CFZ Rule Changes That Have Affected QB Passer Ratings

plasticman

Reaction score
Average passer ratings prior to 1980 - 72.7

Rules changes permitted a defender to maintain contact with a receiver within five yards of the line of scrimmage, but restricted contact beyond that point

NFL rules changes instructed officials to quickly whistle a play dead when a quarterback was clearly in the grasp of a tackler.

Rules changes placed greater restrictions on contact in the area of the head, neck, and face.

Under the heading of "personal foul," players were prohibited from directly striking, swinging, or clubbing on the head, neck, or face. Starting in 1980, a penalty could be called for such contact whether or not the initial contact was made below the neck area.

At the NFL annual meeting in Phoenix, Arizona, a 45-second clock was also approved to replace the 30-second clock. For a normal sequence of plays, the interval between plays was changed to 45 seconds from the time the ball is signaled dead until it is snapped on the succeeding play.

Average passer ratings 1980 to 1989 - 78.8

A receiver knocked out of bounds by a defensive player can now return to the field to make a play.
Quarterbacks may now receive communication from the bench via a small radio transmitter in their helmets.

The five-yard contact rule will be enforced more stringently.
Hits with the helmet or to the head by the defender will be flagged as personal fouls and subject to fines. This is being done to protect the offense, particularly the quarterback.

A defensive player can no longer flinch before the snap to draw movement from an offensive linemen.

Average passer ratings 1990 to 1999 - 80.3

Protecting the passer will be emphasized even more.

it is illegal to hit a quarterback helmet-to-helmet anytime after a change of possession;

Average passer ratings 2000 to 2009 - 85.6

Players will be prohibited from "launching" (leaving both feet prior to contact to spring forward and upward into an opponent or using any part of the helmet to initiate forcible contact against any part of the opponent’s body) to level a defenseless player, as well as "forcibly hitting the neck or head area with the helmet, facemask, forearm or shoulder regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him.", and lowering the head and make forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/"hairline" parts of the helmet against any part of the defenseless player’s body. Offenders will be penalised 15 yards for unnecessary roughness plus risking immediate disqualification if the contact is deemed flagrant.
A "defenseless player" is defined as a:

Player in the act of or just after throwing a pass.

Receiver attempting to catch a pass or one who has not completed a catch and hasn’t had time to protect himself or hasn’t clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player.

Average passer rating 2010 to present - 90.6

Last edited by a moderator:

AmericasTeam81

Reaction score
Weren’t there new pass blocking rules in 78/79 that aided as well? Offensive lineman could extend hands?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The rule changes have perfected QBs. You have some very average QBs that have higher career passer ratings and completion percentages than many Hall of Fame QBs. The passer ratings for most Hall of Fame QBs back in the day weren’t very good. QB completion percentages have gone way up. I can remember when many marveled at Ken Stabler’s 59.0 completion percentage. Roger Staubach‘s career completion percentage was only 57.0 and his career passer rating was only 83.4. He only had a couple of 3000 yard seasons, with 3586 being his career best. The rules have opened up the passing game and have made QBs much more efficient. The rule changes were designed to promote more scoring, which is why the NFL has become a pass happy, QB driven league.

plasticman

Reaction score
The rule changes have perfected QBs. You have some very average QBs that have higher career passer ratings and completion percentages than many Hall of Fame QBs. The passer ratings for most Hall of Fame QBs back in the day weren’t very good. QB completion percentages have gone way up. I can remember when many marveled at Ken Stabler’s 59.0 completion percentage. Roger Staubach‘s career completion percentage was only 57.0 and his career passer rating was only 83.4. The rules have opened up the passing game and have made QBs much more efficient. The rule changes were designed to promote more scoring, which is why the NFL has become a pass happy, QB driven league.
I am working on a way to equalize the passer ratings based on the decade in which the quarterback started his career.

I take the average passer ratings for QB's from 2010 to present and subtract each decades average passer rating to get a "handicap" number which I then add to each quarterback's ratign for those particular decades.

For example:

The average passer rating for QB's 2010 to present is 90.6.

The average for 1980 to 1989 is 78.8.

The difference is 90.6 - 78.8 = 11.8

I add the 11.8 to the passer ratings of each QB in the 1980's decade.

This "equalizes" the passer ratings so QB's can be compared across the decades because each QB gets additional points based on the decade of their careers.

This is based on all the QB's in NFL history with at least 2000 pass attempts. There are 164 QB's in total.

