Running on second down

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I noticed this trend during the game and wanted to see if anyone thought anything of it.

Julius Jones ran 6 times for a total of 3 yards on second downs.

His carry-by-carry breakdown was as follows:

0, 3, 2, -1, 1, -2.

That's unofficial, as it's possible I missed something.

This isn't an anti-Julius post at all, rather more of a concern with play-calling trends.

Julius was highly successful on first downs, including runs of 23, 17, 8, 5, etc. But it seemed like whenever we'd follow up a good first-down run with another run on second down, disaster was looming.

I haven't looked at Bledsoe's passing stats on second down for a comparison, though I know his first-half interception came on second down. Perhaps it was just a difficult down for us all around lol?

joseephuss

Reaction score
Dale said:
I noticed this trend during the game and wanted to see if anyone thought anything of it.

Julius Jones ran 6 times for a total of 3 yards on second downs.

His carry-by-carry breakdown was as follows:

0, 3, 2, -1, 1, -2.

That's unofficial, as it's possible I missed something.

This isn't an anti-Julius post at all, rather more of a concern with play-calling trends.

Julius was highly successful on first downs, including runs of 23, 17, 8, 5, etc. But it seemed like whenever we'd follow up a good first-down run with another run on second down, disaster was looming.

I haven't looked at Bledsoe's passing stats on second down for a comparison, though I know his first-half interception came on second down. Perhaps it was just a difficult down for us all around lol?

Don't be a JuJo hater. :p:

I would like to see a play action pass every now and then on some of those second downs.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
You know, my sense is that whenever JJ has a good run, he follows that up by getting stuffed. I blame the OL though.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
abersonc said:
You know, my sense is that whenever JJ has a good run, he follows that up by getting stuffed. I blame the OL though.

Yeah, I'm definitely not trying to blame Julius here. Just thought it was an interesting trend, even though I think Julius is the least to blame in this case.

He had a marvelous game in my mind. Didn't break the 100-yard mark, but didn't carry that many times. He did the most with his carries.

burmafrd

Reaction score
After a good run, the D is pissed and says not again and then we run again and they get what they want. Our O line is not good enough to make a hole when the other team is expecting us to run.

Melkor

Reaction score
Yes, I noticed that aswell. Think its bad play calling. Seemed like it was always after a good first down play and second and short, everyone new that a run was coming. Would love to see the play action on 2nd and short instead of using it on 3rd and long.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Dale said:
Yeah, I'm definitely not trying to blame Julius here. Just thought it was an interesting trend, even though I think Julius is the least to blame in this case.

He had a marvelous game in my mind. Didn't break the 100-yard mark, but didn't carry that many times. He did the most with his carries.

he basically outrushed Fred Taylor, higher ypc, longest run, both had 1 TD each

Tripod

Reaction score
Parcells teams always run on 2nd down with 6 or less yards to go.

I know that, ya think Jack Del Rio did?

Carl

Reaction score
It speaks more to the fact that we expect our QB to throw on 3rd down repeatedly.

A little variety would be nice!

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
It wasnt THAT we ran, it was the TYPE of runs. We ran it into the teeth of the best pair of tackles in football ALL DAY. We did not run a single sweep all freakin day. Isnt that why we got Kosier, so we could run stretch plays to the outisde? I just dont get it.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
We ran the ball straight up the gut every time we were in 2nd and short, every friggin time!

joseephuss

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
It wasnt THAT we ran, it was the TYPE of runs. We ran it into the teeth of the best pair of tackles in football ALL DAY. We did not run a single sweep all freakin day. Isnt that why we got Kosier, so we could run stretch plays to the outisde? I just dont get it.

They ran that one stretch play to the left side that Julius got a big gain. It was the play where the Jags strong safety face masked him, but it was not called. I agree, they didn't try those outside runs enough in this game.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HeavyHitta31 said:
It wasnt THAT we ran, it was the TYPE of runs. We ran it into the teeth of the best pair of tackles in football ALL DAY.
Sure seemed like it.

joseephuss

Reaction score
THUMPER said:
We ran the ball straight up the gut every time we were in 2nd and short, every friggin time!

And you could sit there and predict what they were going to do each time. I know I did.

joe_cowboy

Reaction score
Geez, the play calling seemed worse than last year! Anybody can predict their game plan. And it wasn't like they don't have the plays, as they ran them once, they worked, so they decided not to run the same play again. (I play Madden, and if you run the same plays over and over, the other team stops you. And if it's in the game...)

Not that they couldn't have won the game with the bad play calling if it weren't for the horrific passing of Bledso.

I thought the tide turned in the game when he missed Witten in the flat when he wasn't pressured and Witten was opened.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
well BP said we'd be running 25 less plays today than we did last year, that could explain the inumerable 2nd down runs