Shaun Phillips...(RFA)

WhizKid

Reaction score
I believe I read somewhere that Shaun Phillips is a RFA this offseason...Now I'm not to familiar with what a restricted free agent is, but I'm hoping someone here can explain it to me. The reason I bring this up is that the one guy everybody here seems to be wanting to get this offseason to fill that OLB spot opposite Ware is Adalius Thomas. Although I am not against it I believe that if we can, we should make a run for Phillips. He's turnig 25 in May which makes him younger than Adalius Thomas, and he's also a great pass-rusher, thats my opinion though. He has progressed in EVERY stat in each year including sacks, yr1:4 sacks, yr2:8 sacks, yr3:11.5 sacks. He seems to play with a lot of heart and puts a lot of pressure on the QB. In my opinion I feel this is who we should go for in the offseason. He could be here longer than what AT could; AT will be 30 soon and i say we need to go younger...

with that being said, does RFA prevent us in any way?

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
da_whiz_kid;1315880 said:
I believe I read somewhere that Shaun Phillips is a RFA this offseason...Now I'm not to familiar with what a restricted free agent is, but I'm hoping someone here can explain it to me. The reason I bring this up is that the one guy everybody here seems to be wanting to get this offseason to fill that OLB spot opposite Ware is Adalius Thomas. Although I am not against it I believe that if we can, we should make a run for Phillips. He's turnig 25 in May which makes him younger than Adalius Thomas, and he's also a great pass-rusher, thats my opinion though. He has progressed in EVERY stat in each year including sacks, yr1:4 sacks, yr2:8 sacks, yr3:11.5 sacks. He seems to play with a lot of heart and puts a lot of pressure on the QB. In my opinion I feel this is who we should go for in the offseason. He could be here longer than what AT could; AT will be 30 soon and i say we need to go younger...

with that being said, does RFA prevent us in any way?

RFA means that team A can match any offer that is signed by their player. And if said team A does not match, draft picks from team B could go to team A as compensation depending on players draft position.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
RFA means that, depending on the sort of offer the Chargers make to Phillips, if another team signed him they would owe a pick -- in Phillips' case it is likely going to end up that whoever signs him owes the Chargers a 1st rounder -- he's a nice player but that is too much to invest in a guy who may have had his numbers jump b/c he's got such good talent around him.

WhizKid

Reaction score
abersonc;1315889 said:
RFA means that, depending on the sort of offer the Chargers make to Phillips, if another team signed him they would owe a pick -- in Phillips' case it is likely going to end up that whoever signs him owes the Chargers a 1st rounder -- he's a nice player but that is too much to invest in a guy who may have had his numbers jump b/c he's got such good talent around him.

ok thanks... If its gonna cost a first that just might be to much.

blindzebra

Reaction score
I'd gladly give up a 2nd round pick, hell probably a 1st for him.

Him flipping sides with Ware just like he does with Merriman, allowing us to move Carpenter inside to replace James, it would be a great move IMO

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
like ab said, it depends on the offer they make to Phillips, and they can put the highest RFA tag on him that would require a 1st and 3rd as compensation

I wouldn't do it

WhizKid

Reaction score
So now we have Wade Phillips. Although some have already stated that it might take a first to get Shaun Phillips, does WP being here help in anyway for us to get Shaun here? Is it possible we can get him for a second?... I think a second round draft pick is well worth it and I would do it in a heartbeat. Thoughts?

If we can get him here that would definately take care or the other OLB spot.

rojan

Reaction score
With Jerry as the GM we mayas well trade all our draft pcisk for up and coming players.

I would do it for a 2nd in a heartbeat..Im not shure about a 1st though.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
da_whiz_kid;1367428 said:
So now we have Wade Phillips. Although some have already stated that it might take a first to get Shaun Phillips, does WP being here help in anyway for us to get Shaun here? Is it possible we can get him for a second?... I think a second round draft pick is well worth it and I would do it in a heartbeat. Thoughts?

If we can get him here that would definately take care or the other OLB spot.

It won't be a 2nd. the chargers will qualify him at the highest level. they aren't stoopid.

WhizKid

Reaction score
rojan;1367451 said:
With Jerry as the GM we mayas well trade all our draft pcisk for up and coming players.

I would do it for a 2nd in a heartbeat..Im not shure about a 1st though.

Second would be GREAT. Do you think SD would accept a second though?

WhizKid

Reaction score
abersonc;1367461 said:
It won't be a 2nd. the chargers will qualify him at the highest level. they aren't stoopid.

sure they are......NOT!....(sorry Borat moment)...lol...

WhizKid

Reaction score
smarta5150;1367469 said:
I would rather draft Moss or Spencer in the 1st and save a 2nd.

true...I guess what I'm getting at is Phillips is a proven player who seems to be improving every year in every aspesct of his game. Maybe there is so much hype in merriman in SD that phillips could be overlooked... then again could be wishful thinking...

AbeBeta

Reaction score
da_whiz_kid;1367462 said:
Second would be GREAT. Do you think SD would accept a second though?

it isn't a trade. they qualify him at a certain level that determines compensation - there isn't a huge cap difference between a 1st or 2nd round offer -- and every team in the league has mega cap bucks right now

WhizKid

Reaction score
abersonc;1367478 said:
it isn't a trade. they qualify him at a certain level that determines compensation - there isn't a huge cap difference between a 1st or 2nd round offer -- and every team in the league has mega cap bucks right now

good point...guess I still didn't get the exact understanding of RFA. with that being said, can you trade for a player that is a RFA?