SDogo Mock V2 (pre-combine)

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
ROUND 1 PICK #27 (27 overall)

Jared Ordick DE/DT PSU
large_odrick.jpg

Don't get me wrong, there are bigger needs for the Cowboys even though I have my doubts we will see Marcus Spears back in Dallas next year. I also highly doubt unless a big name falls to #27 the Cowboys will keep this pick when the dust settles. Mike Iupati is the hot name for the Cowboys right now. I have my doubts he will be available here. The argument can be made to go after one of the OT's that could be here but I'm not sold Jerry see's the urgency as much as the fans do. Doug Free can be thanked for that. Also, I'm sure Jones would like to see what he has in Brewster before he shells out 1st round money for another OL that would sit the bench for a year or two. Ordick fills the role as a DT or DE, will be more of a pass rush threat then Spears and can play the run just as well. Also the high character, high energy and a leader that you want on any team.

Other Options:
Brandon Spikes ILB Florida
Bruce Campbell OT Maryland
Devin McCourty CB Rutger

ROUND 2 PICK #27 (59 overall)

Vladimir Ducasse OT Massachusetts
539w.jpg

With loads of untapped potential Ducasse could be one of those picks that 4 years down the road you look back and wonder how someone so talented could of lasted this long. Vladimir will need the perfect situation to excel. He cant be thrown into the action to early. Make no bones about it, this young man is not ready to come into this league and start. Good news for the Cowboys is he would not be expected to. A move like this allows Dallas to move Brewster inside to OG to develop and gives Dallas a future LT to groom.

Other Options:
Dexter McCluster WR Mississippi
Jerome Murphy CB South Florida
Daryl Washington ILB TCU

ROUND 3 PICK #26 (90 overall)

Carlton Mitchell WR South Florida
C4S_usffront103109_92013d.jpg

This year more then any I can remember there are more names at WR on fans wish list. There seems to be no fan favorite front runner. Mitchell's measurable make scouts drool. At 6'4" 220 pounds and a estimated 40 time of 4.45 (Mitchell promises a sub 4.4 before the draft) he has everything you look for in a WR. I also have reason to believe (as I always point out, I'm not playing a insider) there is deep interest on the part of the Cowboys and I'm not just saying that because his name has been mentioned among the players the staff has scoped out. Jerry is once again playing his "no WR" card but I'm not buying it or at least not in the 3rd round. Austin, Williams and Crayton likely have the top 3 spots wrapped up. Ogletree has solidified his spot as the 4th WR. Jerry has his eye open just in case year 3 of the Roy Williams experiment turns out to be a repeat of years 1 and 2.

Other Options:
Cam Thomas DT North Carolina
Donovan Warren CB Michigan
Sean Lee ILB PSU

ROUND 4 PICK #27 (122 overall)

Chris Cook CB Virginia
ncf_u_cook_400.jpg

In this league you can never have to many cover CB's. Newman is no spring chicken. Mike Jenkins is on his way to becoming one of the top CB's in the league and Scandrick is showing promise that he can become the high quality #2 CB we all had hoped. I love the skills and development Alan Ball has shown but I believe the Cowboys would rather play him at Safety. Cook has great size at 6'2" and around 212 pounds. He is quickly rising up draft boards and might not even be an option in the 4th round but as of right now, this is a quality pick late in the draft.

Other Options:
Ben Tate RB Auburn
Larry Asante SS Nebraska
John Jerry OG Mississippi

ROUND 6 PICK #27 (186 overall)

Robert Johnson FS Utah
http://i668.***BLOCKED***/albums/vv41/LilUno411/RobertJohnson-1.png

Johnson is simply a play maker at the FS position. Something that has haunted Dallas for years. Last year Johnson was allowed to play more in the box and increased his tackle totals while proving his wiry frame can handle the contact. He will need to add some weight but has track star speed and instincts that can not be coached. This guy will be a terror on special teams until he is ready to take over the FS position which could come sooner then later.

