CFZ Scouting Is Simple Drafting is Hard

eromeopolk

Reaction score
2 great personnel men both taught me the same thing when it comes to scouting a player. BELIEVE WHAT YOUR EYES SEE. Don't believe the report, the coach, the family, the agent, the pastor, the teacher, and never believe the player. What you see on the field is what you are going to get.

A slow player will always be slow. Draft speed. A strong fast player will always be strong and fast. Draft strength and speed. A playmaker will always make plays. Always draft a playmaker with size, strength or speed. Believe what your eyes see. Here are my top 10 Believe What You See for the 2023 draft.

1. Jalen Carter is the best player in this draft. He comes from Warren Sapps high school and is just as crazy but just as good and bigger and a tenth of a second slower at 4.8. He makes the game look easy in the trenches. Believe what you see.
2. CJ Stroud is the best throwing QB in this draft class. Did you see him have a bad game. Did you see him make throws at the combine like it was his OSU Pro Day. Believe what you eyes see.
3. Will Anderson is the cleanest, safest, and most solid player in this draft. He is not Micah Parson in ability to take over games. But, he is a franchise pass rushing DE/LB that can also play the run. He has the best character to go with size, speed, and playmaking ability. He hustles every play. He fits most of Parcell's drafting requirements except three year starter (but he is a redshirt Jr.). Believe what you see.
4. There are no WRs in this draft that have Top 10 rated talent. There is not even a CeeDee Lamb.
5. Everybody who needs a TE is going to get a TE in this draft that will be in the NFL for 7-12 years. Super year for TEs. There are no Kellen Winslows but there are a bunch of Jason Wittens who was a 3rd round pick.
6. Anthony Richardson is what he is a 6-4-240, 4.4 40yd time football QB athlete. There is a reason high school recruiting has the QB position of QB athlete. That means he can run, catch, throw but can not play pocket passer QB yet. The NFL is not a developmental league. Believe what you see. Go back and watch CJ Stroud throw the ball longer that Richardson with the same effortlessness.
7. If you are short and frail, you are going to stay short and frail. See Bryce Young. He is not 5-11-215 pound Russell Wilson and not 6-0-213 pound Drew Brees. Does your NFL team have the same dominance of a Nick Saban Alabama OL? Believe what you see.
8. Bijan Robinson is no where near Ezekiel Elliott, Marshall Faulk, or Ladanlian Tomlinson. If he was why didn't he elevate Texas from average college team like all the other RB did their Universities. Because he his a solid RB not a franchise RB. Disappeared in big games. Believe what your eyes see.
9. OL and DL are the safest positions to draft in the 2023 draft. 20 players in the top 50 are OL or DL positions. This should be a trench warfare draft for the Cowboys.
10. Forbes ranks the top in the world. Emmanuel Forbes is the top CB in this draft because of what I said earlier. Always draft a playmaker. CBs no.1 job is to cover. no.2 is to take the football away and no.3 only the great ones do it....Score a pick 6. True Freshman led the NCAA in defensive touchdowns scored (3) ... Ranked tied for No. 3 nationally and led the SEC in interceptions (5) in the SEC. He probably weighed less that 170 pounds as a true freshman but you can not coach 4.35 speed 38" vertical jump. Anthony Carter WR, Michigan, played 11 seasons in the NFL at the same height and weight making multiple Pro Bowls. Believe What You Eyes See.

Draft the Best Available Player of Need by believing what your eyes see.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
2 great personnel men both taught me the same thing when it comes to scouting a player. BELIEVE WHAT YOUR EYES SEE. Don't believe the report, the coach, the family, the agent, the pastor, the teacher, and never believe the player. What you see on the field is what you are going to get.

A slow player will always be slow. Draft speed. A strong fast player will always be strong and fast. Draft strength and speed. A playmaker will always make plays. Always draft a playmaker with size, strength or speed. Believe what your eyes see. Here are my top 10 Believe What You See for the 2023 draft.

