SI.com: Big question mark in Big D

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Big question mark in Big D
'Boys feast on woeful QBs -- can they stop real ones?
Posted: Wednesday October 31, 2007 2:25PM; Updated: Wednesday October 31, 2007 2:25PM

p1_ware.jpg

Linebacker DeMarcus Ware leads the Cowboys with 5 1/2 sacks this season.
Ed Wolfstein/Icon SMI

Here we are almost halfway through the 2007 football season, and we still have no idea what the Cowboys' defense is all about.

The Cowboys are 6-1, seemingly on the way to their first NFC East title since 1998, although the Giants continue to win and somehow remain just one game out with one more head-to-head battle looming.

We know how effective the Cowboys are on offense. The passing game is explosive with Tony Romo (who's been hanging out more lately with Britney Spears than with Marcus Spears) chucking the ball up and down the field to Patrick Crayton, Jason Witten and Terrell Owens. And Marion Barber remains one of the NFL's most underrated tailbacks.

No issue there. No mystery. They can put up points in a hurry. But what about their defense? It's stout against the run, top-5 in yards allowed and yards per-carry. But the two times it has faced a real, live, ambulatory quarterback, it got shredded.

For the most part, the Cowboys have built their 6-1 record against a series of inept, inexperienced and injured quarterbacks. They've battered backups and routed rookies. And when they've faced a quarterback with any sort of track record, they haven't been able to slow him down.

When the Cowboys beat the Dolphins, they toppled 37-year-old Trent Green. When they beat the Bears, they saw Rex Grossman at his worst, just days before he was benched. When they beat the Rams, they got a combination of a wincing Marc Bulger, playing with two painful broken ribs, and journeyman Gus Frerotte, now stinking it up for his seventh NFL team in 10 years. When they escaped the Bills, they beat rookie Trent Edwards, making his second career start. And when they beat the Vikings, all they had to overcome was a woefully overmatched Tarvaris Jackson in his sixth NFL start and maybe his last one for a long time.

They have faced two healthy, experienced quarterbacks who weren't on the brink of getting benched: Eli Manning and Tom Brady. And those two combined for 700 passing yards, completed 68 percent of their passes, threw nine touchdowns and one interception and put up 83 points. Combined passer rating: 141.0.

OK, so Brady does this to everybody, point taken. But Manning doesn't. In fact, his 300-yard, four-touchdown performance against Dallas is the only one of his career. Since completing 68 percent of his passes with four TDs and one INT against the Cowboys on opening day, Manning has thrown nine TDs and eight interceptions and completed a pedestrian 56 percent of his passes.

He was better -- far better -- against Dallas than against anybody else. In fact, his four-TD performance against the Cowboys is the only time this year he's thrown more than two touchdowns.

Brady also was better against Dallas than he's been against any other team. His 388 yards were his most in five years and the most he's ever had in a game without an interception.

Although the Cowboys do have several more games against lifeless passing offenses -- the Commanders twice, the Panthers with 71-year-old Vinny Testaverde, the Jets with whoever -- they also have the Eagles twice with long-time nemesis Donovan McNabb; the Giants again, this time at the Meadowlands; the Packers and rejuvenated Brett Favre; and the Lions, with their wide-open passing attack.

Despite facing guys like a decrepit Green, a hapless Jackson, a woeful Grossman, a raw Edwards and an injured Bulger, the Cowboys rank only 13th in the NFL against the pass. It's tough to say their pass defense is overrated, we just don't know how good it is because it's only been tested a couple times. And those didn't go too well.

Certainly Terrance Newman and Anthony Henry (when healthy) are a very good set of corners. Roy Williams is a sledgehammer hitter when he's not giving some poor receiver the Riva Ridge treatment. And Demarcus Ware and Greg Ellis are providing steady pass pressure.

But the second half of the season will show exactly what kind of defense this truly is. A division-winning defense? Maybe. A Super Bowl defense? Could be. Or just a unit that's been able to take advantage of a hapless parade of quarterbacks and is in for a long second half and disappointing postseason once the quality of opposition goes up?

