Sean Smith

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can find his combine numbers? I want to see his 3 cone drill..vertical..broad jump and 20 yard short shufle compared to other players.

Silverstar

Reaction score
Sean Smith is 6-4 214! :eek:

That's simply too tall to play CB at the NFL level and we already have a 6-4+ safety in Watkins...who is faster btw. FS would probably be best for Smith, considering his speed (4.53) and slight frame. If you compared his frame to say a guy like Curtis Taylor (4.64), you could see the difference between a covering type safety and a more hitting type of safety. Smith definitely projects more as a FS in the NFL. I saw Smith run the 40 and he basically looked like a WR out there to me. Funny, cuz that's exactly what he played his freshman year. He didn't break that magical 4.45 barrier for CB's (few did) and that means he belongs at the safety position in my book. Honestly, I don't want ANY DB on my team running slower than a 4.50 without pads...do you?

However, this year featured a poor class of CB's to say the least. So, he could sneak into the 1st round as a tweener. I think NFLDraftScout has him placed correctly at #37 right now though. He could potentially be a 2 way type threat at FS/WR and that's intriguing for some teams interested in saving a roster spot...but not me.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Silverstar;2652801 said:
Sean Smith is 6-4 214! :eek:

That's simply too tall to play CB at the NFL level and we already have a 6-4+ safety in Watkins...who is faster btw. FS would probably be best for Smith, considering his speed (4.53) and slight frame. If you compared his frame to say a guy like Curtis Taylor (4.64), you could see the difference between a covering type safety and a more hitting type of safety. Smith definitely projects more as a FS in the NFL. I saw Smith run the 40 and he basically looked like a WR out there to me. Funny, cuz that's exactly what he played his freshman year. He didn't break that magical 4.45 barrier for CB's (few did) and that means he belongs at the safety position in my book. Honestly, I don't want ANY DB on my team running slower than a 4.50 without pads...do you?

However, this year featured a poor class of CB's to say the least. So, he could sneak into the 1st round as a tweener. I think NFLDraftScout has him placed correctly at #37 right now though. He could potentially be a 2 way type threat at FS/WR and that's intriguing for some teams interested in saving a roster spot...but not me.

I never wanted him as CB..He needs to play safety where he can make plays. He's a perfect example of a ball hawk. Having him at safety is like having another CB out there. Please don't compare Pat Watkins to Sean Smith please.

Silverstar

Reaction score
If he could lose about 10lbs and hit a 4.45 or better at his Pro Day, then you could maybe compare him to Cromartie and not get laughed at. ;)

Seriously, that should be his goal if he wants to crack the 1st round. He'll look like a rail out there, but his speed will no longer be a question for scouts.

Just my 2 cents..

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
I was expecting a better showing than the numbers Sean Smith turned in. He really didn't stand out in any area and looked stiff in the hips. Teams will have to go back and look at the tape before giving them any credence or wait for his pro day results.

One player I was keeping an eye on was C.J. Spillman. He put up some great numbers, was very fluid with good balance, but misjudged a pass on one of the drills. Judging by his 3 career INTs, this might be an issue of his. He had good East-West practices, pulling in an INT and had 5 tackles in the game.