Other Options:
Eric Olsen C Notre Dame
Reggie Stephens OG Iowa St
Linval Joseph DT East Carolina

ROUND 7 PICK #26 (217 overall)

John Estes C Hawaii
696641.jpg

I dont want to hear anything about his short arms. Estes is simply mean and nasty. After his measurements at the East-West Game scouts were ready to write him off but he quickly put an end to that just as he has done his whole career. John can line up at OC or OG and play there for the next 10 years in the NFL. Many Hawaii OL have struggled in the NFL but I have yet to see any of them who have the agility, the body control, the mean streak and the smarts that Estes has.

Other Options:
Leigh Tiffin K Alabama
Jeff Byers C USC
Mike Tepper OG California

OTHER COMMENTS

I was going to wait till after the Scouting Combine because then more then ever the draft board shuffles but HOS ruined that.

I really am starting to get the feeling that last years draft class has handicapped this years process. More then ever Jerry and the Boys need to draft as they have not think back. We have 2 ILB's from last years class we know very little about due to injuries. 1 OLB we saw very little of. a OT/OG that never took the field and a FS that showed us nothing again due to injuries.

All of these are positions I look to include in the mock and wonder if I'm wasting a pick. Hopefully, not a mistake Jerry and company will make. If the best player on the board is a ILB (ala Brandon Spikes) then I hope they go that direction despite the fact we have 2 rookies who we know nothing about.

I'll be honest, if I sit here and forget about last years draft class I always end up with a totally different mock. It's a battle I go back and fourth with from one mock to the next.

This one was had me thinking back to last year. I wanted Spikes in the 1st but could not let myself forget the overload we have at ILB after last years class.

Maybe next time.

I look forward to the combine, I like the shuffle of the boards and finally we start to get a little glimpse of how the chips might fall.

Until then were shooting rabbits in the dark but having a hell of time doing it.

Enjoy:star:

SDogo

Reaction score
Can a mod change the title to (pre-combine)

Getting ahead of myself. :laugh2:

SDogo

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3269131 said:
Vladimir won't be there late in the 2nd

There is a ton of OT's in this draft. While he is a hot name among the couch scouts his rawness is lost on NFL teams. I'm not saying he could not go earlier but it's not unthinkable that he would be there late in the 2nd. I dont believe he lasts much longer then that.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
I like your sig mock alot better.

Another 3-4 DE in the first round will make me sick. Those guys are role players.

SDogo

Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3269142 said:

Another 3-4 DE in the first round will make me sick. Those guys are role players.

Yeah, I like it better as well but I'm not sure how realistic it is. I guess it would qualify as more of a wish list then a mock at this point.

I dont believe for one moment Ordick is a role player. He is a 3 down legitimate run stopper and pass rusher. He can shut down the run like Igor and rush the passer better then any of our current DE's. If Ratliff needs a break he bring the size inside to get the job done and causes a terrible mismatch for any center.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
SDogo;3269146 said:
Yeah, I like it better as well but I'm not sure how realistic it is. I guess it would qualify as more of a wish list then a mock at this point.

I dont believe for one moment Ordick is a role player. He is a 3 down legitimate run stopper and pass rusher. He can shut down the run like Igor and rush the passer better then any of our current DE's. If Ratliff needs a break he bring the size inside to get the job done and causes a terrible mismatch for any center.

Ordick is a great player. It's just not a pressing need. Bowen is a really pass rusher and Spears is all around solid and then Hatcher is also solid. You might take BPA, but I dont believe we are in that position. O-line is a pressing need. I think I would rather take Ducasse or Pouncey in the first. Obviously trade down if available and pick up an extra 3rd.

Woods

Reaction score
I really like your draft.

But like another poster said, I doubt V Ducasse will be there for us in the 2nd round. If he is, I'd hope we draft him.

I really like your 1st and 3rd and 4th round picks as well.

SDogo

Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3269152 said:
Ordick is a great player. It's just not a pressing need. Bowen is a great pass rusher and Spears is all around solid. You might take BPA, but I dont believe we are in that position. O-line is a pressing need. I think I would rather take Ducasse or Pouncey in the first. Obviously trade down if available and pick up an extra 3rd.

I just think your investing an awful lot into a terribly raw prospect taking Ducasse that early. It's going to be a good 2 or 3 years before he is ready to take over the LT spot. You might get some time out of him at RT before that. I would not be surprised at all to see more seasoned players like Roger Saffold and Jason Fox taken before Ducasse. At this point a young player by the name of Jared Veldheer is making just as fast a rise up most boards as Ducasse and offers all the same potential and played at a small school yet may be more NFL ready right now.

Woods

Reaction score
I will also add that the one other position that makes me nervous on the roster is ILB.

Brooking is closer to the end of his career. Behind Brooking, we have Carp, who is a nickel LB at best, IMO. Hodge is an unproved rookie coming off an injury. J Williams is our only hope.

I do hope we pick up an all-round ILB in this draft as well.

SDogo

Reaction score
Woods;3269154 said:
I really like your 1st and 3rd and 4th round picks as well.

I really like Carlton Mitchell. If you get a chance to do some research and check out his video's you cant help but get excited about his big play potential. He really offers that athletic ability, size and rawness that after a year or two of coaching can turn him into a legitimate terror in this league.

SDogo

Reaction score
Woods;3269158 said:
I will also add that the one other position that makes me nervous on the roster is ILB.

Brooking is closer to the end of his career. Behind Brooking, we have Carp, who is a nickel LB at best, IMO. Hodge is an unproved rookie coming off an injury. J Williams is our only hope.

I do hope we pick up an all-round ILB in this draft as well.

Like I said, Everytime I do a mock I find myself getting closer and closer to jumping on the Brandon Spikes bandwagon although I'm really starting to like Sean Witherspoon as well.

I tend to believe at some point just like every year Dallas will address the LB position.

Woods

Reaction score
SDogo;3269170 said:
Like I said, Everytime I do a mock I find myself getting closer and closer to jumping on the Brandon Spikes bandwagon although I'm really starting to like Sean Witherspoon as well.

I tend to believe at some point just like every year Dallas will address the LB position.

In my first mock, I had us taking Odrick as well in Round 1.

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to us taking Witherspoon (who seems to be able to play the pass really well too) or B Spikes. I think Spikes production was down a bit last season due to a groin injury. If he runs well at his Pro Day or at the Combine, I can definitely see him going end of the 1st round/early in Round 2.

But like I said, I don't know how much more Brooking has in the tank, and we don't have much behind either Brooking or B James in terms of proven or quality depth, IMO. I hope J Williams is a player because Carp is definitely not an every down LB.

SDogo

Reaction score
Woods;3269186 said:
In my first mock, I had us taking Odrick as well in Round 1.

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to us taking Witherspoon (who seems to be able to play the pass really well too) or B Spikes. I think Spikes production was down a bit last season due to a groin injury. If he runs well at his Pro Day or at the Combine, I can definitely see him going end of the 1st round/early in Round 2.

But like I said, I don't know how much more Brooking has in the tank, and we don't have much behind either Brooking or B James in terms of proven or quality depth, IMO. I hope J Williams is a player because Carp is definitely not an every down LB.

You make a strong case for either player in round 1. As if I was not leaning that direction enough in recent weeks. lol

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
still not feeling a DE round 1.

how often last yeat did u say the DL was the problem? Bring em all back on the tendet, which gives then incentive to play well. throw dixon and some late round/udfa into thr mix in TC

The Realist

Reaction score
I like that mock. Don't like taking a 3-4 DE in one but that could be a pressing need real quick. I also have no problem "over drafting" a position to make it a position of insane depth.

I like your logic on pick #27. Disagree on Ducasse/Brewster. I see if Brewster can settle in at RT and Ducasse at LG. Nearly identical size, but Brewster started 40+ games at RT in a pass happy league.

Solid mock.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I'll be very disappointed if we take Ordick with our first pick. I'd rather trade down if he's all that's left.

I don't think it matters if it's need or not. We were very good against the run last year with Spears, just resign him then.

Good effort with the draft though, it was informative.

Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3269142 said:

we can get Doug Worthington in 7th or free agency solid player