SI Chats with Rickey who's 195# and "Doesn't know" if he wants to return.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
I don't think he's got his head on straight yet he says he's doesn't know then he says he has 4000 yards left in him before he walks away again. Make up your mind already.

Weighty issues
Slimmed-down Ricky Williams considers comeback
Posted: Friday May 20, 2005 11:53AM; Updated: Friday May 20, 2005 3:13PM

Before you Dolphins fans, fantasy geeks and hemp manufacturers get all hot and bothered over Ricky Williams' possible return to the NFL, here's a number you might want to consider: 195.

That's how much Williams currently weighs, 40 pounds less than his playing weight in Miami, before the positive drug test, the stunning retirement, the overseas trips, the stint in the Indian healing institute and the servitude of a swami -- but we're getting ahead of ourselves.

In an instant-messaging session with Williams on Wednesday, I asked the former All-Pro halfback whether he planned to play football again, and his answer was, "I honestly do not know."

He conceded that he'd had numerous telephone conversations with Miami coach Nick Saban, who called Williams' mother to track down the phone number at the small house the erstwhile runner and ayurveda student rents in Nevada City, an artsy town in the Sierra foothills of Northern California. Williams has a favorable impression of the new Dolphins boss, referring to him as "smart" and "interesting" and comparing him to Saban's friend Bill Belichick.

Williams, as published reports suggest, has gotten the distinct impression he'd be welcomed back by Saban if he were to decide to play in 2005, even though the Dolphins used the second overall pick in the draft on former Auburn running back Ronnie Brown. In Williams' eyes, he can offer Miami a pair of very productive seasons before stepping aside to make room for Brown and reverting to retirement.

"I've still got 4,000 yards left in me," Williams wrote, meaning two years at 2,000 per. "Who is gonna turn that down?"

Obviously, it's not that simple. There's the weight issue, along with the marijuana factor. Williams would likely face a four-game suspension upon ending his retirement, and he'd either have to alter his recreational habits or get something a hell of a lot more effective at beating drug tests than Onterrio Smith's "The Original Whizzinator."

There's also the question of how Williams would be received by his teammates, many of whom felt he abandoned them when he abruptly retired just before the start of training camp last year. He accepts the fact that there will be locker-room backlash but doesn't think it's anything he can't handle -- especially once he reminds them of his toughness during games. Certainly, most fans of the team are bitter in the wake of the disaster that was 2004. Yet something tells me that both groups, now that time has passed, might cut Williams some slack. So much has happened since he left -- Dave Wannstedt's resignation, Saban's coronation, the jettisoning of Jay Fielder, the drafting of Brown -- that it's almost as if Williams would be returning to a different franchise.

Besides, as Williams correctly pointed out, on-field heroics can cover up a lot of sins. Even among the most ardent Ricky bashers, the first time he takes a handoff, bursts through the line of scrimmage, bounces off a linebacker and outraces everyone to the end zone, it will be greeted with unabashed cheers.

To put it another way: The same guys yelling, "You suck, pothead!" will then be begging, "Please, Mr. Williams, will you sign my Zig-Zags?"

Williams finds it odd that so many people seem to chastise him more than they do those players who've tested positive for steroids, and he is heartened that he has achieved some of the clarity he sought when he bolted 10 months ago. "It took me almost a year to figure out the reason for quitting," he wrote. "The analogy I came up with was that I was renting my life. I needed to go out and make a down payment so I would stop wasting money."

Do you now own your own life? I asked.

"So many of us cannot decipher between who we are and what we do," he answered. "I am in the process of negotiating with the mortgage company."

That would seem to suggest that Williams is strongly considering a comeback, but there's a side of him that remains far, far removed from the NFL lifestyle. He recently spent six weeks in India as the attendant for Swami Sitaramananda, a Vietnamese woman he met after participating in one of her fellow swami's yoga classes at the California College of Ayurveda. Williams ultimately dropped out of school and began studying under Swami Sitaramananda.

"She has an amazing ability to understand my mind, to know what I am thinking," Williams wrote, adding that since he has returned from India, "I am in culture shock. I'm having a tough time dealing with regular folk."

While in India Williams witnessed something that he came to view as an allegory, one that may or may not shed some light onto his future plans. "I tell the story of the frustrated monkey," Williams wrote. "He wanted some cookies so bad, he put his hand in the jar, grabbed a big handful. Then, when he couldn't get his hand out, he became very angry."

And how did Williams react?

