shaMOCKery (revised)

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I'm keeping this one for awhile:)

22. Kansas CB Aqib Talib*

big corner w/ better than advertised speed, one of the most exceptional playmakers in this draft, is athletic w/ an explosive burst to close on the ball, willing in run-support

NFL comparison: Anthony Henry

28. ECU RB Chris Johnson*

quintessential 3rd-down back w/ Brian Westbrook starting-potential, fast, explosive back w/ good vision and lateral movement, loses no speed in his cuts in the open field, is a willing inside runner who drives his legs, and has a strong upper-body that allows him to break tackles once he's through the hole, an exceptional receiver out of the backfield, as well as a premier kick-off returner, still has room to bulk up

NFL comparison: Brian Westbrook

60. Vanderbilt WR Earl Bennett

well-built, self-described possession receiver because of his route-running and the ability to catch the ball, but has the speed and quickness to eat up cushions and stretch teams deep, catches the ball at it's highest point, versatile receiver who isn't afraid to go over the middle, and is a YAC threat possessing vision, acceleration and strength, the SEC's all-time receptions leader

keep in mind that Dallas likes to pluck successful players from the SEC

3rd. Iowa State DT Ahtyba Rubin

short, hulking, powerful DT who is great against the run and battling Olinemen, has the ability to split-double team blocks

4th. Kent State CB Jack Williams

last year I had a man-crush on Jack's teammate Usama Young, who was taken by the Chiefs in the 4th round, although not quite the athlete that Young is, Jack is no slouch, has 4.3 speed and changes directions quickly to stick w/ receivers, allowing him to match-up well w/ Wes Welker-types, has a great burst to close on the ball and ball-carrier, had 70 solo tackles in '07, is a special team's ace on kick-off and punt-coverage units

5th. Virginia Tech OLB Chris Ellis*

prototypical 3-4 OLB w/ a great size/speed ratio, is exceptional at getting into the backfield and getting after the QB, holds his own against the run, has a special teams coverage background coming from VTech

6th. Georgia C/OG Fernando Velasco

huge, mauling C who has played all 3 interior line positions, has a strong hand-punch that can neutralize defenders, also projects as an in-line drive-blocker at OG

7th. LSU QB Matt Flynn

heady QB w/ the size and athleticism to play in this league, makes good decisions w/ the ball...usually...and leads his receivers, has lots of big-game experience in a Pro-Style offense, so will be ready to backup Romo right away

*players in bold are ones that Dallas have expressed interest in

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Johnson doesn't compare to Westbrook at all. Seriously, that's just ********.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I have questions about Talib but I guess there questions about everyone.

I hear the JohnsonWestbrook comparism alot on other boards, but I'm not sure about that. I like him more than theogt--who thinks he is a straight ahead runner/sprinter--but Westbrook (IMO) is very special. I hear the "stronger" Wille Parker comp more often. Not sure I sould take him in Rd1 though.

I would like a deep threat at WR, but any extra quality would help.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1996963 said:

take it up w/ Drew Boylhart then

I don't see how he doesn't, both are explosive, versatile runners who came into the NFL at about the same size, Westbrook being a few pounds heavier

you don't like Chris Johnson, we get it

DFWJC;1997008 said:
I have questions about Talib but I guess there questions about everyone.

he needs to stop biting on double-moves, that's for sure, the only sure-fire corner is Antoine Cason, and he may be gone before 22

DFWJC said:
I hear the JohnsonWestbrook comparism alot on other boards, but I'm not sure about that. I like him more than theogt--who thinks he is a straight ahead runner/sprinter--but Westbrook (IMO) is very special. I hear the "stronger" Wille Parker comp more often. Not sure I sould take him in Rd1 though.

end of round 1 is a good spot, he won't be there at 60

DFWJC said:
I would like a deep threat at WR, but any extra quality would help.

