Saturn Solar Eclipes for Cassini

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The following is an image taken by the Cassini probe that is orbiting Saturn. This was taken several months ago, but I came across it again and figured I would share it. Anyhow, Saturn blocks out the sun as Cassini snaps this picture.

(Very large, so I didn't embed it)

Saturn Eclipse Image

Something very cool about this photo is Earth is in that picture. Here is a small portion of the entire image with Earth circled near the left side of Saturn's rings.

https://lh4.***BROKEN***/-QLRL84m79bE/TwCV-nx1MqI/AAAAAAAACaU/Q-ZXormF8_M/h301/6.jpg

Temo

Reaction score
How does the probe even take pictures out there? It can't be like taking a picture on earth, can it? You'd have to block out all the random radiation and especially light from celestial bodies to take that.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
There are several different types of pictures taken. From normal pictures, IR, radio, etc.

Most images like the one I linked too are normal images, (they have many different types of filters to filter out stuff they don't want) but they aren't true color. They enhance the images to bring out the most detail and for the most part try to match them as close as possible to "true color". The problem is, we don't know what "true color" is when the image was taken. (nobody is there to judge) So, they have to guess the best they can based on what the image and other information tells them. (like the make up of what they are taking a picture of)