Shanle was traded to New Orleans last August for a conditional draft choice.

keithshepherd

Reaction score
Saints sign LB Shanle to four-year extensionBy Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Moving to retain a key young defensive player who helped spur their resurgence in 2006, the New Orleans Saints on Friday night signed starting weakside linebacker Scott Shanle to a four-year contract extension.

Scott Shanle
Linebacker
New Orleans Saints

2006 SEASON STATISTICS
Tot Ast Solo FF Sack Int
98 74 24 1 4 0

The extension runs through the 2010 season. Without it, Shanle would have been eligible for unrestricted free agency March 2, and, given his play last season, he would have drawn interest from other suitors.

Financial details of the extension were not immediately available, but Shanle likely received a substantial boost after playing the 2006 season for a base salary of $721,600.

"Making sure Scott returned to our team was one of our priorities entering the offseason," general manager Mickey Loomis said. "He is a player who is an integral part of the group that we want to build around. This is a really positive way to get 2007 started."

A four-year veteran, Shanle entered the NFL as a seventh-round choice of the St. Louis Rams in 2003. When the former Nebraska standout was released by St. Louis, he was claimed by the Dallas Cowboys on waivers.

After spending the first three seasons of his career with the Cowboys, appearing in 37 games with 11 starts, Shanle was traded to New Orleans last August for a conditional draft choice.
In the revamped Saints defense, Shanle appeared in all 16 games, starting all but one. He registered 117 tackles, second most on the team, and led New Orleans in solo tackles with 77. Shanle also had four sacks, one pass defended and a forced fumble.

For his career, Shanle has 236 tackles, 6½ sacks and four passes

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
I believe it was for a 6th or 7th rounder so I wouldn't get too excited. It was first reported to be a 4th round pick, which would have been great, but that was inaccurate reporting.

I wish we would have kept him and let Bradie James go.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
THUMPER;1370876 said:
The Bradie of '05 was much better than the Bradie of '06. My bet is Phillips will be able turn his game back around.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1370888 said:
The Bradie of '05 was much better than the Bradie of '06. My bet is Phillips will be able turn his game back around.

and better than the Shanle of...ever

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
THUMPER;1370876 said:
I believe it was for a 6th or 7th rounder so I wouldn't get too excited. It was first reported to be a 4th round pick, which would have been great, but that was inaccurate reporting.

It's a 7th.

CowboyJeff

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1370888 said:

:hammer:

Reaction score
Written by Len Pasquarelli, ESPN.com
Wednesday, 23 August 2006
Hoping to bolster their shaky linebacker corps, the New Orleans Saints on Wednesday acquired fourth-year veteran Scott Shanle from the Dallas Cowboys in exchange for a fourth-round choice in the 2007 draft.

Shanle, 26, appeared in 15 games for the Cowboys in 2005, starting seven contests at inside linebacker in the Dallas 3-4 alignment. He registered 50 tackles, 1½ sacks and two passes defensed. But he was rendered extraneous when the Cowboys added veteran Akin Ayodele in free agency this spring and chose Bobby Carpenter in the first round of the draft.

The Saints need help at linebacker, and it will not be surprising if Shanle challenges for a starting job by the start of the regular season. Even with a dramatically overhauled linebacker corps, the Saints have struggled to find defenders who can play "downhill" to the ball. It will be interesting to see where the New Orleans coaches use Shanle, who can probably play in the middle or on the strongside in the team's 4-3 front.

Saints defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs was the Dallas linebackers coach the past three seasons and knows Shanle well.

New Orleans officials probably aren't done yet trying to address the shaky linebacker situation. It is believed the Saints are still seeking to add San Diego linebacker Donnie Edwards, who has fallen out of favor with the Chargers, in a trade. New Orleans reportedly offered a fourth-round pick for the 10-year veteran, but the Chargers are holding out for a first-day draft choice.

Read More: ESPN.com

http://www.saintsrevolution.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=67&Itemid=2

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Hostile;1370922 said:
It's a 7th.
The screwy thing was that Parcells claimed that they got a "quality" pick for Shanle. When did a 7th become "quality"?

ddh33

Reaction score
Relatively speaking, any pick is better than nothing. nothing is probably what Dallas was headed for since he wasn't going to make the team with all of the new LBs.

It is funny to hear people complaining about it now, but while he was here, a lot of fans despised Shanle. He was always better than most realized and never as good as one guy thought.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
ddh33;1370962 said:
Relatively speaking, any pick is better than nothing. nothing is probably what Dallas was headed for since he wasn't going to make the team with all of the new LBs.

It is funny to hear people complaining about it now, but while he was here, a lot of fans despised Shanle. He was always better than most realized and never as good as one guy thought.

In a nutshell = above post. Nice.

Skip

Reaction score
THUMPER;1370876 said:

He THUMPER how is it going? I see you and bdc are both on this thread. I don't think bdc even knows about my son. I should have looked him up to tell him about it.

Anyway great to see you guys!