1. Jalen Carter is the best player in this draft. He comes from Warren Sapps high school and is just as crazy but just as good and bigger and a tenth of a second slower at 4.8. He makes the game look easy in the trenches. Believe what you see.
2. CJ Stroud is the best throwing QB in this draft class. Did you see him have a bad game. Did you see him make throws at the combine like it was his OSU Pro Day. Believe what you eyes see.
3. Will Anderson is the cleanest, safest, and most solid player in this draft. He is not Micah Parson in ability to take over games. But, he is a franchise pass rushing DE/LB that can also play the run. He has the best character to go with size, speed, and playmaking ability. He hustles every play. He fits most of Parcell's drafting requirements except three year starter (but he is a redshirt Jr.). Believe what you see.
4. There are no WRs in this draft that have Top 10 rated talent. There is not even a CeeDee Lamb.
5. Everybody who needs a TE is going to get a TE in this draft that will be in the NFL for 7-12 years. Super year for TEs. There are no Kellen Winslows but there are a bunch of Jason Wittens who was a 3rd round pick.
6. Anthony Richardson is what he is a 6-4-240, 4.4 40yd time football QB athlete. There is a reason high school recruiting has the QB position of QB athlete. That means he can run, catch, throw but can not play pocket passer QB yet. The NFL is not a developmental league. Believe what you see. Go back and watch CJ Stroud throw the ball longer that Richardson with the same effortlessness.
7. If you are short and frail, you are going to stay short and frail. See Bryce Young. He is not 5-11-215 pound Russell Wilson and not 6-0-213 pound Drew Brees. Does your NFL team have the same dominance of a Nick Saban Alabama OL? Believe what you see.
8. Bijan Robinson is no where near Ezekiel Elliott, Marshall Faulk, or Ladanlian Tomlinson. If he was why didn't he elevate Texas from average college team like all the other RB did their Universities. Because he his a solid RB not a franchise RB. Disappeared in big games. Believe what your eyes see.
9. OL and DL are the safest positions to draft in the 2023 draft. 20 players in the top 50 are OL or DL positions. This should be a trench warfare draft for the Cowboys.
10. Forbes ranks the top in the world. Emmanuel Forbes is the top CB in this draft because of what I said earlier. Always draft a playmaker. CBs no.1 job is to cover. no.2 is to take the football away and no.3 only the great ones do it....Score a pick 6. True Freshman led the NCAA in defensive touchdowns scored (3) ... Ranked tied for No. 3 nationally and led the SEC in interceptions (5) in the SEC. He probably weighed less that 170 pounds as a true freshman but you can not coach 4.35 speed 38" vertical jump. Anthony Carter WR, Michigan, played 11 seasons in the NFL at the same height and weight making multiple Pro Bowls. Believe What You Eyes See.

This is some of the worst advice for scouting lol…..how the hell is Bijan suppose to elevate Texas lol…

Believe what your eyes tell you….some guys are blind as a bat lol.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Oh boy here comes the eyes test posts. :lmao:
Hmmm, I don’t agree with you at all here. I think anyone who uses anything other than their eyes is kind of stupid. You think it’s better to use a stop watch? how you play football is how you play football. Game film is #1, 2 and 3 in what’s important IMO. I don’t get how someone can criticize that. Don’t you go by what you see or do you form your opinions off of other peoples opinions?

the worst of all are the people who read mock drafts and then tell you a guy goes too early or too late because the Mel Kipers of the world all had him somewhere else.

krs1bro

Reaction score
Hey we can't hit on every pick. Please turn this guy loose. Done... move on.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hmmm, I don’t agree with you at all here. I think anyone who uses anything other than their eyes is kind of stupid. You think it’s better to use a stop watch? how you play football is how you play football. Game film is #1, 2 and 3 in what’s important IMO. I don’t get how someone can criticize that. Don’t you go by what you see or do you form your opinions off of other peoples opinions?

the worst of all are the people who read mock drafts and then tell you a guy goes too early or too late because the Mel Kipers of the world all had him somewhere else.
......It was a joke....chill.....

kskboys

Reaction score

Anyone who doesn't use all the player evaluating tools at their disposal is even stupider!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very few have the ability to use their eyes to evaluate players.

