Seattle playing tough with Minnesota...Burleson signs

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Rush 2112 said:
Things that are completely different quite often aren't the same.

Imagine that.
I never said they were the same circumstance. Did I? I clearly defined the differences. Didn't I?

I said it doesn't make any sense. The teams know what they're getting into. I understand that. I'm simply saying it doesn't balance very well. If that still doesn't register I apologize. I've explained it as clearly as I can.

Rush 2112

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Restricted Free Agent only means that the Vikings have the option of matching the offer and keeping the player.

Steve Hutchinson was a Transition Player.

Something is amiss in this.

Hostile said:
Why would the Seahawks owe the Vikings a 3rd rounder for a Free Agent?

You clearly had a firm grip on the situation.

Sorry for being one of the 3-4 people to help try clearing it up for you.

To answer your question, no you didn't clearly define anything.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Rush 2112 said:
You clearly had a firm grip on the situation.

Sorry for being one of the 3-4 people to help try clearing it up for you.

To answer your question, no you didn't clearly define anything.
Oh excuse me, the word "should" would have described it better.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Restricted Free Agent only means that the Vikings have the option of matching the offer and keeping the player.

Steve Hutchinson was a Transition Player.

Something is amiss in this.
duh, cleared up above.

Eskimo

Reaction score
I suspect the difference lies in the fact the league feels the team that drafts you or develops you as a UDFA should have control over you for about four years - this control is absolute for three years.

After that, they want to allow player movement. That movement can be restricted for one player deemed essential to the franchise - in exchange for restricting the player's freedom the team has to compensate him fairly.

The transition tag was designed for top-10 type players and guaranteed the average of the top 10 salaries. Initially, I thought there used to be one first rounder tied to a transitional player but that requirement was later dropped. I think each team used to be allowed to have one franchise and two transitional players but now is only allowed one franchise player or one transitional player.

In reality, the transitional player tag is pretty useless as the player still has the freedom to move. I don't really know why anyone would bother using it unless they actually didn't have the cap space to afford the difference between the transition and franchise tags - Seattle really butchered this one up and the GM should be held accountable to the FO.

The compensation for the franchise designation is too costly IMO - I think it should be reduced down to one first rounder to allow more movement of elite players who are being "guarded" by their original teams who don't want to commit to a long-term deal. A lot of these guys are coming off their rookie deals and want one good guaranteed payday to set themselves up for the future - and they almost always would be except for the franchise tag.

I also feel the designation should not be allowed to be used in consecutive years on the same player - if you can't sign him after knowing FA was pending for two years, it is probably just best for both parties to part ways. If they are going to allow it to continue, I think the minimum salary increase should be boosted to 40% from 20%.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
The signing bonus they gave him allows them to cut him any time they want to. a 5.25 million dollar signing bonus spread throughout 5 years of his 7 year deal allows them to cut him extremely quickly if they need to.

Rockytop6

Reaction score
Juke99 said:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2006-03-31-notes_x.htm

Notes: Vikings don't match Burleson offer

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A unique fight over restricted free agents between Seattle and Minnesota ended Friday when the Vikings chose not to match the Seahawks' contract offer to receiver Nate Burleson.

Vikings vice president for football operations Rob Brzezinski confirmed the decision, which allowed Burleson to join his hometown team.

"This is a dream come true for Nate," his agent, Ken Sarnoff, said. "That seven years after being named the Seattle High School Athlete of the Year, he now plays for the Seahawks."

Burleson signed an offer sheet last week for a seven-year contract worth up to $49 million, including $5.25 million guaranteed. In response to a similar tactic Minnesota used to sign All-Pro guard Steve Hutchinson to an offer sheet earlier this month, Seattle put a pair of provisions in the deal that would make it impractical for the Vikings to match.

If Burleson plays at least five games in the state of Minnesota or if his annual salary average is more than the average of his team's highest-paid running back, then the entire $49 million would be guaranteed.

The Vikings signed Hutchinson to an offer sheet that the Seahawks didn't match, after an arbitrator ruled that their contract didn't violate the collective bargaining agreement. Hutchinson's seven-year, $49 million deal becomes guaranteed if he's not his team's highest-paid offensive lineman. He had previously been named Seattle's transition player.

These poison pills caused some consternation at the league meetings this week, and outgoing commissioner Paul Tagliabue said such loopholes were "not in the spirit" of the NFL's agreement with the players' union.

But Burleson, who caught 30 passes for 328 yards and one touchdown last season while bothered by multiple injuries, is moving on.

Minnesota is left with Koren Robinson, Troy Williamson, Marcus Robinson and Travis Taylor at receiver, after nobody emerged as a top target in 2005 following the trade of Randy Moss to Oakland. Burleson was expected to be that, after accumulating 1,006 yards receiving and nine touchdowns in 2004.

The Seahawks owe the Vikings a third-round pick, based on Burleson's draft position in 2003. Minnesota now has two third-rounders and two second-rounders.

I love it. The Vikes stuck the poison pill in their contract and walked away with the best OL in the league. Now, Seattle is sticking it back to them. The Vikes deserve it.