roy williams ineffective?

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
do you guys realize it seems like this defense is soo good roy doesn't even get a chance to tackle anybody lol. i mean i think he has like 4 tackles this whole preseason

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
As much as Roy likes to play up near the line of scrimmage, if we can stop the run with just our front 7 we're better off as a team having him play back. Its much more difficult for offenses. Roy got paid the big bucks to be a safety, not a linebacker.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Roy as pretty effective at absolutely blanketing Vernon Davis in Saturday's game.

cbont116

Reaction score
that's a good sign, since Davis runs a 4.3 40.. I guess Roy worked on his pass coverage skills in the offseason.. this defense is going to be one of the best in DC history

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
bigbadroy said:
do you guys realize it seems like this defense is soo good roy doesn't even get a chance to tackle anybody lol. i mean i think he has like 4 tackles this whole preseason

Roy is a great talent ...but it is impossible for him or anyone to be "uneffective (SIC)."

Please don't ask me why.:eek::

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I'll be thrilled if he has fewer tackles and more sacks...hopefully we can blitz him more often in passing situations.

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
bigbadroy said:

No way he's going to ever be uneffective! That's unpossible.

He'll be tackling the aides when he is old enough to be in a nursing home.

Roy Williams "Retirement Community Enforcer"

Roy: I see you Johnny! You just cheated at Bingo!

*boom*

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
Roy as pretty effective at absolutely blanketing Vernon Davis in Saturday's game.

I was really looking forward to that matchup and was pleased to see how well Roy did against Davis.

JPM

Reaction score
THUMPER said:
I was really looking forward to that matchup and was pleased to see how well Roy did against Davis.

Makes we wish I watched that game. Real happy Roy played Davis well.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:

I thought I was the only one who noticed

Vernon Davis and his sub 4.4 speed were blanketed downfield on at least a couple occassions my Mr "Cant Cover"

David

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Funxva said:
No way he's going to ever be uneffective! That's unpossible.

He'll be tackling the aides when he is old enough to be in a nursing home.

Roy Williams "Retirement Community Enforcer"

Roy: I see you Johnny! You just cheated at Bingo!

*boom*

U R quik!:D

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
bigbadroy said:

This only means that the Cowboys defense is on track and becoming a much better defense. No longer do we have to wait for one man to be dominating. It means everyone is playing a much bigger role in the defense as a whole.

Back when Roy was drafted, he was the focal point of a much maligne defense. Not the case anymore.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Roy is a special player...the less effective he "has to be", the more he will find a way to change games.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
baj1dallas said:
Roy is a special player...the less effective he "has to be", the more he will find a way to change games.
agreed.. and i hope that we just let him loose..

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
I was wondering where Roy had been too so far... then I realized that b/c of the vanilla defensive schemes, he hasn't really been put around the LOS.

Plus we have a rookie FS back there running around. I bet if we see Watkins continue to hold his own, Roy will be wreaking havoc by the time Week 2 rolls around. My mouth is salivating at what he could be used for if Watkins could be a player (and all indications are that he is).

bobtheflob

Reaction score
I'd be glad if we didn't need him much for run support. It's never a good sign when you depend heavily on your safety for that, even if it is Roy Williams. I do want to see him doing more blitzing though. Sending in either Ware or Ellis (or both) from the side and Roy in a delayed blitz down the middle would be pretty effective

Doomsday101

Reaction score
bigbadroy said:

I expect to see Roy laying out WR and QB's when the week 1 rolls around. Hopefully Watkins and Roy will combine to be like Cliff Harris and Charlie Waters. Harris was a guy who always looked to hammer people while Waters was more of a ball hawk. Together they made up a good safety combination

superpunk

Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
I was wondering where Roy had been too so far... then I realized that b/c of the vanilla defensive schemes, he hasn't really been put around the LOS.

When are we gonna get beat 41-0?

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
superpunk said:
When are we gonna get beat 41-0?

I see it coming tomorrow... BP has heard that Gibbs in his infinite genius is holding something back, trying to lull the rest of the league into a false sense of security, and BP thinks that's a good idea. As a result, expect our players on defense to lay down or randomly trip in pursuit of the ballcarrier. Also expect Matt Baker to start and play the whole game. I think that might get er done.;)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The fact that RLW has not put up big numbers in pre-season is not really all that big a deal to me. To be honest, I would not expect it. We have played base D pretty much the whole pre-season. For Roy to show up big, we would have to be using him in ways out of the ordinary. I do expect this to happen throughout the season but I don't expect us to show it in pre-season.