Roundup: Foe Front -- Giants

Angus

Reaction score
Wednesday, June 28, 2006
Foe Front: N.Y. Giants

— vincent.sample @ 6:01 pm

What’s up fans, now that we have taken a position by position look and analysis of the Cowboys, I thought it was time to size up our NFC east competition in a slightly more condensed version. Last year the Giants were one of the two teams to make it to the playoffs from the division. And even though they lost 23-0 to a Carolina Panther team the Cowboys had just beaten, of our three division rivals, it seems to me the Giants will be the toughest and most well balanced foe for 2006. They finished fourth in the league in offense but twenty-fourth in defense that should be improved. Let’s take a look at their team:

Quarterback

The Giants boast one of the hottest young guns in the league, with the best pedigree of any QB around with father Archie and Brother Eli in the line. Last year he was fifth in the league in passing yards but twenty-third in passer rating. I think everyone has a notion that he will only get better. With another year under his belt and an added couple of weapons, you gotta think so. Manning is backed up by Tim Hasselbeck, who as had a stint with each of the teams of the East accept Dallas. He broke into the league with the Eagles as a rookie in 2003 and started 5 games for the Commanders ‘04. I really don’t think they, like most teams, will savior the idea of this guy if Manning goes down. But they also have 10 year vet Rob Johnson on the bench now and he has won a bit in the league.

In this category I give it a push. Manning is the younger guy, but Bledsoe has the experience and I think each will have excellent years.

Running Back

The Giants boast the second best runner in the league last year in Tiki Barber. He finished with over 1800 yards and a 5.2 yards per carry average. Barber has seemed to get better with age, and there is no reason to expect he will have any fall off in ’06. But no one can expect quite as good a year as ’05. After Barber the Giants are pretty thin. Only bruising-back Brandon Jacobs is there with any experience. Any injury to Barber and the Giants fans will be looking funny in the face.

Here is where objective Giant fans will think I should clearly give the edge to the Giants, and I do – but only slightly. While the Giant’s did finish sixth in the league in rushing, the Cowboys were not far behind at thirteen. And that was without T.O. as a threat and a terribly banged up OL. I expect Julius Jones and his backfield mates to give a fine account in ’06.

Receivers

As with the Cowboys, this is a Giant team strength. Holding down the wideout spots are Plaxico Burress, number two guy Amani Toomer, and what the Giants hope and drafted in the second round to be their team big play guy Sinorce Moss, brother of Commanders deep threat Santana Moss. But Sinorce was not Santana in college and he won’t be in the pros. It took Santana a bit of time to develop and he was bigger and stronger. Still Sinorce should provide a boost and a threat and should help out in the return game. Shockey and Witten are equals in almost every way. One may block a bit better and one may run a little better, but I leave that to the discerning eye to figure out which.

The clear advantage here is to the Cowboys. While Plaxico is an up-and-coming star, he is no T.O. Toomer has fallen off, and Terry Glenn seems on the cusp of another great season. Crayton and Moss are probably the third receivers with experience and hands going to Crayton and potential going to Moss. Tightend is a push.

O-Line

Simply starting from left to right: Adams beats out Petitgout as he does mostly for the Pro Bowl; I give the edge to left guard Diehl, over Kosier at this point - he has continuity on his side; At Center, O’Hara and Johnson or Gurode are a push. At right guard, Rivera should get the nod over Snee if he is health which by all accounts he seems to be; And at right tackle, McKenzie I will give the nod over Pettiti.

Again, the Giants have continuity. The whole, not the sum of the part is the key on the offensive line. I feel player for player the Cowboys, especially with their additions and an off season may be better, but consistency and having done it must count for something.

I think it is necessary to give the edge here to the Giants.

Kicking Game

Jay Feely is a good kicker, but Vanderjagt is the most accurate field goal kicker in the league. Cowboys.

Defensive Line / Line backers

Because the Cowboys play a 3-4 and the Giants a 4-3 I think for the purpose of the analysis I should take the entire front seven. The Cowboys ranked tenth last season in total defense and the Giants finished twenty-fourth. The Giants boast one of the top defensive end tandems in the league in Strahan and Umenyiora. Strahan seems to be timeless and rejuvenated with Umenyiroa on the other side and he shows no signs of slowing. And Umenyiroa looks to be the new young beast in the league. The weakness of the defense comes up the middle at the tackles. Joseph has been a bit of a disappointment and the Giants will have to audition his neighbor to his left. Now the Giants took a great step by adding long time Pro Bowler Lavar Arrington to that corp, and Antonio Pierce will again bring a presence to the middle so the Giants should be improved on defense as a whole. Arrington combined with the ends should put the Giant pass rush game to an all time high. But again, it is the middle that is suspect in a NFC East where that is not good.

