Rusty's Scouting Report on the NJ Generals vs Michigan Panthers USFL game

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
As some of you may know, I reside in the Cleveland area. This means I don't live horribly far from Canton. This gives me access to watch USFL games when they're here in Ohio, which I've done on a few occasions this year. Early in May, I saw the tail end of the New Orleans Breakers vs New Jersey Generals game and the entirety of the Birmingham Stallions vs Pittsburgh Maulers game. I also saw the Michigan Panthers vs New Jersey Generals (should note that I received autographs on a cap that they gave us to start the game from the long snapper Griffin and the DE Ethan Armstrong from the Michigan Panthers) game on Sunday. I meant to do this on Monday, but I sort of forgot until now, so here it is. Michigan won the game 25-22.

The QBs: the QBs from the game were Jordan Love (Michigan), Kyle Lauletta (NJ Generals), and DeAndre Johnson (NJ Generals). Lauletta was awful until the second half. Johnson was good until he got hurt trying to slide after running with the ball. Love was solid in the second half. The closest of the QBs to anyone I felt that could make the Cowboys roster was Johnson before his injury.

RB: to simplify, the best was easily Darius Victor from the New Jersey Generals. I saw him score a beautiful TD late in the game against New Orleans Breakers. Additionally, he looked solid against the Panthers. I think he should get a training camp invite. I would be interested in watching him compete for a roster spot. Although, Corbin of Michigan was decent too. However, I preferred what I saw with Victor.

WRs and TEs didn't have much to mention.

Oline: I know Isaiah Battle is 30, but he looked solid. He kept the QB relatively clean. Could be a good TC invite.

Dline: Eric Armstrong (Michigan) was solid as a run stopper. Hercules Mata'afa from New Jersey was a solid player. Wow, he had some serious pass rush moves. Unfortunately for them, we are loaded at Dline, so no need for either at this time. The best case scenario would be that we could do is sign them knowing they'd only be getting cut after TC and likely would be going to another team anyway.
LB: Paddy Fisher was the only one that stood out to me on either team. He was around the ball every time, and he (along with Armstrong) was part of the reason that Lauletta looked as bad as he did. Could be a good TC invite.
DBs: there were no interceptions. However, Paris Ford (ironically, he was a pet cat of mine in the draft in 2021, but he was waived in TC by the Rams) of New Jersey stood out to me. He has good technique, and he looked like a solid strong safety. He was around the ball a lot during the game, and I thought he looked decent. However, we are solid at DB, so I don't think he gets a camp invite.
special teams: New Jersey stood out here to me. Punter Brock Miller was outstanding! He had a punt that went, I think the PA announcer said, 79 yards. He absolutely crushed the punt, and he had several other beautiful punts. Kicker Nick Sciba is solid, and he's apparently been solid all season. I think he's someone the Cowboys should bring to TC to compete for kicker. His field goals looked good, and he made his extra points (which can't be said for the Michigan kicker). I really liked watching New Jersey's special teams.

The big reason New Jersey lost was penalties. They committed, I think it was, 8 penalties, with a few drive killers. Their first drive should really have resulted in a TD with how well they were moving the ball. Especially with how well Victor was running the ball. However, they got called for a brain dead delay of game that killed that drive which ended up resulting in a field goal. It wasn't the best show on O, other than Victor, until about halftime with the score being 6-3 Michigan. However, once the second half started, the points started to come.

Imo, the players from this game that I think the Cowboys should invite to TC were the following: Darius Victor, Isaiah Battle, Brock Miller, and Nick Sciba. I know we have an excellent punter, but I think Miller should be at least a camp leg so that the coaches can see for themselves what he can do. Victor was a standout performer imo, and he's been consistent from what I've seen. Battle was was solid, and we could use the depth. Plus, I think he can push Josh Ball. Sciba was outstanding. Plus, (https://www.footballdb.com/players/nick-sciba-scibani01), he's 8-8 and 12-12 on XPs this season. His long is 50 yards. I think he should have a training camp invite. I think he'd be interesting to watch in a kicking battle.

Hopefully, you all enjoy this scouting report. It was fun to watch.