"I told him to just let the cookies go."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/michael_silver/05/20/silver.ricky/index.html

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Nothing against you for posting the article, jksmith... But boy am I sick of of hearing about Ricky Williams. Will this story every go away?

jksmith269

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
Nothing against you for posting the article, jksmith... But boy am I sick of of hearing about Ricky Williams. Will this story every go away?
Honestly the only reason I posted it is because ESPN painted it as he was ready to come back with out even talking with him. I'm getting where I can't stand ESPN

jimmy40

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
I don't think he's got his head on straight yet he says he's doesn't know then he says he has 4000 yards left in him before he walks away again. Make up your mind already.

Weighty issues
Slimmed-down Ricky Williams considers comeback
Posted: Friday May 20, 2005 11:53AM; Updated: Friday May 20, 2005 3:13PM

Before you Dolphins fans, fantasy geeks and hemp manufacturers get all hot and bothered over Ricky Williams' possible return to the NFL, here's a number you might want to consider: 195.

That's how much Williams currently weighs, 40 pounds less than his playing weight in Miami, before the positive drug test, the stunning retirement, the overseas trips, the stint in the Indian healing institute and the servitude of a swami -- but we're getting ahead of ourselves.

In an instant-messaging session with Williams on Wednesday, I asked the former All-Pro halfback whether he planned to play football again, and his answer was, "I honestly do not know."

He conceded that he'd had numerous telephone conversations with Miami coach Nick Saban, who called Williams' mother to track down the phone number at the small house the erstwhile runner and ayurveda student rents in Nevada City, an artsy town in the Sierra foothills of Northern California. Williams has a favorable impression of the new Dolphins boss, referring to him as "smart" and "interesting" and comparing him to Saban's friend Bill Belichick.

Williams, as published reports suggest, has gotten the distinct impression he'd be welcomed back by Saban if he were to decide to play in 2005, even though the Dolphins used the second overall pick in the draft on former Auburn running back Ronnie Brown. In Williams' eyes, he can offer Miami a pair of very productive seasons before stepping aside to make room for Brown and reverting to retirement.

"I've still got 4,000 yards left in me," Williams wrote, meaning two years at 2,000 per. "Who is gonna turn that down?"

Obviously, it's not that simple. There's the weight issue, along with the marijuana factor. Williams would likely face a four-game suspension upon ending his retirement, and he'd either have to alter his recreational habits or get something a hell of a lot more effective at beating drug tests than Onterrio Smith's "The Original Whizzinator."

There's also the question of how Williams would be received by his teammates, many of whom felt he abandoned them when he abruptly retired just before the start of training camp last year. He accepts the fact that there will be locker-room backlash but doesn't think it's anything he can't handle -- especially once he reminds them of his toughness during games. Certainly, most fans of the team are bitter in the wake of the disaster that was 2004. Yet something tells me that both groups, now that time has passed, might cut Williams some slack. So much has happened since he left -- Dave Wannstedt's resignation, Saban's coronation, the jettisoning of Jay Fielder, the drafting of Brown -- that it's almost as if Williams would be returning to a different franchise.

Besides, as Williams correctly pointed out, on-field heroics can cover up a lot of sins. Even among the most ardent Ricky bashers, the first time he takes a handoff, bursts through the line of scrimmage, bounces off a linebacker and outraces everyone to the end zone, it will be greeted with unabashed cheers.

To put it another way: The same guys yelling, "You suck, pothead!" will then be begging, "Please, Mr. Williams, will you sign my Zig-Zags?"

Williams finds it odd that so many people seem to chastise him more than they do those players who've tested positive for steroids, and he is heartened that he has achieved some of the clarity he sought when he bolted 10 months ago. "It took me almost a year to figure out the reason for quitting," he wrote. "The analogy I came up with was that I was renting my life. I needed to go out and make a down payment so I would stop wasting money."

Do you now own your own life? I asked.

"So many of us cannot decipher between who we are and what we do," he answered. "I am in the process of negotiating with the mortgage company."

That would seem to suggest that Williams is strongly considering a comeback, but there's a side of him that remains far, far removed from the NFL lifestyle. He recently spent six weeks in India as the attendant for Swami Sitaramananda, a Vietnamese woman he met after participating in one of her fellow swami's yoga classes at the California College of Ayurveda. Williams ultimately dropped out of school and began studying under Swami Sitaramananda.

