CFZ Sam Williams Backing up Parsons?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Is that why we've seen less of Sam Williams? is he learning Parsons role any? I would like to see them use Sam off the edge and Parsons up the middle from the LB position at times. I know Parsons knows how to get to the QB. But it shouldn't matter from where. Personally, I would also be giving Sam some reps at LB. I want to see him get in there and get coached up playing LB and DL.

Like if Sam wants to play, why isn't he out there with the LBers? Saying, coach, put me in at the outside LB or if he's just a defensive lineman, you can still move him around on the field. We've seen him light it up one game. Do they think that giving him too many reps early on will make him take it for granted? Or is he really not ready to play? Anyway, again, I totally see it with his athleticism, I just want to see him get it done on the field. He's on the same level as Parsons, almost, as far as being athletically gifted. A tad bit bigger, but a tenth and change slower, which he could close the gap on if he worked purely on speed. So, I see the talent. I just want to see him play up to his potential, and not let it get to his head.

That said, I also think you need a back up for Parsons, Heaven forbid.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
There's a thread stating that he's a ST captain this week, so probably not.
I saw that. But does that mean that they aren't expanding his role to defense as well? I understand he's ST captain. But I didn't think that excluded him from defensive duties.

Now that you mention it, you could also use Sam in the Middle. That's actually where they could use him the most, with Parsons on the edge. You could really freak QBs out with that, potentially.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Not sure where this is coming from.

He had a good game on special teams and can build from there but the pre season hype of ten sack he predicted is a fantasy.

At this point he should just do his job, whatever the coaching staff decides that should be.

CCBoy

Reaction score
He can notch a career status by being a dominant contributor on special teams. Being around long enough can with time on the clock, develop his use in his real talents and positional abilities. Four to five years means a strong positional development.

Beaker42

Reaction score
He can notch a career status by being a dominant contributor on special teams. Being around long enough can with time on the clock, develop his use in his real talents and positional abilities. Four to five years means a strong positional development.
So we used a high 2nd on a DE who isn’t ready to play DE? Gotcha.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
He’s a DE, not a LB. To me he is the biggest and strongest of the younger guys and is more suited to backup DLaw as he is excellent vs the run.

CCBoy

Reaction score
So we used a high 2nd on a DE who isn’t ready to play DE? Gotcha.
Crap, don't even start to make up what I say...

Those are your words as well as fully stupid in context of my discussions. Room deodorant can overcome that aroma left behind.

There are many ways to get the strongest foothold on a career. Time on field is the big indicator. Year two of a three year window as established by Bill Parcells, doesn't fail anyone yet. That is called NFL developmental time and fully leaves possible success in place.

In the future, just leave me out of your hero worshipping character assaults...they are really not needed where you self proclaim failure and poster insult both!!! :popcorn:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is that why we've seen less of Sam Williams? is he learning Parsons role any? I would like to see them use Sam off the edge and Parsons up the middle from the LB position at times. I know Parsons knows how to get to the QB. But it shouldn't matter from where. Personally, I would also be giving Sam some reps at LB. I want to see him get in there and get coached up playing LB and DL.

Like if Sam wants to play, why isn't he out there with the LBers? Saying, coach, put me in at the outside LB or if he's just a defensive lineman, you can still move him around on the field. We've seen him light it up one game. Do they think that giving him too many reps early on will make him take it for granted? Or is he really not ready to play? Anyway, again, I totally see it with his athleticism, I just want to see him get it done on the field. He's on the same level as Parsons, almost, as far as being athletically gifted. A tad bit bigger, but a tenth and change slower, which he could close the gap on if he worked purely on speed. So, I see the talent. I just want to see him play up to his potential, and not let it get to his head.

Sam Williams has played 30% of the defensive snaps.

They're playing a 10 man-DL rotation. The most common is an 8-man rotatation. In the Marinelli days, they rarely even had more then 8 DL active for the game.

SW has played more snaps than Dante Fowler.

They've started giving Parsons more snaps at LB. Just count the number of DL on the field. If there are 4 plus Parsons, then he is technically playing LB.
- Sam Williams is often one of the DEs on the field when Parsons is at LB.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I saw that. But does that mean that they aren't expanding his role to defense as well? I understand he's ST captain. But I didn't think that excluded him from defensive duties.

Now that you mention it, you could also use Sam in the Middle. That's actually where they could use him the most, with Parsons on the edge. You could really freak QBs out with that, potentially.
Running a 4.4 forty does not mean that a player is good in pass coverage.
- Modern era LBs have to be good coverage players.

The only chance you'll see Sam Williams at MLB is on a goalline type play where Safeties replace CBs, LBs replace Safeties and occasionally DL replace LBs.

blueblood70

Reaction score

In my opinion the answer to that is no and by the way I think he's backing up tank DeMarcus Lawrence probably really backing up like he's the swing defensive end coming in for both of them but he reminds me more of a right defensive end or whatever position that actually DeMarcus Lawrence plays because he looks more like him little more of a complete player that plays the run does really well and pressures but doesn't always get a lot of sacks but here in my opinion is the future replacement for tank...

And by the way it's not a players position to be going and begging to play other positions or begging for play time they know what they have the coaches will get him on the field in due time y'all keep forgetting there's too many of these same Williams pose first of all he had a bad toe to start the year then he had the little incident he was a little bit in the doghouse and now I think he's playing his way out of it on special teams and I think he will get his snaps increased a little at a time over the entire the entire season so yeah no worries for me.. Parsons doesn't come out of the game by the way very often that would be dumb to only want to back up Parsons he won't even come out when we're up by 30 points and he should so yeah I mean he has a better shot at spelling tank and you know whenever they're moving Parsons in the middle and then he'd be one of the edge guys and whatnot..

Pass2Run

Reaction score

They're playing a 10 man-DL rotation. The most common is an 8-man rotatation. In the Marinelli days, they rarely even had more then 8 DL active for the game.

They've started giving Parsons more snaps at LB. Just count the number of DL on the field. If there are 4 plus Parsons, then he is technically playing LB.
I get it. He's playing, although I didn't realize he was playing that much. I'm just talking about being more creative with how he's playing. I was also discussing who backs up Parsons if he ends up getting injured.

conner01

Reaction score

The key is he needs to make more of an impact than Fowler and he will get more snaps

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

He has the physical skills.
Its the mental part I am not sure about...