Sean Taylor's comments .. unbelievable

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have stayed out of the Sean Taylor bashing, but just reading this article just blew me away at one of his comments.

Taylor 'not worried about anything' as camp opens
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=2121999&type=story

ASHBURN, Va. -- Sean Taylor isn't worried about going to jail or concerned what people think of him. He calls football his life but defends his right to stay away from the sport and ignore his coach during the offseason.

The second-year safety, whose NFL career has been one controversy after another, remained as unpredictable as ever Monday on the opening day of Washington Commanders training camp.

"I don't think anybody should have regrets, especially me," Taylor said. "You don't regret what you do in your life. If you do it, you do it for a reason. I'm here, and I'm happy to be here, and I'm happy to be working."

Taylor is charged with threatening someone with a gun in a dispute over an all-terrain vehicle near his Miami home June 1. The trial is set for Sept. 12, the day after the start of the regular season, with a minimum sentence of three years a distinct possibility for a conviction.

Taylor did not go into detail about his legal problems, but he did respond when asked if he was afraid of going to jail.

"That's why we've got judges, we've got trials, we've got people who make decisions [about] what goes on in court," Taylor said. "I'm not worried about anything. That's something for them to handle."

This is the latest in a string of troubles for Taylor. His rookie season included a drunken driving charge that was later dismissed, a fine for skipping the NFL's mandatory rookie symposium, several in-season fines for uniform violations and illegal hits and the hiring and firing of two agents.

Asked if he was concerned about his image, he said: "People that know me, they know me. They know what I'm about. People that don't know me, they're going to be the ones who question and doubt and speculate and write stories before they come ask and find out. They really have no clue. So I'm not worried about what people think."

Taylor was asked to explain why he boycotted the Commanders' voluntary offseason program and why he didn't return coach Joe Gibbs' calls.
"Why was I not here? It was offseason," Taylor said. "I could have returned his phone calls, but it was offseason.

"For the fans that might think I don't like to be here in Washington, it's not that," he added. "It's just that when I have my offseason time, there's places you go."

The price Taylor is paying for his snub of Gibbs was evident once the practices were under way. Taylor worked with the second-string unit, behind newcomer Pierson Prioleau.

"He has missed a lot," Gibbs said. "We kind of felt like that was the best place to start him."

Taylor took the demotion in stride, adding that football is a good way to get away from his problems.

"This is where I'm most comfortable," Taylor said. "This is my life, where I work. I'm definitely glad to be back."

Taylor's friend, running back Clinton Portis, said he didn't think Taylor will be distracted by the upcoming trial, in part because lawyers will probably ask to postpone it until the end of the season.

"He shouldn't be worried. They knocked everybody else's trial back, so why would they make him come in September?" Portis said. "They put Michael Jackson's trial back, and he ain't got a concert anytime soon."

Irving Cowboy

The Chief
Reaction score
You should have seen his press conference.. it should have been a class in "circlespeak". I have never heard a guy say so much yet make so little sense.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Could you see a normal person saying ... "Why did I not call my boss back? It was the weekend. Yeah, I could have called him back, but it was my day off."

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
I would trade Sean Taylor for Roy Williams RIGHT NOW...

Oh wait... I'm not crazylegs... :D

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
He couldn't return Gibb's calls. Over the course of months couldn't find the time to place one call. But it is understandable.

He had "places to go" . (like jail)

Dumb, lazy, irresponsible, disrespectful kid....the comments sound like they are coming not from an adult paid millions to do a job, but from a 13 year old on summer vacation..my time's my own and no one else's.

Juvenile, but I found the following comments much more troubling.

"I don't think anybody should have regrets, especially me," Taylor said. "You don't regret what you do in your life. If you do it, you do it for a reason.

That doesn't sound like someone who has learned anything from his experience. "Especially me''...above the laws of mere mortals?

Taylor did not go into detail about his legal problems, but he did respond when asked if he was afraid of going to jail.

"That's why we've got judges, we've got trials, we've got people who make decisions [about] what goes on in court," Taylor said. "I'm not worried about anything. That's something for them to handle."

Geez.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Ironically, Defenseless.

To me, he is the Mike Vick of Defensive players.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow...from such a classy guy, and Commander or not a Player I really respected, D.Green to Sean Taylor (yes I know different positions).

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Reality said:
Could you see a normal person saying ... "Why did I not call my boss back? It was the weekend. Yeah, I could have called him back, but it was my day off."

Yes, actually I can imagine that. Not that I would, but I think a vast majority of people are like that. They are just less ambitious/prideful of their work than I.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
He couldn't return Gibb's calls. Over the course of months couldn't find the time to place one call. But it is understandable.

He had "places to go" . (like jail)

Dumb, lazy, irresponsible, disrespectful kid....the comments sound like they are coming not from an adult paid millions to do a job, but from a 13 year old on summer vacation..my time's my own and no one else's.

Juvenile, but I found the following comments much more troubling.

"I don't think anybody should have regrets, especially me," Taylor said. "You don't regret what you do in your life. If you do it, you do it for a reason.

That doesn't sound like someone who has learned anything from his experience. "Especially me''...above the laws of mere mortals?