"She has an amazing ability to understand my mind, to know what I am thinking," Williams wrote, adding that since he has returned from India, "I am in culture shock. I'm having a tough time dealing with regular folk."

While in India Williams witnessed something that he came to view as an allegory, one that may or may not shed some light onto his future plans. "I tell the story of the frustrated monkey," Williams wrote. "He wanted some cookies so bad, he put his hand in the jar, grabbed a big handful. Then, when he couldn't get his hand out, he became very angry."

And how did Williams react?

"I told him to just let the cookies go."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/michael_silver/05/20/silver.ricky/index.html
Hard to believe isn't it? Smoke pot and LOSE 40 pounds. Wow.

silver

Reaction score
we once had a number one draftee at RB who had the same retire and lose weight issue. he came back only to prove he didn't have anything left.

Duane Thomas

jksmith269

Reaction score
silver said:
we once had a number one draftee at RB who had the same retire and lose weight issue. he came back only to prove he didn't have anything left.

Duane Thomas
The thing with Rickey was he was all muscle and once you loose muscle weight its hard to put back on I don't think its something you can do quickly with out the use of DRUGS

Bobo

Reaction score
Muscle weight is usually easy to put back on, not hard.

jksmith269

Reaction score
Bobo said:
Muscle weight is usually easy to put back on, not hard.
So you think he can put on 40lbs of muscle in two months with out roids? Most players take a full year to add 10-20lbs of muscle but again thats new muscle not lost then regained muscle if that makes a difference....

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
Hard to believe isn't it? Smoke pot and LOSE 40 pounds. Wow.
It's not impossible to believe that he lost 40 pounds if he lived in India, either. If you've ever been there, it's a fascinating place but you really can't eat anything but vegetarian food (unless you want to get sick). But you're probably right, it's probably the pot.

followthestar

Reaction score
i would bet money that Stepnoski has been in touch with Ricky, as Mark went so far as to become a spokesman for marijuana reform. in the Age of Political Correctness i hold no grudge against Ricky for his "hobby" but i question how he will put his desires aside and commit to football and football alone.
even then, i cannot condone the way he let his teammates, fans, and organization down. they say a leopard never changes its spots, and even should the miraculous occur and he return, how long can he stay clean?
and even if he does come back and can stay away from the Evil Weed, how will he convince the O-linemen to block for him? they'll just go "Oops, sorry Ricky i was out of position to block that guy. let me help you up..."

edwardo

Reaction score
The weight issue is very interesting; Ricky was a fast runner and if he is a lean machine the speed issue would be intriguing.

More importantly is money. My guess is that Saban wants to rehabilitate Ricky just enought to give him some value to get some type of draft pick value out of the mess. Remember Ricky is in a world of hurt because he owes the Dolphins a whole bunch of money.

Rude

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
So you think he can put on 40lbs of muscle in two months with out roids? Most players take a full year to add 10-20lbs of muscle but again thats new muscle not lost then regained muscle if that makes a difference....

Muscle Memory ;)

If he wants he can easy put on most of that weight back.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
40 LBS... that sounds like a strethc too. But he can probably gain 30 lbs back quite easily.

jksmith269

Reaction score
edwardo said:
The weight issue is very interesting; Ricky was a fast runner and if he is a lean machine the speed issue would be intriguing.

More importantly is money. My guess is that Saban wants to rehabilitate Ricky just enought to give him some value to get some type of draft pick value out of the mess. Remember Ricky is in a world of hurt because he owes the Dolphins a whole bunch of money.

That is hard to swallow I mean you have players this year like Shuan Alexander and Edge that couldn't command a second round pick what is Rickey going to command right now a 6th if he proves he can still run that may go as high as a 4th but I don't see any higher because of the I Quit factor. Now what team could he go to and be helpful now that may give a fourth rounder now for him??? I would think maybe Jax or Zona but the choices are few and far between and does Miami trade him? I would think if he comes back the amount he will owe back will be removed but if they trade him and then he quits half way through the season no one would be able to sue him because Miami traded him and unless he signs a new deal the team the traded for him is out a draft pick. So Rickey could walk away again and be free and clear plus earn a few game checks.... Who knows I wouldn't trust him but at the same time I would give a fifth rounder for him if I needed a RB...

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Billy Bullocks said:
40 LBS... that sounds like a strethc too. But he can probably gain 30 lbs back quite easily.
Considering the motivation Ricky Williams has shown the last couple of year, I wouldn't call putting 30 lbs back on "quite easily" done by him. Maybe 3 lbs.