conner01

Reaction score

Not much to argue with there

conner01

Reaction score
No team drafts a kid thinking he's going to suck, yet half the time they get it wrong. But if every pick hit this thing would be boring.
I think some teams draft potential and think they can make them better. But there is no manic formula because the most freakish athlete who dominated in college can struggle in the nfl because they don’t keep improving, growing physically and mentally
If I had the manic formula or anyone else did they could get very rich

Jarntt

Reaction score
Anyone who doesn't use all the player evaluating tools at their disposal is even stupider!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very few have the ability to use their eyes to evaluate players.
It's clear from other threads you just assume what you read on the internet is accurate or proof of something. For every "draft guru" who thinks player A will be great, another thinks the opposite. As soon as I read someone post the opinion of an "expert" as proof of something, I know they have no clue about the topic themselves. But, have at it...

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Overall solid post. The piece I don't understand is grading Bijan so harshly yet letting CJ Stroud off the hook for the same things. I'm not sure Stroud ever elevated OSU, and he came up short in almost every big game he was in. His last game against Georgia I came away extremely impressed despite them still getting the loss, but played poorly in both Michigan games, Was pretty underwhelmed by the opener this past year against Notre Dame, poor conditions but was 10-26 for 75 yards against Northwestern. There is a lot to like about Stroud dont get me wrong, but my eye test sees some red flags as well. It's almost unfair how we grade a QB at an Ohio State or Bama, but to be fair the surrounding casts they have to work with is almost unfair as well.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You have to figure out whether a players skills in college will translate to the NFL. Sometimes they don’t. Some players are surrounded by a lot of talent on great college teams which makes them look better. Anytime you draft a player it’s a roll of the dice regardless if they’re at the top of the draft or the bottom of the draft. There’s been a lot of great players drafted after the first round and there’s been some top 10 picks end up colossal busts.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

1- Carter seems to be great , when he is motivated. he doesn't seem to love football. I read somewhere he gained 9 pounds from combine to his on campus visit and he was out of shape and quit half way. that's alarming. Aaron Donald loves football. Warren Sapp loved football. does carter Love football?

2- I don't like Stroud. I think he will be average to below average QB in the league. he just doesn't wow you.

4- agreed on WR. we can find one in 2nd or 3rd round and there is not much difference.

5- TE is deep. there is no sure bet. there is very good to good. so yeah, waiting you can find one that's not far off from those at the top.

6- I think the key thing you said is being a pocket passer. that's the difference between an NFL QB and college QB. these dual threat QBs get you to the post season perhaps, but often are neutralized in post season if they can stand and move in the pocket and make plays. Lamar jackson is a great example.

7- Bryce young reminds me of Tua. I don't see him as a russell wilson.

8- Robinson will be picked in top 15, at worst top 20.

9- I never complain about drafting DL and OL

eromeopolk

Reaction score
This is some of the worst advice for scouting lol…..how the hell is Bijan suppose to elevate Texas lol…

Believe what your eyes tell you….some guys are blind as a bat lol.
Overall solid post. The piece I don't understand is grading Bijan so harshly yet letting CJ Stroud off the hook for the same things. I'm not sure Stroud ever elevated OSU, and he came up short in almost every big game he was in. His last game against Georgia I came away extremely impressed despite them still getting the loss, but played poorly in both Michigan games, Was pretty underwhelmed by the opener this past year against Notre Dame, poor conditions but was 10-26 for 75 yards against Northwestern. There is a lot to like about Stroud dont get me wrong, but my eye test sees some red flags as well. It's almost unfair how we grade a QB at an Ohio State or Bama, but to be fair the surrounding casts they have to work with is almost unfair as well.
Regarding Bijan you are both Right. You did not see it happen so it is not worth trading up or drafting Bijan in the 1st round because you need to believe what your eyes see. He is not Faulk who put San Diego St. on the map. He did not run his team to National Championships like Dorsett, and Elliott. He did not lead the nation in rushing and became a member of the 2K club like Tomlinson. He did nothing to elevate Texas to the glory days of Earl Campbell, Cedric Benson, and Ricky Williams. He is what you see. He is solid back, and so is the one you can draft in the 2nd and 3rd round.