Geez.

Yeah - that regret comment is the one that jumped out at me. I thought it was rubbish - regrets are a part of life, a necessary one, nonetheless.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
Ironically, Defenseless.

To me, he is the Mike Vick of Defensive players.

How do you get that.

Mike vick has one ALLEGED charge against him, adn gues what he isnt facing time, he was at the rookie symposium, He didnt get over 7,000$ worth of fines because he wants to werar differnt color socks. He returns his coaches calls, he particapates in offseason workouts.

And second taylor is nothing like the playmaker Vick is. Taylor has yet to bring his team to the playoffs, even better a winning record, and how much you want to bet that if taylor isnt on te field there D want suffer as bad as the ENTIRE falcons team did in 2003.

Dont compare and idiot and a cancer like taylor to a playmaker like vick who made one ALLEGED mistake.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Yeah - that regret comment is the one that jumped out at me. I thought it was rubbish - regrets are a part of life, a necessary one, nonetheless.
I might dust off that gem down the road if I'm the Miami DA. Not good to show the jury you have NO regrets about your illegal actions.

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
yeah I read that article today and laughed out loud. Can you only imagine how many people would kill to be playing pro ball and he thinks he doesn't need to be there because "it's the offseason". to see kids in the pic for that article dying for a autograph :eek:get out the pooper scooper!

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
How do you get that.

Mike vick has one ALLEGED charge against him, adn gues what he isnt facing time, he was at the rookie symposium, He didnt get over 7,000$ worth of fines because he wants to werar differnt color socks. He returns his coaches calls, he particapates in offseason workouts.

And second taylor is nothing like the playmaker Vick is. Taylor has yet to bring his team to the playoffs, even better a winning record, and how much you want to bet that if taylor isnt on te field there D want suffer as bad as the ENTIRE falcons team did in 2003.

Dont compare and idiot and a cancer like taylor to a playmaker like vick who made one ALLEGED mistake.
That's exactly the response he was looking for.

He knows as well as we do Vick is the face of the Falcons franchise, and Taylor the poster child for wannabe thugs.

KINGBRICE_28

Reaction score
meh.....he'll turn it around...if not.....

buh-bye.......

I can see him being traded for a 2nd rounder in a couple years.....

it'll be regarded as a bad move even though it would be for the better....lol....

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
I think you guys misunderstood what I was saying.

Have any of you seen Mike Vick in an interview ? Dumb as a box of rocks.
Thus, the comparison to Taylor. He has the same type of mic skills.

It had nothing to do with the type of players, or people they are or what they mean to their respective teams.

You guys sure get worked up around here sometimes. Ask what I meant by it rather than assume I was saying Vick sucked, or was a problem child or thug.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
I think you guys misunderstood what I was saying.

Have any of you seen Mike Vick in an interview ? Dumb as a box of rocks.
Thus, the comparison to Taylor. He has the same type of mic skills.

It had nothing to do with the type of players, or people they are or what they mean to their respective teams.

You guys sure get worked up around here sometimes. Ask what I meant by it rather than assume I was saying Vick sucked, or was a problem child or thug.

Hwo about you clarify what you say

He is the Mike Vick on Defense

How in the world are we suppose to know thats how you were comparing them, why do we have to ask to clarify a post you worte. We didnt assume we made a reponse on an interpitation of your post. Next time clarify it, and there wont be a wrong interpertation

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Just reading those statements (if he was quoted exactly with no artistic interpetations added)makes me have a myriad of feelings...first and foremost is sadness that he feels the need to act and speak like a hoodlum... second would be disappointment...in him, his father & family/friends, church & community they all failed Sean at one time or the other...thirdly would be anger... that sean took the easy way instead of fighting to make himself better...said hey the hoodlum life is for me its so cool...

I doubt any revelation will be coming his way nor do I think he will truly ever get it....One can hope but I wouldn't bet a penny on it happening

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Zaxor said:
Just reading those statements (if he was quoted exactly with no artistic interpetations added)makes me have a myriad of feelings...first and foremost is sadness that he feels the need to act and speak like a hoodlum... second would be disappointment...in him, his father & family/friends, church & community they all failed Sean at one time or the other...thirdly would be anger... that sean took the easy way instead of fighting to make himself better...said hey the hoodlum life is for me its so cool...

I doubt any revelation will be coming his way nor do I think he will truly ever get it....One can hope but I wouldn't bet a penny on it happening

Zax, I don't know much about Taylor's background, but I think you go out on a limb by assuming at some time or other parents, friends, community failed him.

From what I have read, Taylor grew up with a lot more stability than many players..the fact his dad rose so high in law enforcement indicates stability, and family values. Sometimes, no matter what the support system is like, the kid is a bad apple, or more often, his need for peer approval borders on pathological.

This is my 'guess' re Taylor. Like AB, he came from a much more 'suburban', and secure environment that a true inner city kid. But as a result, he lacks certain "street creds". He can't hang with the real survivors, and knows it. And he 's too young and dumb to realize he shouldn't even be trying.

He just wants to be what he perceives as 'cool'.

Cowchick

Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
How do you get that.

PREACH!!!