The League is in for a terrible next few years having to compete with the best young up and coming defense in the league against the Cowboys. Now opposing QB’s will be frightened of the Giant rush. But until they get continuity in the defensive backfield there are ways to attack their front seven.

Defensive Backfield

The Giants, hopefully for them, took a big step forward at fixing their biggest problem in ’05 with the signing of three defensive backs – all veteran free agents. Corners Sam Madison and R.W McQuarters and free safety Will Demps. The Giants’ secondary was a weak spot last season due to injury and poor play. Starting corners Will Allen, who was allowed to go to Miami, and Will Peterson, who was waived when he failed yet another physical, will be replaced by Madison and second-year Corey Webster. Free safety Brent Alexander decided to retire; Demps will move in for him. This should make for and improved unit once they get into the groove. But none of the guys signed are primetime players. It is about an even swap Madison for Peterson. But McQuarters may be an upgrade in the Nickel. Demps is a swap for Alexander. A lot will depend on the development of Webster.

I think without a doubt the Boys get the nod in the secondary. The Giants seem to have done a quick fix on the secondary and are depending on Corey Webster to develop.

Overview

In my look at the Giants I did a position by position comparison of both teams. But the truth is offensive lines don’t play each other, and receiver corps don’t defend each other. This all comes down to offense vs. defense. The Giants had one of the most potent offenses in the league, and should have that again; they should only improve. They will be one of the toughest tests to what promises to be one of the leagues best defenses next year. The problem for the Giants will again come in their secondary. T.O. is a match-up that no corner relishes and the Giants really don’t have an answer. It will be incumbent on the Giant front seven to limit the time Bledsoe has to make his reads and who goes to the Super Bowl may depend on this match-up.

http://cowboys.mostvaluablenetwork.com/

SteveOS

Dedicated to Sports Gaming
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a repost. :bang2:

http://cowboys.mostvaluablenetwork.com/the-roundup/foe-front-ny-giants/

What’s up fans, now that we have taken a position by position look and analysis of the Cowboys, I though it was time to size up our NFC east competition in a slightly more condensed version. Last year the Giants were on of the two teams to make it to the playoffs from the division. And even though they lost 23-0 to a Carolina Panther team the Cowboys had just beaten, of our three division rivals, it seems to me the Giants will be the toughest and most well balanced foe for 2006. They finished fourth in the league in offense but twenty-fourth in defense that should be improved. Let’s take a look at their team:

Quarterback

The Giants boast one of the hottest young guns in the league, with the best pedigree of any QB around with father Archie and Brother Eli in the line. Last year he was fifth in the league in passing yards but twenty-third in passer rating. I think everyone has a notion that he will only get better. With another year under his belt and an added couple of weapons, you gotta think so. Manning is backed up by Tim Hasselbeck, who as had a stint with each of the teams of the East accept Dallas. He broke into the league with the Eagles as a rookie in 2003 and started 5 games for the Commanders ‘04. I really don’t think they, like most teams, will savior the idea of this guy if Manning goes down. But they also have 10 year vet Rob Johnson on the bench now and he as won a bit in the league.

In this category I give it a push. Manning is the younger guy, but Bledsoe has the experience and I think each will have excellent years.

Running Back

The Giants boast the second best runner in the league last year in Tiki Barber. He finished with over 1800 yards and a 5.2 yards per carry average. Barber has seemed to get better with age, and there is no reason to expect he will have any fall of in ’06. But no one can expect quite as good a year as ’05. After Barber the Giants are pretty thin. Only bruising-back Brandon Jacobs is there with any experience. Any injury to Barber and the Giants fans will be looking funny in the face.

Here is where objective Giant fans will think I should clearly give the edge to the Giants, and I do – but only slightly. While the Giant’s did finish sixth in the league in rushing, the Cowboys where not fare behind at thirteen. And that was without T.O. as a threat and a terribly banged up OL. I expect Julius Jones and his backfield mates to give a fine account in ’06.