We'll know soon.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1738440 said:
Big question mark in Big D
'Boys feast on woeful QBs -- can they stop real ones?

For the most part, the Cowboys have built their 6-1 record against a series of inept, inexperienced and injured quarterbacks. They've battered backups and routed rookies. And when they've faced a quarterback with any sort of track record, they haven't been able to slow him down.

They have faced two healthy, experienced quarterbacks who weren't on the brink of getting benched: Eli Manning and Tom Brady. And those two combined for 700 passing yards, completed 68 percent of their passes, threw nine touchdowns and one interception and put up 83 points. Combined passer rating: 141.0.

OK, so Brady does this to everybody, point taken. But Manning doesn't. In fact, his 300-yard, four-touchdown performance against Dallas is the only one of his career. Since completing 68 percent of his passes with four TDs and one INT against the Cowboys on opening day, Manning has thrown nine TDs and eight interceptions and completed a pedestrian 56 percent of his passes.

We'll know soon.

Truer words have never been written

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
No argument here. This defense still has plenty to prove and running out of excuses.

Word Mofo

Reaction score
If injuries are valid excuses for other teams quarterbacks, then why aren't they an excuse for our secondary?

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Word Mofo;1738580 said:
If injuries are valid excuses for other teams quarterbacks, then why aren't they an excuse for our secondary?

Everyone has injuries...few use the excuse more than the Dallas "D". It's time to start shutting good teams down...it must start this week against McHasbeen and co.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Word Mofo;1738580 said:

The ONE player(QB) that is involved in every offensive play vs. a few missing defensive starters that are not....

Not a good comparison IMO

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I still want to know why the Giants' D is getting so much love, then. They've done about what we've done, except they haven't faced the Pats. And if it's so bad that they scored 35 on us, what about us scoring 45 on them?

And I love how no one thinks it makes a difference that it was our very first game in a new defense. Some teams take a whole year or more to adjust to a new scheme.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
Well... Separately, Tom Brady had a 129.6 Rating and Eli Manning had a 113.1 Rating. How they got "Combined passer rating: 141.0" is beyond me, you don't combine numbers like that or if you do THAT STAT ONLY GETS BETTER, you can throw in Minni's Jackson in there and it will probably still improve. "True words", yeah sure.

You'd think to take the average instead of combine all their yards and TDs. But hey, I'm no fancy journalist at SI.com trying to sell a story.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1738605 said:
I still want to know why the Giants' D is getting so much love, then. They've done about what we've done, except they haven't faced the Pats. And if it's so bad that they scored 35 on us, what about us scoring 45 on them?

And I love how no one thinks it makes a difference that it was our very first game in a new defense. Some teams take a whole year or more to adjust to a new scheme.

I have to agree there. Its NEVER brought up about their opponents during their 6 game winning streak.

I will also agree somewhat about it being the first game. Until we atleast start containing the good teams.. we are a defense that gives up alot of points and big plays.

thekavorka

Reaction score
Hypnotoad;1738624 said:
Well... Separately, Tom Brady had a 129.6 Rating and Eli Manning had a 113.1 Rating. How they got "Combined passer rating: 141.0" is beyond me, you don't combine numbers like that or if you do THAT STAT ONLY GETS BETTER, you can throw in Minni's Jackson in there and it will probably still improve. "True words", yeah sure.

You'd think to take the average instead of combine all their yards and TDs. But hey, I'm no fancy journalist at SI.com trying to sell a story.

