Sam Hurd/Isaiah Stanback

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Hurd has caught 6 passes in 8 games. He's caught zero passes in the past 3 games.

You can't tell me Stanback would be any worse out there. I think it's time to start working him in on the action.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Stanback showed an extra gear last night, and some athleticism that Hurd and Austin might lack. Austin seems like he's not going to develop much, straight ahead kinda runner. Hurd could be a solid 4th guy for a while, but Stanback seems to have some wiggle - and man is he an athlete.

I think his biggest issue may be route running, and the majority of Romo's passes are either timing based or improvisation - so he would be a liability in that regard. However putting him in there for a reverse, reverse pass, end around, etc would be good just to get him some touches and build his confidence. Hurd and Austin have hit their wall, Stanback has a much much higher ceiling.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
theogt;1746420 said:
Hurd has caught 6 passes in 8 games. He's caught zero passes in the past 3 games.

You can't tell me Stanback would be any worse out there. I think it's time to start working him in on the action.

Hurd is the 3rd WR, but the Cowboys have been playing with 2 TEs more often. You want to look somewhere. Where was Crayton last night. Our #2 receiver pitched a goose egg last night. Crayton has 2 catches for 19 yards over the last two games and 7 catches for 65 yards over the last three.

About the time he started spouting off, is about the time he stopped showing up. I say move Hurd into the #2 spot and let him show what he can do. Kick Crayton back to the #3 and let him share time with Stanback.

To me, Hurd just isn't getting the opportunity with all the two TE sets we've been running.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
nyc;1746452 said:
Hurd is the 3rd WR, but the Cowboys have been playing with 2 TEs more often. You want to look somewhere. Where was Crayton last night. Our #2 receiver pitched a goose egg last night. Crayton has 2 catches for 19 yards over the last two games and 7 catches for 65 yards over the last three.

About the time he started spouting off, is about the time he stopped showing up. I say move Hurd into the #2 spot and let him show what he can do. Kick Crayton back to the #3 and let him share time with Stanback.

To me, Hurd just isn't getting the opportunity with all the two TE sets we've been running.
We've actually been playing a decent amount of 3 receiver sets. And we'd probably play more if we had a serviceable 3rd receiver.

Crayton, though not a longterm answer at #2, is a fine #3 option. Hurd isn't even that.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
theogt;1746464 said:
We've actually been playing a decent amount of 3 receiver sets. And we'd probably play more if we had a serviceable 3rd receiver.

Crayton, though not a longterm answer at #2, is a fine #3 option. Hurd isn't even that.

Hmm, I'm going to have to watch Hurd closer when he is in the game. I have seen Hurd make several big plays. (including that crushing block on Archuleta to spring Owens) The problem is, I'm not always completely aware of when he is in the game while watching it. I DVRed the game, I will keep an eye on him when I get a change to review the game closer sometime this week.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
theogt;1746420 said:

I've stated many times in the past, including early this season that Hurd will be a good WR, but I'm not so sure now, he is becoming invisible. Six passes caught in eight games is simply unacceptable for #3 WR. I certainly like to see what Stanbach can do on the field, even in a limited role.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
The coaches are doing a fine job this season. I have every confidence that they'll get Stanback involved as soon as they think he's ready to contribute.

I gotta believe that having Stanback return kickoffs last night is a step toward having him see some action as a WR. If he is only to take a few snaps on offense, he needs to contribute on special teams too (to justify his spot on the gameday roster).

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think the reason Hurd doesnt catch a lot of passes is because he is the last read and Witten or TO are usually open.

Hurd can make plays when given the opportunity. Id like to see us use him more but there is really no need to if someone else is open.

sacase

Reaction score
While Crayton is the 2nd and Hurd is the Third they are actually number 3 and 4 The first reads are either TO or Witten and lately they have been open. Not a slam on PC or Hurd but witten and TO have been tearing it up.

DBoys

Reaction score
nyc;1746452 said:

Amen brother

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
sacase;1746491 said:
While Crayton is the 2nd and Hurd is the Third they are actually number 3 and 4 The first reads are either TO or Witten and lately they have been open. Not a slam on PC or Hurd but witten and TO have been tearing it up.
The problem is that we need wide receivers to take pressure off of those first two reads. They shouldn't have to be the first two reads on every play.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
sacase;1746491 said:

I would also argue that Barber/Jones out of the backfield has become the #3 option many times... and with the yardage those "dump offs" have yielded it seems like a solid development.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I think now is the time that we'll be seeing more and more of Stanback being worked into the offense, the work in practice might be paying off as he digests the playbook and the nuances of playing receiver

joseephuss

Reaction score
sacase;1746491 said:

And there seems to be a bigger effort to get the running backs involved in the passing game. Romo can come off of his reads of TO and Witten and then dump it to either Julius or Marion. There are only so many passes to go around.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1746549 said:
The problem is that we need wide receivers to take pressure off of those first two reads. They shouldn't have to be the first two reads on every play.

Garrett's plan is to get TO involved in the O as much as possible, and Witten is Romo's favorite receiver, they have a great repoire, idk why you say they shouldn't have to be the 1st 2 reads, they are our 2 best receivers, TO opens up the game, and Witten opens up the middle of the field, which opens up running lanes, you usually look for your top 2 targets 1st before everyone else

I agree though that someone else needs to step up since TO is seeing 2, sometimes 3 defenders in his area, although if we keep running the ball successfully like we did against the Eagles, that will stop like it did last night

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
joseephuss;1746577 said:
And there seems to be a bigger effort to get the running backs involved in the passing game. Romo can come off of his reads of TO and Witten and then dump it to either Julius or Marion. There are only so many passes to go around.

Copy cat! :p:

StarHead69

Reaction score
theogt;1746549 said:

Why shouldn't they? At least until someone shuts them down and we can't get it done on the 3rd and 4th reads. I imagine that Irvin and Novacek were almost always the #1 and #2 reads... Harper and company went long stretches without many catches and we were just fine.