Receivers

As with the Cowboys, this is a Giant team strength. Holding down the wideout spots are Plaxico Burress, number two guy Amani Toomer, and what the Giants hope and drafted in the second round to be their team big play guy Sinorce Moss, brother of Commanders deep threat Santana Moss. But Sinorce was not Santana in college and he won’t be in the pros. It took Santana a bit of time to develop and he was bigger and stronger. Still Sinorce should provide a boost and a threat and should help out in the return game. Shockey and Witten are equals in almost every way. One may block a bit better and one may run a little better, but I leave that to the discerning eye to figure out which.

The clear advantage here is to the Cowboys. While Plaxico is an up-and-coming star, he is no T.O. Toomer has fallen off, and Terry Glenn seems on the cusp of another great season. Crayton and Moss are probably the third receivers with experience and hands going to Crayton and potential going to Moss. Tightend is a push.

O-Line

Simply starting from left to right: Adams beats out Petitgout as he does mostly for the Pro Bowl; I give the edge to left guard Diehl, over Kosier at this point - he has continuity on his side; At Center, O’hara and Johnson or Gurode are a push. At right guard, Rivera should get the nod over Snee if he is health which by all accounts he seems to be; And at right tackle, McKenzie I will give the nod over Pettiti.

Again, the Giants have continuity. The whole, not the sum of the part is the key on the offensive line. I feel player for player the Cowboys, especially with their additions and an off season may be better, but consistence and having done it must count for something.

I think it is necessary to give the edge here to the Giants.

Kicking Game

Jay Feely is a good kicker, but Vanderjagt is the most accurate field goal kicker in the league. Cowboys.

Defensive Line / Line backers

Because the Cowboys play a 3-4 and the Giants a 4-3 I think for the purpose of the analysis I should take the entire front seven. The Cowboys ranked tenth last season in total defense and the Giants finished twenty-fourth. The Giants boast one of the top defensive end tandems in the league in Strahan and Umenyiora. Strahan seems to be timeless and rejuvenated with Umenyiroa on the other side and he shows no signs of slowing. And Umenyiroa looks to be the new young beast in the league. The weakness of the defense comes up the middle at the tackles. Joseph as been a bit of a disappointment and the Giants will have to audition his neighbor to his left. Now the Giants took a great step by adding long time Pro Bowler Lavar Arrington to that corp, and Antonio Pierce will again bring a presence to the middle so the Giants should be improved on defense as a whole. Arrington combined with the ends should put the Giant pass rush game to an all time high. But again, it is the middle that is suspect in a NFC East were that is not good.

The League is in for a terrible next few years having to compete with the best young up and coming defense in the league against the Cowboys. Now opposing QB’s will be frightened of the Giant rush. But until they get continuity in the defensive backfield there are ways to attack their front seven.

Defensive Backfield

The Giants, hopefully for them, took a big step forward at fixing their biggest problem in ’05 with the signing of three defensive backs – all veteran free agents. Corners Sam Madison and R.W McQuarters and free safety Will Demps. The Giants’ secondary was a weak spot last season due to injury and poor play. Starting corners Will Allen, who was allowed to go to Miami, and Will Peterson, who was waived when he failed yet another physical, will be replaced by Madison and second-year Corey Webster. Free safety Brent Alexander decided to retire; Demps will move in for him. This should make for and improved unit once they get into the grove. But none of the guys signed are primetime players. It is about and even swap Madison for Peterson. But McQuarters may be and upgrade in the Nickel. Demps is a swap for Alexander. A lot will depend on the development of Webster.

I think without a doubt the Boys get the nod in the secondary. The Giants seem to have done a quick fix on the secondary and are depending on Corey Webster to develop.

Overview

In my look at the Giants I did a position by position comparison of both teams. But the truth is offensive lines don’t play each other, and receiver corps don’t defend each other. This all comes down to offense vs. defense. The Giants had one of the most potent offenses in the league, and should have that again; they should only improve. They will be one of the toughest tests to what promises to be one of the leagues best defenses next year. The problem for the Giants will again come in their secondary. T.O. is a match-up that no corner relishes and the Giants really don’t have an answer. It will be incumbent on the Giant front seven to limit the time Bledsoe has to make his reads and who goes to the Super Bowl may depend on this match-up.