Regarding Stroud, he came in as a red shirt sophomore and kept OSU challenging for a National Championships after "the Chosen One" (RIP) left to early being drafted by the Deadskins. The loses against Michigan was not because he played awful. Against Northwestern, your non-mobile QB rushed for 79 yards with a 44 yd run and they won.

What I am saying is watch the film/tape/video of all the games all the plays. If you see a 1st round football player, do not let the noise make your drafting hard. Believe what your eyes see. The perfect example is drafting Zach Martin. I stated all before the draft and before the Cowboys pick, if the scouts got the draft broad ranked by what the saw and not what they heard they are going to get a Hall of Fame player.

Scouting is easy. Drafting is hard.

JBS

Reaction score
There is something called ceiling and potential - to suggest players can’t improve in the nfl is stupid

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Wa
1- Carter seems to be great , when he is motivated. he doesn't seem to love football. I read somewhere he gained 9 pounds from combine to his on campus visit and he was out of shape and quit half way. that's alarming. Aaron Donald loves football. Warren Sapp loved football. does carter Love football?

2- I don't like Stroud. I think he will be average to below average QB in the league. he just doesn't wow you.

4- agreed on WR. we can find one in 2nd or 3rd round and there is not much difference.

5- TE is deep. there is no sure bet. there is very good to good. so yeah, waiting you can find one that's not far off from those at the top.

6- I think the key thing you said is being a pocket passer. that's the difference between an NFL QB and college QB. these dual threat QBs get you to the post season perhaps, but often are neutralized in post season if they can stand and move in the pocket and make plays. Lamar jackson is a great example.

7- Bryce young reminds me of Tua. I don't see him as a russell wilson.

8- Robinson will be picked in top 15, at worst top 20.

9- I never complain about drafting DL and OL
Warren Sapp loved Mary Jane more than football or he would not have felled in the draft.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Regarding Bijan you are both Right. You did not see it happen so it is not worth trading up or drafting Bijan in the 1st round because you need to believe what your eyes see. He is not Faulk who put San Diego St. on the map. He did not run his team to National Championships like Dorsett, and Elliott. He did not lead the nation in rushing and became a member of the 2K club like Tomlinson. He did nothing to elevate Texas to the glory days of Earl Campbell, Cedric Benson, and Ricky Williams. He is what you see. He is solid back, and so is the one you can draft in the 2nd and 3rd round.

Regarding Stroud, he came in as a red shirt sophomore and kept OSU challenging for a National Championships after "the Chosen One" (RIP) left to early being drafted by the Deadskins. The loses against Michigan was not because he played awful. Against Northwestern, your non-mobile QB rushed for 79 yards with a 44 yd run and they won.

What I am saying is watch the film/tape/video of all the games all the plays. If you see a 1st round football player, do not let the noise make your drafting hard. Believe what your eyes see. The perfect example is drafting Zach Martin. I stated all before the draft and before the Cowboys pick, if the scouts got the draft broad ranked by what the saw and not what they heard they are going to get a Hall of Fame player.

Scouting is easy. Drafting is hard.
Great in theory, and you're not completely wrong, but two people can watch the same film of the same games and come away with two different options, and I think BJ & Stroud are two excellent examples. Stroud has some absolutely amazing numbers and nearly flawless games to go with it, but I've also saw some clunkers mixed in there. Justin Fields, Dwayne Haskins, JT Barrett, Cardale Jones, Braxton Miller all great recent great OSU QBs, even two of them 1st round picks. None have been very impactful in the NFL, although to be fair Fields has been on the upswing and still has time to make a name for himself in the league. You see an instant first round pick, I see a guy that's high risk/high reward all from the same tape.

Great college players become NFL busts all the time for a variety of reasons. It's changing a little bit as the styles of play from college to pro are becoming more similar and players are getting paid earlier through NIL deals, but you're still drafting human beings. human beings who are going through major life transitions. People who are about to go to the next level and will be instant millionaires. Personally I don't get too caught up in the combine and pro day numbers. I do pay attention when we have character concerns.