Schematically if the coaches aren't making changes, will the players buy in?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We had the bye week, and the coaches come to the players with the same schemes, same plays with no noticeable changes, how can our players be motivated to win games. We're also playing SF, if our coaches have not changed things up and we're running the same plays, same things on offense and defense, what chance to we have to beat them??

I know it's not all on the coaches, but we've not seen much change in what we've been doing for a while now. Hoping things improved and we will actually make things competitive going forward. Please give your thoughts

Mikexike

Reaction score
These coaches seem to think it’s more about execution. All we can hope for is they have been having great practices, we will find out come Sunday which team wants it more.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
We had the bye week, and the coaches come to the players with the same schemes, same plays with no noticeable changes, how can our players be motivated to win games. We're also playing SF, if our coaches have not changed things up and we're running the same plays, same things on offense and defense, what chance to we have to beat them??

I know it's not all on the coaches, but we've not seen much change in what we've been doing for a while now. Hoping things improved and we will actually make things competitive going forward. Please give your thoughts
I think they will buy into blaming injuries (in private, not in public because it's viewed as an excuse when a player says it). Bland has been out and so has Carson, so we're playing corners that barely made the roster. Parsons is our best pass rusher and is among four defensive ends out. We were missing our MLB in the last game. We're missing our No. 2 receiver.

I think players understand talent and what happens when it's missing. That doesn't mean they aren't frustrated, but teams don't usually make "much change" from what they installed heading into the season. They can tweak it for personnel groupings and for specific opponents, but we shouldn't expect major changes.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
I think a banged up Niners team is still going to punch them in the face enough to rip their motivation out by half time

Asklesko

Reaction score
The question is, do the players still buy in to what the coaches are selling? We shall see.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Don't know how they will get the players that don't care to care.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Don't know how they will get the players that don't care to care.
The way to stop that is stop paying all them fools big money! Make them earn it.

But if you look good to the public and sell jerseys...screw the SB. He will pay his players to be clowns.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score

Sometimes a couple of weeks to make minor adjustments to cater the scheme better to the players is a good thing. New DC learning how to utilize these guys and all. I'm sure some adjustments were made. I'm not confident that they'll work. This year's team lost me against the Saints, and outside of the Steelers game (still having a hard time understanding this one), they haven't done much to convince me otherwise.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Players have a lame duck coach that has a milquetoast personality. They aren't going to war for this dude because they see he's quiet quitting.
He's not really quitting. He was never really in this.

All his time in Dallas showed was that his last two years in Green Bay were not a fluke. He won't get another NFL job. He brings nothing to the table.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Why does it seem this offense starts so slow, waits till the bye week to make some more aggressive progressive changes and open things up?

Portnoy1

Reaction score
Sometimes a couple of weeks to make minor adjustments to cater the scheme better to the players is a good thing. New DC learning how to utilize these guys and all. I'm sure some adjustments were made. I'm not confident that they'll work. This year's team lost me against the Saints, and outside of the Steelers game (still having a hard time understanding this one), they haven't done much to convince me otherwise.
The DC has tried to adapt his scheme to the players. That’s the problem. The players need to fit his scheme.

Micah is not an edge player. In Zimmers history his DEs are usually around 260-280lbs can pass rush AND hold up against the run.

Zimmer is trying to adapt his scheme to his players and that’s part of the reason his defense is trash. Under normal circumstances in Zims scheme Micah would be a LB and would basically be like a prime Anthony Barr on steroids. Which id happily take.

But because the previous DC allowed players to hunt 24/7 and do what they want , which makes it hard for the new DC to run his scheme, a scheme that requires sacrifice and discipline.

As a GM, If I knew Zimmer was gonna be here for at least 2 seasons and found out Micah wasn’t sold on his scheme, I’d make sure to trade Micah for a haul and allow the DC to build the D the way he wants.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
The DC has tried to adapt his scheme to the players. That’s the problem. The players need to fit his scheme.

Micah is not an edge player. In Zimmers history his DEs are usually around 260-280lbs can pass rush AND hold up against the run.

Zimmer is trying to adapt his scheme to his players and that’s part of the reason his defense is trash. Under normal circumstances in Zims scheme Micah would be a LB and would basically be like a prime Anthony Barr on steroids. Which id happily take.

But because the previous DC allowed players to hunt 24/7 and do what they want , which makes it hard for the new DC to run his scheme, a scheme that requires sacrifice and discipline.

As a GM, If I knew Zimmer was gonna be here for at least 2 seasons and found out Micah wasn’t sold on his scheme, I’d make sure to trade Micah for a haul and allow the DC to build the D the way he wants.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming Zimmer by any means. Love the guy as a defensive mind, but you're right. He doesn't have the players to fit his scheme. Not going out and signing more of his guys, or guys that fit was the biggest fail of the offseason. His defense isn't similar to Quinn's.

It's clear that Micah isn't a fit in this scheme, at least at edge, so the choices should've been to either build around Micah, meaning hiring a DC that can get the most out of him, or trading him and using the picks to update the defense as needed. Bringing in Zimmer on a 1 year deal and keeping Micah at DE was nothing short of idiotic, and i have a feeling that one was JJs call. Now Zim is taking unnecessary heat when he was put in a no win situation, but I suppose it's also on him for taking the job.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming Zimmer by any means. Love the guy as a defensive mind, but you're right. He doesn't have the players to fit his scheme. Not going out and signing more of his guys, or guys that fit was the biggest fail of the offseason. His defense isn't similar to Quinn's.

It's clear that Micah isn't a fit in this scheme, at least at edge, so the choices should've been to either build around Micah, meaning hiring a DC that can get the most out of him, or trading him and using the picks to update the defense as needed. Bringing in Zimmer on a 1 year deal and keeping Micah at DE was nothing short of idiotic, and i have a feeling that one was JJs call. Now Zim is taking unnecessary heat when he was put in a no win situation, but I suppose it's also on him for taking the job.
Part of this is definitely on Zim. Similar to big Mike I think he just wanted a job and seen that there were good pieces.

Part of this (a big part) is on Jerry for not using Free Agency.

Part of this is on Micah for his arrogant attitude toward change and self awareness.

What psses me off is that even with the current roster Zim can still run a competent defense. But Micah playing edge fcks everything up.

Under Zims scheme here is what it’s supposed to look like

Starting Edges
Dlaw/Kneeland

Starting Tackles
OSA/Mazi
With Phillips and Joseph rotating

Then with the base packages
You’d have Micah, Kendrick’s and Overshown at the 3 LB spots.

So now when you’re dealing with 12 and 21 personnel teams that like to run you have a much much better chance.

The lineman don’t need to make any plays, just set the edges , stack the opposing lineman and then allow Micah and the guys to run free and tackle.

Once that’s done they would find themselves in better 3rd down situations and then Zim can get deeper into his play sheet and Micah can get some of his stats and they wouldn’t have to rely on the offense to get a lead (which they can’t).

Then you’d see more performances like the Steelers game where the D holds up for 4 Quarters giving Dak time to get the INTs outta his system and give the team a good drive to win it. Cowboys should be 4-2 honestly with a much better outlook but nah.