Bennett has the speed and quickess to get deep, and he catches balls at their highest points

DFWJC

Reaction score
he needs to stop biting on double-moves, that's for sure, the only sure-fire corner is Antoine Cason, and he may be gone before 22

Certainly that, but his general footwork seems poor too. Maybe his technique can be coached up at the next level because he has serious potential.

I really like CJ as runner, reciever, and return guy...and i think he is good enough in all of those areas to make it at the next level. Round 1 just seems high...maybe a trade up into mid round 2 would do it, or we if J Charles is still around, nab him in late Rd 2?

Bennett has the speed and quickess to get deep, and he catches balls at their highest points[/quote]

I'll take you word for it.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
Oh I rather like this

22. Kansas CB Aqib Talib*

I've said a lot about Talib in the past so I won't bother here. One of the only 3 CBs I think is worth a first round pick.

ECU RB Chris Johnson*

Johnson fell from my graces a bit after looking at each carry he had one at a time. Seemed like he was really boosting his YPC by one or two long runs whole most of his runs were for a loss or a negligible gain. That said I love his versatility and think he could add an interesting wrinkle to the offensive scheme. I think he has better inside running ability that some people give him credit for but it may take him a little while to come around as a RB. Still fine with the pick though because he can contribute in other ways until then.

60. Vanderbilt WR Earl Bennett

Really just kind of an average athlete, but a really really interesting player. I mean he's the all time leading WR in the SEC and has been productive since his freshman year. Very quick off the ball, great route runner and the burst to come out of his routes and very good hands. Bennett isn't the deep threat that everyone seems to want but he's a really high quality player who I would be 100% of with drafting.

3rd. Iowa State DT Ahtyba Rubin

Big, powerful mountain of a man who would be a terrific fit as a NT for us. Not an overly disruptive player but his size and strength allows him to eat up blocks and let others be disruptive. I'd love this pick.

Another player who I really like. I think Williams may never be anything more than a subpackage CB, but I really think he could excel. He's an underrated guy in my opinion and I have him with a third round talent grade.

I've already commented on Ellis, Velasco and Flynn in the past, but I like them all. I would really be excited if the draft went like this.

L-O-Jete

Reaction score
I want a punt returner, but really like what you have even though I'm not a Talib fan, please find a way to squeeze in a PR so I can get all giddy like a teenager at a concert...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
DFWJC;1997109 said:

Certainly that, but his general footwork seems poor too. Maybe his technique can be coached up at the next level because he has serious potential.

true dat, that's why he reminds me so much of Henry, both are big, both are physical, and both are great playmakers

as well as both bite on double-moves and their footwork isn't the greatest

DFWJC said:

I really like CJ as runner, reciever, and return guy...and i think he is good enough in all of those areas to make it at the next level. Round 1 just seems high...maybe a trade up into mid round 2 would do it, or we if J Charles is still around, nab him in late Rd 2?

I don't like doing trade-downs, and I have CJ in my draft because Dallas has expressed some serious interest in him, as well as that fact that he would find a nice niche as the 3rd down back behind Barber

masomenos85;1997110 said:
Oh I rather like this

Another player who I really like. I think Williams may never be anything more than a subpackage CB, but I really think he could excel. He's an underrated guy in my opinion and I have him with a third round talent grade.

what I really like about Jack is that he could be one of our gunners instantly, the dude caused 5 fumbles in '06, as well as the fact that he had 70 solo tackles this year, which I already posted, so he's quite good at initiating contact, and can get down there in a hurry

and he'd be alot better guarding quick guys like Wes Welker than Jacque Reeves and esp. Nate Jones

you're right, Bennett isn't the deep-threat that everyone wants, but he has the quickness and burst coming out of his routes, and the speed to become one, the fact that he's also a great route-runner and knows how to set D-backs up will only help him more

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
L-O-Jete;1997144 said:
I want a punt returner, but really like what you have even though I'm not a Talib fan, please find a way to squeeze in a PR so I can get all giddy like a teenager at a concert...

