Salary Cap Space remaining

PeeKZ_333

Reaction score
Now that Witten and Williams have been signed to extensions, how much cap space do we have remaining for any miscellaneous options that might pop up in the future?

sago1

Reaction score
I thought we were still $10M under the cap before we resigned Roy Williams to 4 year extension. Since his SB is about $11M, prorated over 4 years it's at least $2-3M this year, so I'd guess we still have around $8M left. I guess that's leaves enough for 1-2 minor contract adjustments plus enough left for emergency contingencies. Hopefully cap expert Adam will soon post correct numbers.

We can speculate on which players might get extensions/new contracts: Bradie James but he won't get anywhere near big bucks of W&W but also 03 draft picks Crayton & Reeves become RFA after this year & we might lock them up now; doubt Nate Jones has shown enough to warrant new contract. Also doubt Bledsoe gets new contract; he's in 2nd year of 3 year deal & he made $4/5M last year, partly cause of bonuses.

Al Singleton's in last year of 4 year deal but do Cowboys want keep him around longer given young players like Carpenter & Burnett who should fill that position soon. Our LBs now are: Ware/Ayodele/James/Singleton with Burnett/Boiman/Carpenter as backups--for now; Singleton does provide valuable experience--perhaps 1 year extension?

Colombo signed 2 year contract (at vet minimum) which ends after 06 season. Given his play so far Cowboys might want do something with him but frankly I'd hope we wait until regular season is closer to judge his worth; obviously if he wins RT job & plays well, he'll be real valuable commodity in FA and his best year might even come in 07 when he's a year further removed from his 02 injury and he's had another year in our offseason weight conditioning program. But he also owes Parcells for taking chance on him by giving him 2 year deal enabling him to get kind of trainer he needed & to participate in our weight conditioning program--no other team made such an offer.

burmafrd

Reaction score
If I were the boys I would try and sign Columbo to an extension by the end of camp- by then they should have a good idea of how much he can help us- but he will not have played in any real games and therefore could not really ask for more. I would say a 2 year extension for some good money.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
If I were the boys I would try and sign Columbo to an extension by the end of camp- by then they should have a good idea of how much he can help us- but he will not have played in any real games and therefore could not really ask for more. I would say a 2 year extension for some good money.

Keep an eye on this because the reports do suggest that Columbo may be deserving and I hope he is....