Now I can rank them based on this "adjusted" passer rating:

Top 50

1 Joe Montana
2 Steve Young
3 Aaron Rodgers
4 Peyton Manning
5 Patrick Mahomes
6 Otto Graham
7 Kurt Warner
8 Drew Brees
9 Tom Brady
10 Tony Romo
11 Roger Staubach
12 Len Dawson
13 Sonny Jurgensen
14 Philip Rivers
15 Russell Wilson
16 Ken Anderson
17 Bart Starr
18 Fran Tarkenton
19 Matt Ryan
20 Ben Roethlisberger
21 Dan Marino
22 Daunte Culpepper
23 Jeff Garcia
24 Kirk Cousins
25 Dak Prescott
26 Dan Fouts
27 Johnny Unitas
28 Rich Gannon
29 Brett Favre
30 Trent Green
31 Jim Kelly
32 Frank Ryan
33 Matthew Stafford
34 Donovan McNabb
35 Phil Simms
36 Bob Griese
37 Bert Jones
38 Chad Pennington
39 Joe Theismann
40 Neil Lomax
41 Matt Schaub
42 Mark Brunell
43 Danny White
44 Bernie Kosar
45 Troy Aikman
46 Dave Krieg
47 Randall Cunningham
48 Don Meredith
49 Steve McNair
50 Brian Griese

Obviously, this is not a perfect method but I think it is far more realistic and fairer than comparing them regardless of their time period and applicable rules.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I am working on a way to equalize the passer ratings based on the decade in which the quarterback started his career.

I take the average passer ratings for QB's from 2010 to present and subtract each decades average passer rating to get a "handicap" number which I then add to each quarterback's ratign for those particular decades.

For example:

This "equalizes" the passer ratings so QB's can be compared across the decades because each QB gets additional points based on the decade of their careers.

This is based on all the QB's in NFL history with at least 2000 pass attempts. There are 164 QB's in total.

Top 50

1 Joe Montana
2 Steve Young
3 Aaron Rodgers
4 Peyton Manning
5 Patrick Mahomes
6 Otto Graham
7 Kurt Warner
8 Drew Brees
9 Tom Brady
10 Tony Romo
11 Roger Staubach
12 Len Dawson
13 Sonny Jurgensen
14 Philip Rivers
15 Russell Wilson
16 Ken Anderson
17 Bart Starr
18 Fran Tarkenton
19 Matt Ryan
20 Ben Roethlisberger
21 Dan Marino
22 Daunte Culpepper
23 Jeff Garcia
24 Kirk Cousins
25 Dak Prescott
26 Dan Fouts
27 Johnny Unitas
28 Rich Gannon
29 Brett Favre
30 Trent Green
31 Jim Kelly
32 Frank Ryan
33 Matthew Stafford
34 Donovan McNabb
35 Phil Simms
36 Bob Griese
37 Bert Jones
38 Chad Pennington
39 Joe Theismann
40 Neil Lomax
41 Matt Schaub
42 Mark Brunell
43 Danny White
44 Bernie Kosar
45 Troy Aikman
46 Dave Krieg
47 Randall Cunningham
48 Don Meredith
49 Steve McNair
50 Brian Griese

Obviously, this is not a perfect method but I think it is far more realistic and fairer than comparing them regardless of their time period and applicable rules.
Yes, good stuff.

We've had a few threads here on normalizing passer ratings.
It has to be done to have real context when discussing current vs past (and I mean even just a few years ago) passer ratings.
They have been steadily rising almost every year

Your results are at least somewhat similar to most of the adjustments.
If you do year by year (instead of decade by decade) and use a rolling average you can pin it down even more.

pansophy

Reaction score
I did an analysis like this previously getting the z-score for each season. Similar list was generated.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Rules changes permitted a defender to maintain contact with a receiver within five yards of the line of scrimmage, but restricted contact beyond that point

NFL rules changes instructed officials to quickly whistle a play dead when a quarterback was clearly in the grasp of a tackler.

Rules changes placed greater restrictions on contact in the area of the head, neck, and face.

Under the heading of "personal foul," players were prohibited from directly striking, swinging, or clubbing on the head, neck, or face. Starting in 1980, a penalty could be called for such contact whether or not the initial contact was made below the neck area.

At the NFL annual meeting in Phoenix, Arizona, a 45-second clock was also approved to replace the 30-second clock. For a normal sequence of plays, the interval between plays was changed to 45 seconds from the time the ball is signaled dead until it is snapped on the succeeding play.

A receiver knocked out of bounds by a defensive player can now return to the field to make a play.
Quarterbacks may now receive communication from the bench via a small radio transmitter in their helmets.

Hits with the helmet or to the head by the defender will be flagged as personal fouls and subject to fines. This is being done to protect the offense, particularly the quarterback.

A defensive player can no longer flinch before the snap to draw movement from an offensive linemen.

it is illegal to hit a quarterback helmet-to-helmet anytime after a change of possession;

Players will be prohibited from "launching" (leaving both feet prior to contact to spring forward and upward into an opponent or using any part of the helmet to initiate forcible contact against any part of the opponent’s body) to level a defenseless player, as well as "forcibly hitting the neck or head area with the helmet, facemask, forearm or shoulder regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him.", and lowering the head and make forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/"hairline" parts of the helmet against any part of the defenseless player’s body. Offenders will be penalised 15 yards for unnecessary roughness plus risking immediate disqualification if the contact is deemed flagrant.

Receiver attempting to catch a pass or one who has not completed a catch and hasn’t had time to protect himself or hasn’t clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player.

Outstanding post PM. There are some QBs of the past who would be studs today because of how the game has changed.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Outstanding post PM. There are some QBs of the past who would be studs today because of how the game has changed.
Not to mention protecting the QB is such a priority now for everyone.