Does that really matter? You're arguing about semantics here. The point is that they did really well against the defense.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
anyone notice that Manning and Brady used alot of 3-step drop and quick passes to do their damage? that's how you defeat the blitz, esp. one that is playing a zone D and is giving up 10 yard cushions to the receiver, it's not an excuse, just a very pertinent fact, and the reason we're giving receivers alot of cushion is because we haven't had a healthy Newman and Henry on the field, in the same game together, all year, so we have had either 1 of the 2 starting healthy, and an average #2 who is playing above himself, and a special teamer at #3you guys should have known that our D was to give up yards in the passing game, just because of the nature of it, and expected even more if we were to be undermanned in the secondary, which we have been all year thus far, hopefully getting Henry and Newman on the field together, and another pass-rusher in the fold (Tank) will help us do better against good QBs

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
thekavorka;1738629 said:
Does that really matter? You're arguing about semantics here. The point is that they did really well against the defense.

My problem is its a deceiving stat, especially to measure our defensive effectiveness. The Passer rating is a weird stat to calculate you can get 300 TDs and it wouldn't give you a 158.3 (118.75). You can be 300/300 for 300 TDs and you wont get a 158.3 (118.75). But if you take those same numbers and add only more yards to them you get a better rating. A 121 is huge compared to 141. So of course a high scoring game with lots of yards is going to get you a better rating.

If our defense ever has to face Tom Brady and Eli Manning on the field at the same time with different footballs im hella scared. Otherwise, give me the cowboys defense.

STSINAZ

Reaction score
if you dont have healthy corners you are in trouble on this team because roy williams cant cover...no ellis means no passrush also...that about sums up the problems...i hope we are healthy the rest of the year....if we are i say we can contend with the teams we play...

thekavorka

Reaction score
Hypnotoad;1738646 said:
My problem is its a deceiving stat, especially to measure our defensive effectiveness. The Passer rating is a weird stat to calculate you can get 300 TDs and it wouldn't give you a 158.3 (118.75). You can be 300/300 for 300 TDs and you wont get a 158.3 (118.75). But if you take those same numbers and add only more yards to them you get a better rating. A 121 is huge compared to 141. So of course a high scoring game with lots of yards is going to get you a better rating.

If our defense ever has to face Tom Brady and Eli Manning on the field at the same time with different footballs im hella scared. Otherwise, give me the cowboys defense.

I understand your point, but honestly, I don't see a huge difference between 121 and 141. I think there's a threshold where there isn't a big difference in QB rating.

Eli's and Brady's QB rating both suggest they had great days against the Cowboys. Maybe not as amazing as 141 would suggest, but very good nonetheless, and that's what the article is arguing.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
thekavorka;1738679 said:
I understand your point, but honestly, I don't see a huge difference between 121 and 141. I think there's a threshold where there isn't a big difference in QB rating.

Eli's and Brady's QB rating both suggest they had great days against the Cowboys. Maybe not as amazing as 141 would suggest, but very good nonetheless, and that's what the article is arguing.

Our defense is good enough to win the division. The article likes to say we beat the Bears, Rams, Vikings, Dolphins, and Bills all who eventually replaced QBs right after or weeks after playing us. I like to believe our defense ruined those QBs careers. ;)

Right now, it doesn't matter how our defense compares to the best in the AFC because you don't know what can happen. Our defense leads our division and our conference. The Giants, Commanders, and Eagles have to play similar teams as us and their defensive stats aren't much better or much worse than ours are. The Commanders give up 10 more yards per game than us and they are the worst of the east.

Right now we are nothing amazing, but we have the potential to improve. At a time where teams are getting injured or exposed, we are improving and getting healthy, not alot of teams can say that.

I like what I see better than what the article tells me is there.

J-DOG

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1738605 said:

That's exactly what I was gonna say.
The Giants got praise for beating a winless Dolphins team in England by 3pts.
If the Cowboys had done that we would have been hammered by the press.

BoysRule2

Benched
Reaction score
J-DOG;1738754 said:
That's exactly what I was gonna say.
The Giants got praise for beating a winless Dolphins team in England by 3pts.
If the Cowboys had done that we would have been hammered by the press.

I'm just glad we didn't have to play on that aweful turf-both teams could have come out with injured players, they were lucky.