News: SDFW: Dallas Cowboys: The running game is the key to success

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Though Dallas defense needs to still clean up its run defense. The Rams rushing on offense it near the bottom of the NFL as well.
But the key is to still pressure Stafford.

Maybe Moore can figure out a better run game plan than he had for the Washington game. Like running away form where Donald is and stop trying to stuff it up the middle all the time.
How about trying to pull a guard for once to block. Stop with the OL as a FB unless inside the 5 or a short 4th and 1.

Mr_437

Reaction score
The running game certainly has to step it up because last game they eeked out 62...not good. Impressive they still won with such a poor showing in the rushing department. The OL has to do better, and I'd like to see some Rico Dowdle for a few carries a game just to add a changeup.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Though Dallas defense needs to still clean up its run defense. The Rams rushing on offense it near the bottom of the NFL as well.
But the key is to still pressure Stafford.

Maybe Moore can figure out a better run game plan than he had for the Washington game. Like running away form where Donald is and stop trying to stuff it up the middle all the time.
How about trying to pull a guard for once to block. Stop with the OL as a FB unless inside the 5 or a short 4th and 1.

Given the pressure being put on Stafford I would not be shocked to see Rams looking to run more, fact is they are 31st in rushing attempts they have not ran the ball thus far this season, I expect that to change since I think McVay will look for ways to slow down pass rushes.

75boyz

Reaction score
Need for the HC, OC and OL coach to maintain its focus on continuing to run the ball regardles of results. As many other posters have noted, the 'threat' of the run keeps a defense honest.

The main sticking point for me is that I am not sure how much creativity/innovation Moore or McCarthy possess in scheming something effective. They both are rooted in pass happy philosophies.
You can throw in Philbin down the stretch last year and all 3 of them were poor at their jobs.

As simple as the run game offense has proven to be, IF good health can be maintained on the o line, there is a chance to win.

Now if they go back to pass happy tendencies this team will go nowhere.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
It's easy and too simplistic to say "Run the ball" ....as easy as the "Just say NO", slogan. Lots of things need to be done in order to accomplish this perceived simple task. OL needs to be able to run block decent enough to average about 4 yards a pop, and a QB needs to have the patience and ability to stick to the run and not audible at his leisure. Offense needs to be disciplined enough not to fall behind the sticks with penalties. If you don't do that, you will see more 3 and outs than at a Asian "massage" parlour.

XXLMike

Reaction score
I agree with this - that said I want to see more of Ferguson and Hendershot.

Two TE sets and Playaction can open up some big space for both of these kids .

Less Schultz please .