I was thinking about putting Texas A&M DT Red Bryant in the 2nd and Appalacian State WR/PR Dexter Jackson in the 3rd

if that makes you feel any better:)

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theogt
take it up w/ Drew Boylhart then

I don't see how he doesn't, both are explosive, versatile runners who came into the NFL at about the same size, Westbrook being a few pounds heavier

you don't like Chris Johnson, we get it

Cause Westbrook has the great open field moves where Johnson does not come close to him, that's why It's horrible to compare him to Westbrook IMO!
Reminds me of Herschel Walker, now hold on, I mean Herschel towards the end of his career where he'd return kickoffs cause he still had the speed, and didn't really run with any "MOVES" but still had that straight away speed, that's who he reminds me of, Herschel late in his career with more speed and less bulk!
Just reminds me of Herschel the way he runs, and like I said the Herschel LATE in his career, not the one we had, tip toes, find a creaee and hits it fast and not many "moves" in the open field, which is why I don't think he's anyhting like Westbrook cause Westbrook is a nifty shifty R.B. woh can make a lot of people miss, I dont' see CJ making many people miss him in the open field, at least not like Westbrook does!

DFWJC

Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;1997255 said:
Cause Westbrook has the great open field moves where Johnson does not come close to him, that's why It's horrible to compare him to Westbrook IMO!
Reminds me of Herschel Walker, now hold on, I mean Herschel towards the end of his career where he'd return kickoffs cause he still had the speed, and didn't really run with any "MOVES" but still had that straight away speed, that's who he reminds me of, Herschel late in his career with more speed and less bulk!
Just reminds me of Herschel the way he runs, and like I said the Herschel LATE in his career, not the one we had, tip toes, find a creaee and hits it fast and not many "moves" in the open field, which is why I don't think he's anyhting like Westbrook cause Westbrook is a nifty shifty R.B. woh can make a lot of people miss, I dont' see CJ making many people miss him in the open field, at least not like Westbrook does!

No offense, but......Hershall Walker? Come on now. I too think Westbrook may be niftier in the open field than Johnson. But Walker had very few moves and amazing speed and power. He was a beast with track speed. CJ has plenty of moves, is a great reciever out of the backfield, has great speed, is strong for his size,but is in no way a power runner.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
No offense, but......Hershall Walker? Come on now. I too think Westbrook may be niftier in the open field than Johnson. But Walker had very few moves and amazing speed and power. He was a beast with track speed. CJ has plenty of moves, is a great reciever out of the backfield, has great speed, is strong for his size,but is in no way a power runner.

OBVIOUSLY you missed where I said he reminds me of Herschel LATE in his career with less bulk!
Cause Herschel ran without many moves and with just great straight line speed and was a very good receiver.

I'm talkin about running style is all!
He has little moves like Herschel and has the same freakish straight line speed once he gets going is all.
I was trying to thik of an NFL back he compared too, it's not Westbrook, and I was trying to thinki of someoen with such gfreat speed at the R.B. position without much open field moves, and Herschel popped up, especially the Herschel LATE in his career!

I don't think CJ has PLENTY of moves either!

DFWJC

Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;1997340 said:
OBVIOUSLY you missed where I said he reminds me of Herschel LATE in his career with less bulk!
Cause Herschel ran without many moves and with just great straight line speed and was a very good receiver.

I'm talkin about running style is all!
He has little moves like Herschel and has the same freakish straight line speed once he gets going is all.
I was trying to thik of an NFL back he compared too, it's not Westbrook, and I was trying to thinki of someoen with such gfreat speed at the R.B. position without much open field moves, and Herschel popped up, especially the Herschel LATE in his career!

I don't think CJ has PLENTY of moves either!

I hear you....I think he looks more like a stronger version of Wille Parker though.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
DFWJC;1997386 said:
I hear you....I think he looks more like a stronger version of Wille Parker though.

