboys hung on to from last year. He had an interesting career at Mississippi.

Although kickers are the most boring to talk about, I'm hoping they figure that out and find someone other than Maher. I still don't trust he wasn't gambling last year. But that's just me.

What's your guess at the 53-man roster?
QB (2) Prescott and Rush
RB (3) Pollard, Jones II, Vaughn (might be Davis over Jones)
FB (1) Luepke
TE (3) Ferguson, Schoonmaker, Hendershot
WR (6) Lamb, Cooks, Gallup, Tolbert, Turpin, Houston
OL (9) Tyron, Tyler, Biadasz, Martin, Steele, Waletzko, Farniok, Edoga, Richards (might be Bass over Edoga)

That's 24 on offense

DE (5) Lawrence, Williams, Fowler, Armstrong, Fehoko
DT (4) Smith, Hankins, Odighizuwa, Golston (Fehoko may play base end and 3-tech pass rusher)
LB (5) Parsons, LVE, Clark, Cox, Overshown, Land (Land and Parsons can line up at DE as pass rushers)
CB (7) Diggs, Gilmore, Bland, Lewis, Joseph, Scott, Goodwin
S (5) Kearse, Wilson, Hooker, Mukuamu, Bell

That's 26 on defense

LS Sieg
P Anger
K Aubrey

PS (16 players)
QB Grier
RB Davis
FB/TE Fant
C Lindstrom
G Bass
T Bostick
WR J. Brooks
WR Durden
WR Moreno-Cropper
WR Stephens Jr.
CB M. Brooks
S Coyle
DE D. Johnson
DE Wheat
DT Alarcon
LB Harper

quickccc

Reaction score
I’ll be patient and make my 53 roster later on.

- But I do know it’s the unheralded guys that I plan to get a long look at – and the existing developmental players, (ala Clark, Cox, Tolbert, Feheko and new comer rookies such as Massi, Deuce, Richards, Eric Scott, Overshown ,Luke Schoon, and Isiah Land, as wel las TJ Bass.

- Now if rookie Cropper somehow outshines Tolbert …. He has the 4.4 speed that a Houston, Drummond does not. But we’ll see how he handles the NFL on the fly.

- Sorry but I cannot get excited about Dennis Houston, Brandon Smith, and Drummond. I got the feeling that these are topped out guys

- I need Simi to show he is more player than athletic project, and Tolbert needs to show he has a knack for the NFL pass game and WR role at the NFL level, .and play with authority and competitive nature. I need to hear reports camp that he’s flat day and night difference than his wasted rookie year in ’22.

- I need to see Simi prove he can fluidly break in and out of his cuts, I get concerned that he is not the smoothest,
most fluid guy. Too much stiff and str8- line.

- With the young LBs, it’s about camp practice and tons of reps and that’s clark, overshown and Cox. What we get from Harper and Land is a luxury.

- I’ve long expressed what I want and expect from Hunter this summer “ first off” . Either he’ll be underrated or overhyped. If he is in consideration for the 53 roster, it will be more at Malik Davis’ expense., rather than 4th TE Sean McKeon who was a nice effective “blocker’ at either in-line or as HB backfield lead.

quickccc

Reaction score
QB (2) Prescott and Rush
FB (1) Luepke
OL (9) Tyron, Tyler, Biadasz, Martin, Steele, Waletzko, Farniok, Edoga, Richards (might be Bass over Edoga)

That's 24 on offense

DT (4) Smith, Hankins, Odighizuwa, Golston (Fehoko may play base end and 3-tech pass rusher)
LB (5) Parsons, LVE, Clark, Cox, Overshown, Land (Land and Parsons can line up at DE as pass rushers)

That's 26 on defense

LS Sieg
P Anger
K Aubrey

PS (16 players)
QB Grier
RB Davis
FB/TE Fant
C Lindstrom
G Bass
T Bostick
WR J. Brooks
WR Durden
WR Moreno-Cropper
WR Stephens Jr.
CB M. Brooks
S Coyle
DE D. Johnson
DE Wheat
DT Alarcon
LB Harper
Great roster number count and player prediction, but i'm trying to figure out why you have 6 player names at LB, but
your roster count is 5 .....?

The TE number aside, and the LB count confusion, i can agree with your overall 53 roster.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
QB (2) Prescott and Rush
FB (1) Luepke

That's 24 on offense

That's 26 on defense

LS Sieg
P Anger
K Aubrey

PS (16 players)
QB Grier
RB Davis
FB/TE Fant
C Lindstrom
G Bass
T Bostick
WR J. Brooks
WR Durden
WR Moreno-Cropper
WR Stephens Jr.
CB M. Brooks
S Coyle
DE D. Johnson
DE Wheat
DT Alarcon
LB Harper
That's a really good shot at it given what we know now.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Great roster number count and player prediction, but i'm trying to figure out why you have 6 player names at LB, but
your roster count is 5 .....?

The TE number aside, and the LB count confusion, i can agree with your overall 53 roster.
Oops, guess I have to put Land on the PS. Don't know if Quinn will be willing to let that happen. Frankly, I'd cut Goodwin because he adds nothing at corner, but they love keeping him as a special-teammer. He's also good for cutting and bringing back when we have to get someone to IR to start the season. ... So, Goodwin's cut, then when one of my other 53 gets put on IR, we bring him back. :)

It wouldn't surprise me with the new vet rules for practice squads if we even started Goodwin out there and brought him up for games for the first three weeks.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

I could see that, but it'll depend on how much weight Bones has when it comes to wanting him on ST. I think he's probably a cut though in all likelihood.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think Turpin gets the ax. Like him as a return guy but the league phase out on returns makes him less valuable
I bet Turpin stays and they use him a little more in the regular offense.

Carson

Reaction score
I’ll be patient and make my 53 roster later on.

- But I do know it’s the unheralded guys that I plan to get a long look at – and the existing developmental players, (ala Clark, Cox, Tolbert, Feheko and new comer rookies such as Massi, Deuce, Richards, Eric Scott, Overshown ,Luke Schoon, and Isiah Land, as wel las TJ Bass.

- Now if rookie Cropper somehow outshines Tolbert …. He has the 4.4 speed that a Houston, Drummond does not. But we’ll see how he handles the NFL on the fly.

- Sorry but I cannot get excited about Dennis Houston, Brandon Smith, and Drummond. I got the feeling that these are topped out guys

- I need Simi to show he is more player than athletic project, and Tolbert needs to show he has a knack for the NFL pass game and WR role at the NFL level, .and play with authority and competitive nature. I need to hear reports camp that he’s flat day and night difference than his wasted rookie year in ’22.

- I need to see Simi prove he can fluidly break in and out of his cuts, I get concerned that he is not the smoothest,
most fluid guy. Too much stiff and str8- line.

- With the young LBs, it’s about camp practice and tons of reps and that’s clark, overshown and Cox. What we get from Harper and Land is a luxury.

- I’ve long expressed what I want and expect from Hunter this summer “ first off” . Either he’ll be underrated or overhyped. If he is in consideration for the 53 roster, it will be more at Malik Davis’ expense., rather than 4th TE Sean McKeon who was a nice effective “blocker’ at either in-line or as HB backfield lead.
Small correction as Brandon Smith is now in Arizona

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I think you are right. I like the guy even. But he's too one-dimensional and too tiny to play on offense.

That last play was the brutal truth.

Also, Cropper can return.

Last edited: