Sean Smith article - he wont be there at 51

RS12

Reaction score
Utah cornerback Sean Smith has workouts with the St. Louis Rams, Cleveland Browns and Miami Dolphins, as well as visits to the Philadelphia Eagles and Baltimore Ravens this week.

Former Utah cornerback Sean Smith is on his way to Philadelphia and Baltimore for private workouts with the Eagles and Ravens today. The Eagles traded Lito Sheppard to the New York Jets and Baltimore has released Chris McAlister and lost Corey Ivy to the Cleveland Browns in free agency, so each team could be looking to draft a corner come April.

Smith also has a visit to the Seattle Seahawks on the docket for this week, a tour that he will complete on Friday. The California native has also scheduled workouts for the St. Louis Rams, Cleveland Browns and Miami Dolphins. Miami lost Andre’ Goodman to the Denver Broncos in free agency, while the Browns (Cleveland On the Clock) and the Rams (St. Louis On the Clock) certainly have cornerback on their list of team needs. Cleveland owns a pair of second round picks.

Some teams may view Smith as a safety because of his size (6034, 214 pounds), adding to his potential value. Miami's Bill Parcells is known for liking players with size and Smith is most reminiscent of one of Parcells’ former players Marcus Coleman out of Texas Tech. Coleman came into the league as a safety, but was switched to cornerback by the then Jets Head Coach.

To learn more about Sean Smith, click to listen to his NFL Draft Bible Player Spotlight on All Access Football Radio

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
His Pro Day results may get him more looks at CB now which is where he wants to play.

I don't think he's there at #51.

But Jerry may trade up too. I think the Cowboys would want him to play Nickel Safety this season and then take over the FS job from there.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I really like him but I don't think you draft him unless you want him as a CB. I expect to see him go early to mid 2nd as a CB.

BP would really love him. Big guy who can make plays and tackle. The Marcus Coleman comparison is very good imho.

Good player for sure and could go as high late 20's because there are so few solid CB prospects and for some schemes he is a perfect fit.

But I do not see him as a Cowboy.

He wants to play CB and he wants to play it in a Tampa 2 scheme.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
all i know if duke robinson isnt there and sean smith when the cowboys pick at 51, that hostile wont be too happy

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
RS12;2713727 said:
Miami's Bill Parcells is known for liking players with size and Smith is most reminiscent of one of Parcells’ former players Marcus Coleman out of Texas Tech.
So was Pete Hunter. :eek::

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Wow..Well I'm beginning to think he have almost zero interest in this guy right now.I don't even think we'd pick him if he fell to 51, let alone moving up to get him..I've lost hope getting this guy, which sucks!..

I don't want the Iggles to get him pleaseeee!.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2714042 said:
Wow..Well I'm beginning to think he have almost zero interest in this guy right now.I don't even think we'd pick him if he fell to 51, let alone moving up to get him..I've lost hope getting this guy, which sucks!..

I don't want the Iggles to get him pleaseeee!.

I guarantee you Dallas is interested. They just have not shown it. They would take him at 51 and probably trade up some for him. The problem is this. I don't see how he gets out of round 1.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
It's not round 1 I'm worried about..there are a BUNCH of teams that pick before us again in round 2..Gimme Sean Smith or Delmas and I'll be happy either way.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Why is it every yr we see post after post of "there's no way this guy's there"

And year after year a number of those same guys go nowhere near where some of the "experts" think.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2714386 said:
It's not round 1 I'm worried about..there are a BUNCH of teams that pick before us again in round 2..Gimme Sean Smith or Delmas and I'll be happy either way.

and what if that doesn't happen?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
dbair1967;2714394 said:
Why is it every yr we see post after post of "there's no way this guy's there"

And year after year a number of those same guys go nowhere near where some of the "experts" think.

Yep, every draft has at least 50 first rounders in it.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
If Sean Smith gets out of round one, I will be shocked. CBs rise, and this group of CBs has issues.

Bunting has this guy ranked at #19, and he is his # 1 rated CB.

I may end up being shocked. Weird stuff does happen during some drafts. If he doesn't go in round 1, he won't last very long at the top of round 2. I think Dallas would want him for a big FS. Some other teams will see big CB.

I was shocked Dallas got Mike Jenkins at # 25. Jenkins is a better player, imo.