Roys game against Gmen

Hoov

Reaction score
I havent been on here to post, been to busy. But i knew after watching the game that there would be a bunch of posts/threads about Roy.

Shockey kept catching passes and it was clear Roy was lined up on him. Mostly it looked like man coverage or that Roy wasnt getting help with shockey, so i started to yell at the tv, why arnt they changing the defense.

Later, after victory was in hand i thought about it, and realized a few things.

The cowboys defense pretty much took the wr out of the game.

Shockey got open underneath Roy, but i dont recall him getting much YAC.

Looked like Roy was playing off a little except at goal line.

Perhaps the game plan was to roll coverage or double up to take wr out of game and Roy was charged with taking shockey and coached not to let him get the big play or break one. even though shockey had a lot of catches, most of them were routes run under roy and roy was there to make the tackle right away. (except that play before the half, but that was prolly a prevent defense).

Maybe the staff thought they would give up those shorter passes in order to take away the big pass play betting that by the 4th quarter they could wear down the giants.

I dont go back and rewatch the games, so this is my best guess, maybe this idea has already been thrown out there. Anyway, its just another perspective and it may or may not be right, but looking back to what i remember of the game, it seems like this could be an explanation.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
Hoov;1764699 said:
I havent been on here to post, been to busy. But i knew after watching the game that there would be a bunch of posts/threads about Roy.

Shockey kept catching passes and it was clear Roy was lined up on him. Mostly it looked like man coverage or that Roy wasnt getting help with shockey, so i started to yell at the tv, why arnt they changing the defense.

Later, after victory was in hand i thought about it, and realized a few things.

The cowboys defense pretty much took the wr out of the game.

Shockey got open underneath Roy, but i dont recall him getting much YAC.

Perhaps the game plan was to roll coverage or double up to take wr out of game and Roy was charged with taking shockey and coached not to let him get the big play or break one. even though shockey had a lot of catches, most of them were routes run under roy and roy was there to make the tackle right away. (except that play before the half, but that was prolly a prevent defense).

Maybe the staff thought they would give up those shorter passes in order to take away the big pass play betting that by the 4th quarter they could wear down the giants.

I dont go back and rewatch the games, so this is my best guess, maybe this idea has already been thrown out there. Anyway, its just another perspective and it may or may not be right, but looking back to what i remember of the game, it seems like this could be an explanation.

i thought roy played well sunday..first game i can remember in some time where he actually wrapped up on his tackles.i thought he actually had pretty damn good coverage on that first td to shockey.

Hoov

Reaction score
i think he did, but shockeys a big body, its easy for him to block the defender out and eli made a good throw. sometimes agood throw betas good coverage.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
lane;1764704 said:
i thought roy played well sunday..first game i can remember in some time where he actually wrapped up on his tackles.i thought he actually had pretty damn good coverage on that first td to shockey.

Yeah exactly, he was hitting and tackling well.

Sure he had catches against him but even on the TD, Aikman said it was pretty good coverage.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Hoov;1764699 said:
Yeah, he played extremely deep, giving him much of the underneath stuff.

That's pretty much exactly what Wade said in his press conference.

Wood

Reaction score
Wade said it was Dallas plan to take Plexico out of the game...but they could only do that by putting Roy on Shockey. There is no way Roy can cover Shockey...but as long as Roy kept Shockey in front of him...Dallas was ok with the intermediate stuff. With Washington....I think Dallas can go back to putting Reeves and Newmann man-to-man and let Hamlin cover Cooley and free Roy up to give run support and rush passer. Most experts are in agreement that the real only weakness on this team is the safeties....so expect Dallas to address that this offseason.

Hoov

Reaction score
Wood;1764731 said:
Wade said it was Dallas plan to take Plexico out of the game...but they could only do that by putting Roy on Shockey. There is no way Roy can cover Shockey...but as long as Roy kept Shockey in front of him...Dallas was ok with the intermediate stuff. With Washington....I think Dallas can go back to putting Reeves and Newmann man-to-man and let Hamlin cover Cooley and free Roy up to give run support and rush passer. Most experts are in agreement that the real only weakness on this team is the safeties....so expect Dallas to address that this offseason.
Its hard for anyone to cover shockey one on one, the man is a good player. Plus if you come inside and he gets by you and your other safety is rolled into coverage on the other side then its a TD. Shockey is hard to catch from behind, the safety is supposed to be the last line of defense, i dont think it would ever be a good idea for both safeties to be pressing up.