Seriously, what do we do about Roy?

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
ROY WILLIAMS--I love this guy (used too) but he has issues.

What is the best solution?

Do we trade him? Change his position? Modify the defensive scheme?

Suggestions?

Thanks Zoners.......:bang2:

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CrazyCowboy;1303505 said:

Suggestions?

Scheme to get to the QB or put more pressure on the QB.

Roy is not great in Coverage, that is a given, but he is not much different than most SS's in the league.

We can not let QBs sit in the pocket all day to make throws.

Roy is not as good as some make him out to be, but he is not as bad as others make him out to be.

You look at Sean Taylor for the Skins, the guy has unquestioned athletic ability...but he is worse in Coverage than Roy is...and he is a FS not a SS.

The one area that he needs to improve on that has nothing to do with pressure or scheme...all on him...is his tackling.

He needs to quit going for a knock out shot and remember to wrap up. Wrapping may not look so cool or get him on Jacked up segments, but it also prevents missing the guy.

I have noticed he has went through spells where he tackles better and other times where he reverts to the kill shot. I think it is his intention to create a spark on the defense and taking the D on his back...although I like that, I would rather him just wrap up and tackle.

yentl911

Reaction score
Don't you think he would be much better with an excellent cover safety over the top? When D. Woodson was here I thought that RW played much better pass D. I think a good cover FS makes a huge difference for RW.

I think RW is a difference maker when he is on his game and someone that I think we should keep around.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1303505 said:

Suggestions?

we hope the next coach will allow him to do what roy does best and build around that. not ask roy to do what he does "ok" and force a system.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Find another Darren Woodson.

See, that was simple.

DipChit

Reaction score
Get an offense like the "good ol days" where we scored 24 just by stepping off the bus.

Then 2 or 3 of these chumpy TD's we give up every week wouldnt even matter.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Keep him in his position, because he's pretty good at it.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
Honestly I think we have two issues in the secondary...Roy and Henry. I want both of them, but used differently.

I think Henry will and should be our FS...he is a decent cover CB, but would be a great ball hawking FS that can run down hill and cover center field. He gets in trouble with the quick and fast WR's. We need another quick fast CB moving Henry to FS...that covers one hole.

If that hole gets fixed then moving Roy up to LOS where he belongs more of the time will help alleviate Roys weakness...

In addition to that I whink Carp needs to move inside because he can cover MUCH better then Bradie.

Making those moves would improve our coverage and speed INHO...

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Sign or draft Ware's compliment.

Better blitz package.

Let Watkins mature.

zeromaster

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1303517 said:
The one area that he needs to improve on that has nothing to do with pressure or scheme...all on him...is his tackling.

He needs to quit going for a knock out shot and remember to wrap up. Wrapping may not look so cool or get him on Jacked up segments, but it also prevents missing the guy.

I have noticed he has went through spells where he tackles better and other times where he reverts to the kill shot. I think it is his intention to create a spark on the defense and taking the D on his back...although I like that, I would rather him just wrap up and tackle.
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Absolutely. I'll give hime credit for trying to get a hand out to stop Alexander when he broke thru the line late in the game, but it was too little too late.

If you are a solid tackler on a good defensive team, it will get its notice given a little time. Like I said in another thread a few days ago, Roy needs to talk to Woody and figure out what he can do to improve.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Make him lose about 10 to 15 lbs had hope he can regain his quickness from his rookie year.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
yentl911;1303518 said:
Don't you think he would be much better with an excellent cover safety over the top? When D. Woodson was here I thought that RW played much better pass D. I think a good cover FS makes a huge difference for RW.

I think RW is a difference maker when he is on his game and someone that I think we should keep around.

I agree with you; but, I know you realize Darren Woodson's are not just laying around the club house.

I don't see any FA at safety who will correct our problems.

I thought about moving Henry to FS and draft or sign a great CB.

Thoughts? Stupid or might work?:rolleyes:

TEK2000

Reaction score
I already said what I think in my RW thread.

Implement a defenisive scheme that puts him in position to use his strengths and minimizes his weaknesses.

JBS

Reaction score
we sign a defensive coordinator who has half of a brain and isnt going to allow other teams to make adjustments at the LOS (knowing that we wont make them defensively) to single out Roy in Coverage. Im 100% convinced we have the players on defense to be successful. At the same time im 100% convinced the coaching/schemes were the reason our defense hasnt been.

conner01

Reaction score
roy can't cover a recievers 25 yds down the field. most strrong safeties can't. get a pass rush and he won't have too

Canada180

bannedontherun88
Reaction score
Get some frikkin pressure on opposing QB's and our whole secondary will look just fine thank you