STRONGER? or do you mean faster?
Willie Parker is a good assessment I think!
Cause if you think he's stronger then Parker and clearly he'as faster tehn Parker, so if he's a stronger AND Faster version of willie parker, that would be something, just dont' think he's go thte MOVES though.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
I like this draft im not to high on Talib nemore but don't mind the pick really. I like the CJ pick. Earl Bennent is flying under the radar i don't know why maybe because he went to Vandy however I like him he's shorter and not as fast as i would like him to be however still don't mind the pick i think he might be there in round 3. You really think Cason will be gone be4 22 i find that hard to believe. I think Cason will be there and since he doesn't have that elite speed is what is holding him back but he does have all the tools and measerubles

Bigdog

Reaction score
I had concerns re:Talib's speed but he appears to improve on this. Love the Dt from Iowa St. Excellent pick. I have read some good stuff re: the CB from Kent St. Just wondering about the CB from UConn. I can't think of his name but I also read some good stuff re:him and he could be moving up the draft board come April. Any way nice effort. I woulod give this a solid draft.

DFWJC

Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;1997457 said:
STRONGER? or do you mean faster?
Willie Parker is a good assessment I think!
Cause if you think he's stronger then Parker and clearly he'as faster tehn Parker, so if he's a stronger AND Faster version of willie parker, that would be something, just dont' think he's go thte MOVES though.

Agreed, if he turned out to be as good as Parker than that's near the top in the league in rushing...so that's wishful thinking. Parker, I think, is the fastest RB in the NFL, but he too should share carries. His strength is so-so. CJ is very strong--benching 350--but certainly not as strong as Stewart of Oregon. He's also slightly faster than Parker. For now, I have CJ slotted like most others--that is as a 15-20 play/game guy with upside due to home run ability and receiving.
I guess we'll see.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Are you predicting that Cason is off the board at 22?

I tend to be conservative about certain things, so I would be a little reluctant to take CJ in the first, but my previous drafts have all ... well, shall we say, haven't been very accurate ... so what do I know.

Really like the Bennett pick in the third. He's not getting as much press as some of the other WRs but he's consistently put up good numbers with mediocre QB play in a tough conference.

L-O-Jete

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1997149 said:
I was thinking about putting Texas A&M DT Red Bryant in the 2nd and Appalacian State WR/PR Dexter Jackson in the 3rd

if that makes you feel any better:)

Ithink Rubin in the 3rd is way better value than Bryant in the 2nd, and Dexter Jackson would not settle the need at Wr like Bennet:( like the end version better...
Back to the drawing board:)

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Bigdog;1997724 said:
I had concerns re:Talib's speed but he appears to improve on this. Love the Dt from Iowa St. Excellent pick. I have read some good stuff re: the CB from Kent St. Just wondering about the CB from UConn. I can't think of his name but I also read some good stuff re:him and he could be moving up the draft board come April. Any way nice effort. I woulod give this a solid draft.

and Tyvon Branch is his name-o, I was actually debating between him and Jack, but Jack has a little more wiggle which gave him the edge, Branch is a straight-line guy, but he's a heck of a player, wouldn't be mad at all if he was our pick, both play the same way, tough and physical

Sasquatch;1998077 said:
Are you predicting that Cason is off the board at 22?

I tend to be conservative about certain things, so I would be a little reluctant to take CJ in the first, but my previous drafts have all ... well, shall we say, haven't been very accurate ... so what do I know.

Really like the Bennett pick in the third. He's not getting as much press as some of the other WRs but he's consistently put up good numbers with mediocre QB play in a tough conference.

yes, I am predicting that Cason is off the board before 22, he's my #1 CB, the most polished CB in this draft w/ more than enough speed, plus he's a playmaker and can add a very good punt-returner dimension

I'm taking CJ in the 1st, because he probably will contribute more than any RB that we could draft

btw, I have Bennett as our 2nd round pick :)

L-O-Jete;1998150 said:
Ithink Rubin in the 3rd is way better value than Bryant in the 2nd, and Dexter Jackson would not settle the need at Wr like Bennet:( like the end version better...
Back to the drawing board:)

thanks, I like it too