Should the Draft be before FA period

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mailbag-should-draft-be-before-free-agency

One of the answers, hit the Jones' theory on the head. Though many fans want to hit them on the head regardless. :laugh:

Anyway, they sign the bargain basement types, then hit on a player in the draft. If not to replace them right away, but for the next season. Such as the Fehoko types.

Of course they want to get solid players all the way around, FA and the draft. You need to get at least a starter with the 1st pick, 2nd or a lot of playing time, especially with the 3rd round. After that, some contributions for the 1st year from a few others.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would think the players want FA before the draft, which helps those vets get new jobs.
And it drives up the contracts. If after the draft, if a team feels it found their player. They will not negotiate with FA's, or not offer as much.

This would probably be in the CBA as well. The NFLPA would strongly be against that happening.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The owners would say yes. The players would say no.

I don't see it ever changing especially when the topic isn't brought up.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Imagine the running back market if that happened? They'd end up making leauge minimums.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Yes! I think it would be an advantage for the players. Teams will know it is their last chance to improve their roster. For example, if you miss out on getting a top WR your team needs, either sign a free agent or you out of luck.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I MENTIONED THIS a bit ago!! I think it surely should be this way

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Like others have mentioned, the players would throw a fit as it would result in less money for them. I'm a little surprised they were able to even get the rookie contracts under control.

Creeper

Reaction score
I understand why they do it the way they do, but I think it makes more sense to have the draft first and free agency afterwards.

But teams know the order so they can prepare for the draft by filling holes using free agency then drafting BPA. Only badly managed teams bypass free agency for the draft.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Like others have mentioned, the players would throw a fit as it would result in less money for them. I'm a little surprised they were able to even get the rookie contracts under control.
Thank jemarcus russell and a few others for spear heading this, they were coming in making MORE than the players in the league which wasn't cool at all

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I understand why they do it the way they do, but I think it makes more sense to have the draft first and free agency afterwards.

But teams know the order so they can prepare for the draft by filling holes using free agency then drafting BPA. Only badly managed teams bypass free agency for the draft.
I wouldn't know any teams that do that!!!!! :muttley:

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
It would make more sense to have FA period after the draft. But I doubt that gets changed anytime soon.
what you have before going in is better than not knowing. It gives you leverage to move.

Big_D

Reaction score
I think it’s better to fill a few holes before the draft.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I think it makes too much sense for the draft to be early we don't need this long of a look at these college kids they all have tape they played two to three years of college even if they didn't they still have a lot of tape they go to the combine they have a few pro days and then we don't need two more months to evaluate This is why teams overthink and why guys get overlooked and they dropped really far in the draft because they thought themselves out of the pit everybody starts sharing their mock drafts and the red flags on players...

In my opinion to build the team properly it will be better to draft first then see what true holes that you have and then you still can go pay top free agents they come in here they act like no they won't get the same amount of money or looks that's not true it'll just be different teams that will be picking them versus maybe a team that would have got them early now got that guy in the draft but somebody's still gonna need some of the top free agents or any free agents... Being the draft is much more of a unknown like who you're gonna get who's gonna follow you it should be first the free agents are there there's a list that's not gonna change it's a actual fact that you have all the knowledge of the free agents who are available but you don't know how the drafts gonna go therefore the draft should be first...​

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I like FA before the draft. Fill some holes on the roster so you aren't drafting solely based on need.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
IMO it really shouldn't matter.

The Draft shouldn't be about filling hole or worrying about getting immediate starters. If you NEED a rookie to start for your team, then you're not a good team, and you shouldn't be wasting money in FA anyway.

Use FA to fill "holes".

Use the Draft to build the 5 to 10 year foundation of your team...regardless of what ur current temporary perceived holes are. Just Draft good players, and worry about how to fit them in later....it's really not that complicated.