Sleeper: Western Ontario DT Vaughn Martin; Anyone know about him?

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Sleeper: Western Ontario DT Vaughn Martin
3:00 PM Sun, Apr 12, 2009 | Permalink
Rick Gosselin E-mail News tips

There's risk involved for an underclassman applying for early admission to an NFL draft. There's no turning back. If you become a late-round selection or even go undrafted, you can't go return to college and finish up. The moment you sign off for early entry to a draft, you become a professional.

But there's no risk involved for defensive tackle Vaughn Martin. He's leaving three years or eligibility on the table to turn pro -- but he's the only one of the 53 early applicants in 2009 who can return to school if he doesn't like his draft round. That's because Martin is the only one of the 53 who plays his college football outside of the United States and thus outside of NCAA jurisdiction. Martin plays at Western Ontario.

Canadian colleges allow players five years of eligibility and Martin has played only two seasons. If he goes undrafted, he can return to Western Ontario to finish out his college eligibility. He's not even eligible for the CFL draft until 2011.

Look for Martin to become a late-round selection. He signed with Michigan State out of high school, so he has big-school talent. He wound up playing at a prep school (Milford Academy) for a year before enrolling at Western Ontario. He has been a starter in each of his first two seasons, at end in 2007 and tackle in 2008. He's viewed as an NFL project -- but certainly a worthwhile project because of the measurables. He goes 6-4, 335 and gave the NFL a bench press of 33 times at 225 pounds at his campus workout.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Vaughn Martin
Last Updated: March 27th, 2009
Managed By: staff
School Miscellaneous
Height 6 ' 2.8 "
Weight 331 lbs.
Speed 5.15 ( Unofficial )

Graduation Year 2009
Birth Date 11/30/1999
Jersey # 47
Current Position DT
Projected Position DT
CDS Projected 2009 NFL Draft Round Undrafted
Member Projected 2009 NFL Draft Round

Overview
Reportedly did 225 lbs. 33 times and did the 20-yd shuttle in 4.31 secs at a recent work out for NFL scouts.

Only had 20.5 tackles though with 1.5 sacks and 2 FRs as a RS sophomore in 2008, however. Has been declared eligible for the NFL Draft.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
NFL Draft Sleeper Profile: Western Ontario DT Vaughn Martin by Sayre Bedinger (Senior Writer)
617 reads
Preview/Prediction
March 30, 2009

Today's Must Reads
The Five Best Hitting Pitchers in Baseball The Globalization of the UFC The Top Five Shots in Masters History We have all heard of the small school prospect. Perhaps a player like Marques Colston will emerge from a school like Hofstra, or Steve Smith and Chad Johnson both emerge from the same junior college.

The NFL, however, has never seen anything quite like 22-year old Vaughn Martin. An intriguing article on NFL.com prompted me to take a look at this "mystery" prospect.

Martin is a red-shirt sophomore out of Western Ontario University, a school not known for producing many NFL studs. In fact, Martin would become the one and only Western Ontario player to grace an NFL field in 2009.

So why bring this kid up? He's just another NFL hopeful right? Wrong.

At a recent pro day held just across the border between the United States and Canada, Martin wowed scouts with his athletic ability. He measures at 6'4" 327 pounds, and ran the 40-yard dash in 5.04 seconds. He also threw up 225 pounds on the bench press 32 times.

Even though he passed up a chance to play defensive tackle for the Michigan State Spartans coming out of high school, he still plans on playing professionally nowhere but here in the United States, even forgoing three years of college eligibility to do so.

“I’m raw, but I am extremely athletic,” Martin told NFL.com. “I am bigger than most of the guys already playing those positions and I’m tough. With me, you get a blank canvas to mold into whatever you want to mold me into.”

Martin's passing on three years of eligibility doesn't affect him with Western Ontario, and even if he goes undrafted, he can still return there and play football again. However, he has no intentions of pursuing that option.

It will be interesting, at the very least, to see what happens to this "diamond in the rough" come draft day

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Interesting.......Someone to keep an eye on

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2727205 said:
i agree Home of Legends, thats why i posted it,

Very few of these actually really intrest me. There are dozens of sleepers every year that never pan out but this seems different to me. A little research is on my to do list today. I'll admit, it's a rare occurrence when one of these is posted and I don't know anything about them.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2727499 said:
Very few of these actually really intrest me. There are dozens of sleepers every year that never pan out but this seems different to me. A little research is on my to do list today. I'll admit, it's a rare occurrence when one of these is posted and I don't know anything about them.

right on Home of Legends, like parcells said, how did the kid do when he played football, you are what you are

did he make lots of tackles or stand up offensive linemen to allow linebacker to flow to the runner, etc

thats the key, see what he did on the field

measurables, times in 40 are just that and nothing more, its how you produce on the field, either you have it or you dont

granted now and then you find a sleeper like the cowboys found Leon Lett

thats why i posted about the guy, dont know too much about him except for what i posted

and i heard that the packers are looking at him in the lower rounds too

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
If anything, priority UDFA. "Blank canvas" is code for limited repetoire (technique, experience, competition).

Think Lowber. Pure project.

Where the heck is Lowber anyway? I always thought he should have made the team over the other scrub WRs on PS. Including Amendola.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I think if a player leaves early for the draft, he should be allowed to return to school if he isn't drafted, as long as he doesn't sign with an agent.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Biggems;2728620 said:
I think if a player leaves early for the draft, he should be allowed to return to school if he isn't drafted, as long as he doesn't sign with an agent.

totally agree biggems