Screen passes + Multiple defense + DT/S

Reaction score
If McCarthy can implement these two fixes, I believe this is an infinitely better team.

McCarthy's RB's always seemed to thrive in the screen game (Dorsey Levens, Ahman Green, Ryan Grant, now Aaron Jones). With Zeke and Pollard, we should be running some type of screen pass every series. It helps slow the rush and puts a lot of pressure on the opposing LBs to read and react (rather than drop deep into coverage).

Whether 3-4 or 4-3 based, if the new DC can tailor the front and coverage to the opponent, rather than trotting out the same 4-3, cover 3 look (Every. Single. Game.), we have a chance to stop some teams and get turnovers.

Finally, get some beefy DT's who can truly control the line of scrimmage, not just penetrate and create gaps and running lanes, and a playmaking SS who can really come up and tackle consistently in the box. Heath is not that guy. This will go a long way toward forcing teams into third and longs, and stopping the long drives that have been a staple of Rod's "bend but don't break" defense.

Thoughts?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Agreed on the first two, big time. I think we'll see a lot more of both Zeke and Pollard in the pass game, and though I think changing defensive schemes from opponent to opponent is mostly a myth, I do think they can be a lot more varied in the coverages they run and play downhill a lot more.

I don't think DT is much of a need.

Frozen700

Reaction score
You forgot to add if he can bench or release Dak, we will be great

#DontpayDak

quickccc

Reaction score
as one of his learning speed bumps with Kellen, I thought we really got away from the quick RB screen passes that used to eat opposing teams alive with that.
you're right in that this is a frequent weaponry with McCarthy, and zeke and pollard should thrive more under MM.

quickccc

Reaction score
Agreed on the first two, big time. I think we'll see a lot more of both Zeke and Pollard in the pass game, and though I think changing defensive schemes from opponent to opponent is mostly a myth, I do think they can be a lot more varied in the coverages they run and play downhill a lot more.

I don't think DT is much of a need.

I do.
i've always heard from coaches, players that physical effective overpowering NT is essential in making the 3-4 scheme work. and as of now, we have nothing but JAGs in the interior.
I don't think we'll see the usual bargain based scrubs and JAGs that have been a staple of Rod Marinelli with interior run stuffers.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I do.
i've always heard from coaches, players that physical effective overpowering NT is essential in making the 3-4 scheme work. and as of now, we have nothing but JAGs in the interior.
I don't think we'll see the usual bargain based scrubs and JAGs that have been a staple of Rod Marinelli with interior run stuffers.
We don't run a 3-4 and are in nickel like 65% of the time. Collins is an elite passrusher.

A DT who can't rush the passer is detrimental to a modern NFL defense.

quickccc

Reaction score
We don't run a 3-4 and are in nickel like 65% of the time. Collins is an elite passrusher.

A DT who can't rush the passer is detrimental to a modern NFL defense.

if Mike Nolan likely to come here as rumored, its a good chance that we will be running the 3-4 scheme. We'll see and find out what is the likely scheme.

Even if we remain 4-3, we need to upgrade the entire interior.
and if Collins were an "elite" pass rusher, he'd already been a pro bowl bowler some time ago.
he's a rotational type at best that flashes in stretch apart moments, imo.
and he's due to be a FA, so we dunno if Malike will even be here next year.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If McCarthy can implement these two fixes, I believe this is an infinitely better team.

McCarthy's RB's always seemed to thrive in the screen game (Dorsey Levens, Ahman Green, Ryan Grant, now Aaron Jones). With Zeke and Pollard, we should be running some type of screen pass every series. It helps slow the rush and puts a lot of pressure on the opposing LBs to read and react (rather than drop deep into coverage).

Whether 3-4 or 4-3 based, if the new DC can tailor the front and coverage to the opponent, rather than trotting out the same 4-3, cover 3 look (Every. Single. Game.), we have a chance to stop some teams and get turnovers.

Finally, get some beefy DT's who can truly control the line of scrimmage, not just penetrate and create gaps and running lanes, and a playmaking SS who can really come up and tackle consistently in the box. Heath is not that guy. This will go a long way toward forcing teams into third and longs, and stopping the long drives that have been a staple of Rod's "bend but don't break" defense.

Thoughts?
in case you haven't notice. offense wasn't a problem. in game calling at crucial times and defense.