I guarnatee that if Brady had come into the league in 1970 he would have never have lasted that long. 10 years or so.

Techsass

Reaction score

For example:

Top 50

1 Joe Montana
2 Steve Young
3 Aaron Rodgers
4 Peyton Manning
5 Patrick Mahomes
6 Otto Graham
7 Kurt Warner
8 Drew Brees
9 Tom Brady
10 Tony Romo
11 Roger Staubach
12 Len Dawson
13 Sonny Jurgensen
14 Philip Rivers
15 Russell Wilson
16 Ken Anderson
17 Bart Starr
18 Fran Tarkenton
19 Matt Ryan
20 Ben Roethlisberger
21 Dan Marino
22 Daunte Culpepper
23 Jeff Garcia
24 Kirk Cousins
25 Dak Prescott
26 Dan Fouts
27 Johnny Unitas
28 Rich Gannon
29 Brett Favre
30 Trent Green
31 Jim Kelly
32 Frank Ryan
33 Matthew Stafford
34 Donovan McNabb
35 Phil Simms
36 Bob Griese
37 Bert Jones
38 Chad Pennington
39 Joe Theismann
40 Neil Lomax
41 Matt Schaub
42 Mark Brunell
43 Danny White
44 Bernie Kosar
45 Troy Aikman
46 Dave Krieg
47 Randall Cunningham
48 Don Meredith
49 Steve McNair
50 Brian Griese

Cool list. Can't say I remember watching all of them, but the only 2 QB'S that don't sound familiar to me are Frank Ryan & Bert Jones.

CCBoy

Reaction score

Statistics for Prescott​

Postseason​

Career662–413721663.41,5597.24611592.3251184.7174117710
GPGSRecordCmpAttPctYdsAvgLngTDIntRtgAttYdsAvgLngTDSckYdsFumLost
YearTeamGamesPassingRushingSacksFumbles
NFL career statistics
2016DAL110–1243863.23027.94031103.22136.59021100
2018DAL221–1426564.64927.6442191.38324.016221800
2021DAL110–1234353.52545.9381169.34276.817154010
2022DAL221–1487068.65117.34652101.611464.21112800

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dak_Prescott

Prescott Passer ratings:

2016 - 104.9
2017 - 86.6
2018 - 96.9
2019 - 99.7
2020 - 99.6
2021 - 104.2
2022 - 91.1

Ave - 97.8

Postseason - 92.3

CCBoy

Reaction score
From the above listing...

Dan Marino 21
Tony Romo 25

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I agree with a lot of the thought that today's QB ratings are inflated from the past.

That said, today's QB's really are better. Going back decades, most teams at lower levels ran almost exclusively run based offenses. Think wishbone. Passing was just a distraction. Beyond that, anyone who showed some amount of athleticism was bounced to a different position. Lastly, baseball was simply much more popular than it has been and people that could throw were pushed to be pitchers. A year ago, the world series teams had zero african americans. That's not true for football.

IMO, between allowing more athletic players play QB, getting more throwers in the sport and starting passing games much earlier, today's QB's really are better.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1983/passing.htm

I'm sure that guys like Montana and Marino would light things up today but OTOH, guys like Bill Kenney and Cliff Stoudt would have been Cooper Rush type backups in today's league, not full starters.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I agree with a lot of the thought that today's QB ratings are inflated from the past.

That said, today's QB's really are better. Going back decades, most teams at lower levels ran almost exclusively run based offenses. Think wishbone. Passing was just a distraction. Beyond that, anyone who showed some amount of athleticism was bounced to a different position. Lastly, baseball was simply much more popular than it has been and people that could throw were pushed to be pitchers. A year ago, the world series teams had zero african americans. That's not true for football.

IMO, between allowing more athletic players play QB, getting more throwers in the sport and starting passing games much earlier, today's QB's really are better.

I'm sure that guys like Montana and Marino would light things up today but OTOH, guys like Bill Kenney and Cliff Stoudt would have been Cooper Rush type backups in today's league, not full starters.
IT was a lot more BRUTAL back then as well. Sure todays athletes are much better but the game is frankly softer

Qcard

Reaction score

Great Post!!! :flagwave:

plasticman

Reaction score

A lot of today's quarterbacks couldn't play in the NFL during the 70's. They would get crushed.

There was no such thing as helmet to helmet, in the grasp, and you practically had to commit homicide in order to be flagged for roughing the passer. There weren't as many quarterbacks on injured lists but that is not to say there wasn't as many injuries. A lot of the quarterbacks played with knee braces, protective vests, etc.

Flamma

Reaction score
A rule change they need to make is to disallow gloves. I loved it when we had a lot of fumbles. These gloves now are tacky and allow for catching and holding on to the ball much better. I liked it the way it used to be. No more gloves for players. Catch the damn ball.

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
These rule changes leads me to believe, that changing the INT QB only stat rule. Isn't as absurd as some on here try to lead people to believe...

Especially since people have wanted it changed since the 70's.